Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
After installation, open the app and sign in. Enable push notifications in Preferences if you want alerts. On iPhone and iPad, push requires a Home Screen web app and iOS or iPadOS 16.4 or later.
Sign in to manage notificationsInstallation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
Web browser does play a role in security, but it can't do anything else than to block access to malicious resource if configured properly.@Marko :)
I'm not blaming Firefox.
It's a fact.
Users who use any browser because they believe the browser plays almost no role in their security setup probably don't care.
For me, since I consider the browser a fundamental component of my security setup, it matters more than it does to others.![]()
Web browser does play a role in security, but it can't do anything else than to block access to malicious resource if configured properly.
First step is securing the network (using malware-blocking DNS), then it's securing the web browser (ad blocker, malware-blocking extension and Google Safe Browsing), and the last step is securing the system using antivirus software.
Brave is doing something with the file after download which looks to Defender like it's trying to open it so it immediately starts the scan and takes care of the malicious file. Firefox just downloads the file and that's why Defender isn't triggered, though it should be if there wasn't a bug in Defender.
Hence why I said following.Yes and no.
Antivirus software doesn’t always protect the operating system; otherwise, no one would have gotten infected in the past either.
And it’s still possible to protect the operating system even without real-time antivirus protection.
I used Windows XP from 2014 to 2021, without real-time antivirus protection, and never had any infection issues while performing my normal daily online activities.
Back when no one thought it was possible.
I reported the issue to Microsoft since it’s also happening with Edge, though I have no idea why. If they want logs, I’ll provide them. I’m glad you mentioned this have they even tried to fix it, or is the Microsoft Edge problem something new?or years. It is not supported by Microsoft Defender "Block At Firtst Sight" feature.
You're wrongly blaming Firefox for this.
It seems that the issue is related to your computer configuration. I tested the EICAR download in Edge, and the file was correctly blocked by MD just after the download.I reported the issue to Microsoft since it’s also happening with Edge, though I have no idea why. If they want logs, I’ll provide them. I’m glad you mentioned this have they even tried to fix it, or is the Microsoft Edge problem something new?
This is crazy why is it only happening to me? I’ve gone through every possible setting and configuration, and I have nothing left to try. i cannot get this it working they way it should.It seems that the issue is related to your computer configuration. I tested the EICAR download in Edge, and the file was correctly blocked by MD just after the download.
Do the downloaded files have the Mark of the Web?
I think most companies will adapt to the changes or at least find a way to keep up, but I believe GenDigital and other high-profile companies wont just throw in the towel. Windows Defender isn’t very promising at this point it feels clunky and slow to open compared to AVG, Avast, Norton, Malwarebytes, and Kaspersky.Well, I have made the choice to go with my updated clean install of windows 11.
I am using nothing, other than MSD, and I might just leave it this way since Ai is perfecting the code, security, and usability at such a fast pace.
This pace of 100's of thousands of fixes by Ai, means no one else's code is an appropriate fit, or aligned any longer with Windows 11 changes that happen this fast, unless Bitdefender and Kaspersky have created or purchased the same Ai, Microsoft is using, and correcting their code at the same pace as Microsoft.
This fast pace to fix and secure, would seemingly, possibly not intentionally, push EVERY security product off the chessboard.
To do otherwise, with all these changes and improvements in my mind would be like using Kaspersky 2001
Well, I have made the choice to go with my updated clean install of windows 11.
I am using nothing, other than MSD, and I might just leave it this way since Ai is perfecting the code, security, and usability at such a fast pace.
This pace of 100's of thousands of fixes by Ai, means no one else's code is an appropriate fit, or aligned any longer with Windows 11 changes that happen this fast, unless Bitdefender and Kaspersky have created or purchased the same Ai, Microsoft is using, and correcting their code at the same pace as Microsoft.
This fast pace to fix and secure, would seemingly, possibly not intentionally, push EVERY security product off the chessboard.
To do otherwise, with all these changes and improvements in my mind would be like using Kaspersky 2001
I have a worse scenario; once MD did not detected the exe file after being downloaded and after being manually scanned, although it flags it on VT.
What bugs other than the file wasn't being detected on download? I will not be using hardening, other than some of the tweaks I did as I had don't want to deal with some of the benign hardening tool prompts I was getting (3 years ago). Otherwise, I agree with Marko's post. I'm 5 days into using MD, so I'm curiousThis as well as the issues in OP post are the two main reasons why no matter how many times i try to use MD for any ammount of time. it never lasts longer on the PC's int eh house than about a week.
its too buggy overall despite the excellent detection rates with all the setting in DefenderUI.
You guys do realize that malicious file saved in your Downloads folder isn't doing any damage unless it's being loaded into memory, right?
MD needs a dedicated quarantine subtab, not to search for among history entries.What bugs other than the file wasn't being detected on download?
MD needs a dedicated quarantine subtab, not to search for among history entries.
What if I have erased history by one of the available scripts on Github, where can I find the quarantined files to restore?
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes