Advice Request Disabling these in Kaspersky Standard.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I know what I am doing and I what files I download. So is this okay to disable these three settings?

1:
1656331032427.png

2:

1656331079874.png

3. System Watcher.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
what are the reasons not to disable system watcher? Thank you.
It's the part of Kaspersky that protects against malware that doesn't have signatures available in it's database aka the Behavior Blocker (BB).

From Kaspersky Support:
System Watcher protects against ransomware and file-encrypting malware and rolls back actions performed by malicious programs.

The System Watcher component includes:

• Automatic Exploit Prevention, the technology which prevents and blocks the actions of exploits.
  • Protection against screen lockers, which detects and removes ad banners when you press the keyboard combination specified in the component settings.
  • Application Activity Control, which performs an action specified in the component settings when it detects suspicious application behavior.
  • Rollback of application actions, which rolls back the actions performed by a malicious application. Information about suspicious actions performed by applications is collected continuously unless you disable the component.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Because I never get my system infected with malware. I mean I am always careful. So, what are the reasons not to disable system watcher? Thank you.
If you supposedly cant get infected, then why use Kaspersky? By disabling system watcher you greatly decrease the protection against zero day malware as System Watcher is Kaspersky's Behavior blocker and now Kaspersky has to rely completely on its cloud and signatures for detection, and you no longer receive protection against exploitation of vulnerabilities. I also wouldnt disable Stalkerware and other applications as RAT's generally fall under this category.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
System Watcher is a critical component of Kaspersky. It must remain activated.
It's like driving a car without insurance.... Highly risky. Keep activate this shield

The other 2 rules must also be enabled. This allows the detection of adware, keyloggers, PUPs, riskware etc.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
In my opinion option 1 could be disabled. I don't want Kaspersky to perform automatically a task but i want to be asked first. I hate full automatism in security. We must use our brain sometimes. 😊 They might have FP and i don't want things deleted automatically as it could bring more pain than gain but this is only my opinion. Where Kaspersky fails it's my brain intervening (wishful thinking). I will choose what to delete/quarantine, etc. The options 2 and 3 i keep them enabled but amirr is asking us an opinion on disabling them. For 2 and 3 my advice is to leave them enabled.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I agree with all. Thank you. But reading description for System Watcher, when it said Roll back, I thought it automatically creates system restore point. And I didn't want that happen, in order to boost performance of my 2016 made PC.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I agree with all. Thank you. But reading description for System Watcher, when it said Roll back, I thought it automatically creates system restore point. And I didn't want that happen, in order to boost performance of my 2016 made PC.

You may would feel better when you select the option "Ask user" related to rollback by System Watcher:
  • Ask user. If System Watcher, File Anti-Virus, or the results of a scan task confirm that it is necessary to perform a rollback, System Watcher prompts the user for action. This option is available if the Perform recommended actions automatically check box is cleared under Settings → Performance settings → PC resource consumption.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.