New Update Emsisoft Browser Security

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Every time you visit a new website, it sends a calculated hash value of the domain name to our servers once, and then receives a list of matching patterns that are applied locally on your computer. Those patterns are then kept for successive visits of pages on the same host/domain, which not only significantly speeds up the matching, but also ensures that Emsisoft and its employees will never know what you’re doing on a particular website. https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1974/emsisoft-browser-security/
Does "patterns are then kept for successive visits of pages on the same host/domain" mean kept per host/domain....per browser session? Kept where?
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Does "patterns are then kept for successive visits of pages on the same host/domain" mean kept per host/domain....per browser session? Kept where?
Thanks
Patterns are cached per host and they are stored locally using your browser's local storage for 15 minutes before they are purged from the cache and new patterns are requested from the backend.

boombastik

Level 2
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
When i report a bad site, if i want to report an another one after one minute i cant. I must close the Firefox and reopened.
As i understand with this way someone cant abuse the system. Maybe is better to introduse some internal timing so someone can report another site after one minute for example?

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Patterns are cached per host and they are stored locally using your browser's local storage for 15 minutes before they are purged from the cache and new patterns are requested from the backend.
Okay, my browser feels the same in n' out of sandbox.
Okay, so I won't need direct access (write to local storage) from my browser sandbox... since, patterns are purged @ 15 minutes.
Thanks

Last edited:

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Hello, dr.web cureIT detects the Emsisoft extension for chrome as malware. I just wanted to report it. Best regards. (y)

Code:
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\jfofijpkapingknllefalncmbiienkab\2018.12.0.12_0\lib\rc4.js - quarantined

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
There is. At the moment we have been collecting usage statistics to see which of the extensions are more popular. While all the major browsers implement more or less the same extension API, there are a lot of differences between them still. As always we try to go with the lowest common denominator. We will most likely discontinue the Edge extension, as it only accounts for 0.4% of all lookups, which will allow us to implement a couple of more advanced features in the future. When exactly that is going to happen, isn't entirely sure yet though.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to give you a little Christmas present in form of a new component that you can test a bit earlier than anyone else if you want to. The next Emsisoft Anti-Malware release will include a new component we call "Emsisoft Browser Security".

View attachment 204313

Emsisoft Browser Security is a cloud-based browser extension for Firefox as well as Chrome. It is powered by the same database that also powers the Emsisoft Surf Protection. However, since it is part of the browser and has access to the actual URLs and the page content without breaking SSL, it can use a lot more advanced detections, which will greatly increase the detection of phishing websites in particular.

Unlike a lot of other cloud-based extensions, who will send any URL you visit in clear-text to a backend somewhere, we decided to make it a lot more privacy-conscious. So instead of URLs in plaintext, we only ever see hashes of parts of the URLs you visit, which we can't turn back into their readable form. Any processing that requires the entire URL, is done completely client-side, so the sites you visit never leave your browser.

You can install the extensions here:
Emsisoft Browser Security – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-GB)
Emsisoft Browser Security

Feel free to post your feedback and merry Christmas! :)

Ty EMSISOFT! It has some time i was looking for a security extension that respect privacy! I've already used your emsifot emergency kit a few times. And now i'll start to use this EBS. 👏👏👏

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.