Advice Request Emsisoft static detection - is it getting worse?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
This is why proactive protection is the true measure of any security solution; detecting by signature will fail at some point - and after that - the only thing protecting the system is proactive protection.

it's about eliminating known or unknown, passive or active treats. We cannot only rely on static because treats vary countless and unpredictably and we cannot only rely on dynamic because treats can be so specific. The point is just eliminating possibly all treats on your stuff either they're sleeping or running. I am agree it's noway 100% but at least AVs try to eliminate them as much as possible by various methods as a package

H

hjlbx

it's about eliminating known or unknown, passive or active treats. We cannot only rely on static because treats vary countless and unpredictably and we cannot only rely on dynamic because treats can be so specific. The point is just eliminating possibly all treats on your stuff either they're sleeping or running. I am agree it's noway 100% but at least AVs try to eliminate them as much as possible by various methods as a package

• The advantage of scan engine is that "mechanically" it is extremely reliable - meaning it will malfunction at a very low rate.
  • The disadvantage of scan engine is that the detection rate is dependent upon the existence of a signature = unreliable detection rate; no detection (complete bypass).
  • The advantage of proactive security is that it is not dependent upon the existence of a signature = designed to protect system in the absence of a signature.
  • The disadvantage of proactive security is that malware can cause it to mis-behave, malfunction, or fail completely (complete bypass); "mechanically" proactive security is not as reliable as a scan engine.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think any AV or behavior blocker do have a signature. BB doesn't require frequent updates, maybe after a month or a few months, vendors release a newer version to update new algorithsms for BB to be able to deal with new kinds of attacks

Voodooshield Ai which I don't think it relies on signature updates but not sure if it relies on internet connection, please inform me

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I think any AV or behavior blocker do have a signature. BB doesn't require frequent updates, maybe after a month or a few months, vendors release a newer version to update new algorithsms for BB to be able to deal with new kinds of attacks

Voodooshield Ai which I don't think it relies on signature updates but not sure if it relies on internet connection, please inform me

For Voodooshield, please check Cruelsister test. It works also offline (alerts) but is better online.
BB and heuristic use rules that also need to be updated...there was a question on Emsi forum.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I like the new BB setting at the bottom of version 12; it will be interesting to see how well it protects the system for users.

The thing I don't like about it, is that it appears that if an unknown file does not do anything that the behavior blocker detects as suspicious - then it will be allowed.

I don't know why they did not also offer the option to block the install\run of any file that is not specifically whitelisted in EAN.

Users can rely upon EAN in > 90 % of cases...

I think they should give that option also in that setting.

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/25249-behaviour-blocker-anti-malware-network/

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I like the new BB setting at the bottom of version 12; it will be interesting to see how well it protects the system for users.

The thing I don't like about it, is that it appears that if an unknown file does not do anything that the behavior blocker detects as suspicious - then it will be allowed.

I don't know why they did not also offer the option to block the install\run of any file that is not specifically whitelisted in EAN.

Users can rely upon EAN in > 90 % of cases...

I think they should give that option also in that setting.
Here it explains the reasoning a bit.
Expert option for unknown files - Feedback, Comments and Suggestions

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
"Well, on different forums, especially the ones about 'tips' and 'malware', most of the people doing the testing are amateurs at best, who can't distinguish harmless from malicious files. The amount of just trash they use for their testing is stagering. Essentially everything that has a GUI they can't read, because it is Chinese or Russian is malware for them. If we did care for those results, all we would do is introduce a metric ton of false positives. Nothing else." - Fabian (emphasis mine) :D

Anyway, I trust the rationale of Emsisoft's dev team. :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
"Well, on different forums, especially the ones about 'tips' and 'malware', most of the people doing the testing are amateurs at best, who can't distinguish harmless from malicious files. The amount of just trash they use for their testing is stagering. Essentially everything that has a GUI they can't read, because it is Chinese or Russian is malware for them. If we did care for those results, all we would do is introduce a metric ton of false positives. Nothing else." - Fabian (emphasis mine) :D

He is not completely off though. What he is saying might come as a bit offensive to some but in general it's true. Most of us here are amateurs and have limited understanding of malware.
What i like about Emsisoft is that they have an idea of what they want their product to do and stick to it. That is something i appreciate because if i don't like it i can skip their product. Many companies would just say we will think of it and possible add it in future version and at the end it's just bs to please all users that complain.

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Emsisoft has its own idiosincrasy, and i love it, but sometimes it's good to hear its costumers. Amateurs or not, here in MT a lot of people try to help, and i think that work deserves some respect and consideration. I have two Emsi licenses, but there are things i don't like and always there is margin to improve.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Emsisoft has its own idiosincrasy, and i love it, but sometimes it's good to hear its costumers. Amateurs or not, here in MT a lot of people try to help, and i think that work deserves some respect and consideration. I have two Emsi licenses, but there are things i don't like and always there is margin to improve.
Thank you @Malakke for those wise words.
I highly respect Emsisoft and love it's software since I came across it, but regarding @Fabian Wosar 's statement, throw stones at me, but IMO it's also far from professional, criticizing the highly motivated Malware Vault team, but at the time me writing these lines not stating yet what to be improved. We all do test in our spare time, try to improve our knowledge every day, and having learnt a lot by users like @Lucent Warrior. We had a way more "unprofessional" HUB before, now we're using well regarded tools to spot any signs of infection, trying to help developers to improve our beloved AV. We don't like to have to write that the system got infected, but who is helped by us hiding detections, of harm or not. We owe it to our readers in the Vault to clearly indicate the level of protection of the AV they choose, as they spend their money on it. We are of course aware of the influence those ratings have, so we try to avoid any mistakes, self-controlling our work all over the team and sharing experiences and tips in real time.

Also, regarding the trash and the kyrillic GUI "malware", I've not seen much of that in the past weeks / months.
Our tools, VT and competing AVs most of the time clearly indicate the danger of the stuff we collect from well known pages like Hybrid Analysis. If we not see a danger in files tested or if they don't work as supposed, this is clearly indicated. However, we try to avoid those. PUP/PUA are also avoided for good reason, especially chinese ones.

Thank you for reading!

EDIT: Of course thanks to all of those who helped us to make the Malware Vault what it is now!

L

Lucent Warrior

You trust the rational of a Vendor/Developer that has obviously not ventured into the Malware Vault and looked at the tests which are done correctly now as compared to quite some time back when there was a giant crew of users doing nothing but Static "right click scans" and calling it testing, without actaully testing all of the products Modules together as they are designed to work. All the samples are vetted in the Malware Hub and are fresh/low detection. Both static and Dynamic testing takes place, and the ones missed during testing are submitted to the Vendors "YES, YOUR WELCOME FABIAN" for those users time helping your product.

I can attest to BD engine not always being current with signatures, not from testing Emsisoft, but from when i tested Vipre in the Hub, as it had low detection rates as well signature wise, but AVC always kicked in and saved the day.

The fact that the NON-AMATEURS in the HUB, as just not anyone's post will be allowed to stay there unless done correctly, are not using OLD samples like the "YOUTUBERS which do so out of laziness", should not rub anyone the wrong way, it should in fact be held with respect and gratitude that there are users willing to VOLUNTEER their time to help the products/ungrateful vendors.

Since Fabian has the bed side manor of Andrew Dice Clay, i would take his words with a grain of salt.

The reason the Tests done in the Hub are both Static & Dynamic is to show the products complete ability at protecting the system and not focused on just signatures. If at any point, a sample blows past all of the products modules, i would suggest the developer to look into it, and they will be able to do so as the very professional TEAM always submit them.

Now if he was referring to Cruelsisters test, and the fact she would not share her modified samples, well then, do not know what to tell you Fabian as that is her work and her call, and i have much respect for her and her abilities, but this apart does not REFLECT on the Testers in the HUB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
One question for @Der.Reisende and all Emsisoft testers (love your work, of course!). I've seen in Malware Vault that Emsisoft's BB spends some time to reacts against malware (sometimes near to 1 minute). Do you think that in that time malware could infect a machine or drop any suspicious file?
Highly appreciated :)
Malware sleeping in memory for a minute or more is a common trick to avoid detection. Avast Cyber Capture might be something like that, @silversurfer for sure knows more about that, even might correct me if I'm wrong :) Droppers become more and more common (.js ones for example) as them as well as payload is usually not detected by signatures in the first hours. So yes, something will be dropped, but in almost all cases Emsisoft softwares will intercept it as soon as malicious behavior is detected (this is when the malware running in memory stops sleeping by getting triggered by the related script for example). You can clearly spot running malware in SysInternals Process Explorer usually.
Seldom something dropped is not caught by Emsisoft (most because of not being triggered) which is detected by us checking common folders like TEMP, but also by Zemana, HitmanPro or McAfee GetSusp.
SysInternals AutoRuns and TCPView do also indicate malicious entries.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Just for clarification, what I trust is Emsisoft dev's way of developing their software, not their criticism against MT's malware testing. :D

I brought up that quote because he was apparently referring to MT. That's all. :D

And for my opinion, I trust MT malware testers in the Hub. :D

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
You trust the rational of a Vendor/Developer that has obviously not ventured into the Malware Vault and looked at the tests which are done correctly now as compared to quite some time back when there was a giant crew of users doing nothing but Static "right click scans" and calling it testing, without actaully testing all of the products Modules together as they are designed to work. All the samples are vetted in the Malware Hub and are fresh/low detection. Both static and Dynamic testing takes place, and the ones missed during Static testing are submitted to the Vendors "YES, YOUR WELCOME FABIAN" for those users time helping your product.

I can attest to BD engine not always being current with signatures, not from testing Emsisoft, but from when i tested Vipre in the Hub, as it had low detection rates as well signature wise, but AVC always kicked in and saved the day.

The fact that the NON-AMATEURS in the HUB, as just not anyone's post will be allowed to stay there unless done correctly, are not using OLD samples like the "YOUTUBERS which do so out of laziness", should not rub anyone the wrong way, it should in fact be held with respect and gratitude that there are users willing to VOLUNTEER their time to help the products/ungrateful vendors.

Since Fabian has the bed side manor of Andrew Dice Clay, i would take his words with a grain of salt.

The reason the Tests done in the Hub are both Static & Dynamic is to show the products complete ability at protecting the system and not focused on just signatures. If at any point, a sample blows past all of the products modules, i would suggest the developer to look into it, and they will be able to do so as the very professional TEAM always submit them.

Now if he was referring to Cruelsisters test, and the fact she would not share her modified samples, well then, do not know what to tell you Fabian as that is her work and her call, and i have much respect for her and her abilities, but this apart does not REFLECT on the Testers in the HUB.
Very well said, thank you!

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016

They (Emsi devs) should separate the frustration from the reality: they might not be satisfied with the results in the HUB but that is the reality and Emsisoft has certain results. ;)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Well, on different forums, especially the ones about "tips" and "malware", most of the people doing the testing are amateurs at best, who can't distinguish harmless from malicious files. The amount of just trash they use for their testing is stagering. Essentially everything that has a GUI they can't read, because it is Chinese or Russian is malware for them. If we did care for those results, all we would do is introduce a metric ton of false positives. Nothing else.

I don't like arrogant experts like this. I am may be an amateur, but I know which samples are dangerous ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.