• Minor bug fixes and improvements

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
my first and second full scan with the new version took an eternity. :sleep:
registry scan is enabled by default on my scan settings. I dont understand why the otimized smart
scan doesnt work in this case and the registry will be scanned again for a very long time.

and i have seen a lot of errors in the log, where windows files could not be opened :unsure:

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
my first and second full scan with the new version took an eternity. :sleep:
registry scan is enabled by default on my scan. I dont understand why the otimized smart
scan doestn work in this case and the registry will be scanned again for a very long time.

and i have seen a lot of errors in the log, where windows files could not be opened :unsure:
ESET is not fastest when it comes to scanning speed and I also noticed that the newly implemented registry and WMI scan takes long to scan. I'm on pre-release updates so I received this 5-6 days ago and you're right optimized scan don't seem to work here. Anyway, it's good that they've added this into the scanner options and full system scan isn't really necessary unless the user is doubtful about infection so not too much of an issue.

The logs are nothing to be worried about, it's normal. If you scan with Administrator permission then you'll see a bit less of those errors. Those files are usually encrypted or locked by the system so not only ESET but also other AVs can't scan those files either. ESET shows you this in their logs but most other AVs don't, that's it really.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
ESET is not fastest when it comes to scanning speed and I also noticed that the newly implemented registry and WMI scan takes long to scan. I'm on pre-release updates so I received this 5-6 days ago and you're right optimized scan don't seem to work here. Anyway, it's good that they've added this into the scanner options and full system scan isn't really necessary unless the user is doubtful about infection so not too much of an issue.

The logs are nothing to be worried about, it's normal. If you scan with Administrator permission then you'll see a bit less of those errors. Those files are usually encrypted or locked by the system so not only ESET but also other AVs can't scan those files either. ESET shows you this in their logs but most other AVs don't, that's it really.
How do you scan with admin privileges? I always just saw Windows store apps blocked from scanning.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hi, guys, I have been using KIS since its version 2006 came out. Now I have about few months left on my current KIS 2020.
I am thinking of trying ESET Internet Security. The first screenshot in this thread was tempting. I guess ESET is simpler and easier to use?
Thanks for your input.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Hi, guys, I have been using KIS since its version 2006 came out. Now I have about few months left on my current KIS 2020.
I am thinking of trying ESET Internet Security. The first screenshot in this thread was tempting. I guess ESET is simpler and easier to use?
Thanks for your input.
ESET IS is very simple to use. It’s quite effective at default, but can also be tweaked very heavily to lock it down with HIPS and Firewall rule. I don’t bother with firewall rules, but there’s some good resources if you want extra HIPS protections.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019

I like this ESET transparency.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
How do you scan with admin privileges? I always just saw Windows store apps blocked from scanning.
Here 🙂
eset.gif

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
:ROFLMAO: It's been so long since I've run a custom scan I forgot that was there! I used to run weekly scans, now I basically never run a scan (no more than monthly, sometimes less) unless I have a suspicion something is up. Thanks!
Same here. There's also options to change scanning profiles and the profiles can be customized too in advanced settings. Personally I like the "Scan without cleaning" part also. I have some old malwares stored in unprotected zip files on my system. If I ever scan the system (Almost never) then I scan with this option marked so that my precious collectibles don't get removed 😄
1.png2.png

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
ESET IS is very simple to use. It’s quite effective at default, but can also be tweaked very heavily to lock it down with HIPS and Firewall rule. I don’t bother with firewall rules, but there’s some good resources if you want extra HIPS protections.

HIPS modules, they work by default or should be turned on by the user?

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.