[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.kaspersky.com.au/antivirus[/URL]
In-depth Comparison

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
It's nice to see some light hearted banter on an MT thread again. Everyone just giving their own opinions and joking around with each other. It's really good to see everyone getting along with just a bit of light hearted teasing so to speak. (y)

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
norton in my opinion is inferior to eset or kaspersky
If Symantec is honest to his customers and does not botch so many updates, maybe its trustworthy.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

It's nice to see some light hearted banter on an MT thread again. Everyone just giving their own opinions and joking around with each other. It's really good to see everyone getting along with just a bit of light hearted teasing so to speak. (y)

Agreed, and it's very nice to see!

This thread does show that it is in fact possible to have thoughtful and fun conversations. Everyone will have differing opinions on this, or that, but that doesn't mean people have to resort to derogatory comments because one doesn't agree. It will always be more difficult trying to understand another person's point of view reading something vs speaking with them in person, not to mention the language barrier at times. One's approach can make a big difference between having a fun conversation vs having everyone against each other.(y)

PS: the best AV to rule them all is the reaper ;)

Fun fact the first ever AV

Last edited by a moderator:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
You guys are all wrong. The most effective AV is the power cord that is needed by the PSU. Destroy it and you won't ever have a single malware on your PC. I don't know why everyone misses this important step to keep a secure PC. :D:p
First protection is the BRAIN. If you are MT member one year is the best protection for your pc ;)

elquenunca

Level 3
Verified
Dec 23, 2017
If Symantec is honest to his customers and does not botch so many updates, maybe its trustworthy.

Norton the cause of a serious error in my computer in 2008 and since then I have not used it again

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I t has to be said as in the Symantec thread Norton has (unneeded) issues - Protection aside the Norton of today is sadly slowly becoming like the infamous Norton of old that I still remember. As a starter an inability for some users to install it at all isn't helpful, it borders on beyond comprehension this hasn't been sorted - Plus it takes a while for it to update to latest version & many re-boots & more downloads along with other unsorted issues. From my point of view it transparently shows a really 'we don't care attitude' (or don't know how) from them that other vendors don't have. I'm going off Norton fast which is why ESET is on this PC.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Before I post this comment I just want to say that I am not being a fanboy lol. When it comes to traditional home internet security products Kaspersky, in my personal opinion is in a league of it's own. So lets say first place goes to eset or Bitdefender just for argument's sake Kaspersky is above the number one position if you get what I'm trying to say. And, this isn't a new development. Kaspersky has always been the best it just had problems with how heavy it was years ago. And, if we tweak KIS it's as good as it gets for traditional home use. I used eset for a few years and I really like it it's a great security product but it can't hold a candle to Kaspersky. Kaspersky, in my own personal opinion is the benchmark and goal every traditional home internet security software should be aiming for.

Slightly Off-Toppic - But I do have to say that, in the right hands, by that I mean someone who knows when something is definitely safe or knows how to double check if something is safe which probably applies to the overwhelming majority of people on MT Comodo is right next to Kaspersky. WD+KF and your golden. I think WD+ Hard configurator/sys hardener and a Windows firewall control application is better than anything we can pay for. It's irony at it's best though, because people who know how to use those kinds of software and combinations are the people that don't need them lol. Sorry for going off-Topic.

My uncle paid for eset for years and loved it. He know uses Kaspersky free + Hard configurator and he's very happy especially because he's a scrooge and he likes saving his £20-30 a year lol

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Before I post this comment I just want to say that I am not being a fanboy lol. When it comes to traditional home internet security products Kaspersky, in my personal opinion is in a league of it's own. So lets say first place goes to eset or Bitdefender just for argument's sake Kaspersky is above the number one position if you get what I'm trying to say. And, this isn't a new development. Kaspersky has always been the best it just had problems with how heavy it was years ago. And, if we tweak KIS it's as good as it gets for traditional home use. I used eset for a few years and I really like it it's a great security product but it can't hold a candle to Kaspersky. Kaspersky, in my own personal opinion is the benchmark and goal every traditional home internet security software should be aiming for.

Slightly Off-Toppic - But I do have to say that, in the right hands, by that I mean someone who knows when something is definitely safe or knows how to double check if something is safe which probably applies to the overwhelming majority of people on MT Comodo is right next to Kaspersky. WD+KF and your golden. I think WD+ Hard configurator/sys hardener and a Windows firewall control application is better than anything we can pay for. It's irony at it's best though, because people who know how to use those kinds of software and combinations are the people that don't need them lol. Sorry for going off-Topic.

My uncle paid for eset for years and loved it. He know uses Kaspersky free + Hard configurator and he's very happy especially because he's a scrooge and he likes saving his £20-30 a year lol
I do agree with you RE: KIS etc - I recently at last got my brother to move from Panda Free on desktop & lappy (he got free KIS licenses from me) which it also later became apparent (Panda) was causing him stability issues apart from my viewpoint Panda can be great but also not good at all depending on unknown factors.

His laptop isn't high spec but OK & I did suggest him making a few changes to KIS, this scared him to death & made no changes - IMO this is the issue, 99% of people have no idea how to tweak an AV solution & never will or even know it can be done. I no longer use Kaspesky due to the fact they all slow my internet speed down & double the ping only with a VPN, on this PC I need the speed regardless how good KIS/KAV is.

If I tweak Kaspersky to sort this issue it could be argued I end up with ESET/Emsisoft/Norton none of which cause this issue. I'm not willing to sacrifice speed & ping for arguably greater protection. So I'm using ESET. As I have multiple backups of everything & never had a serous infection in well over 20 years I'm not that worried. Should I have to sacrifice speed/ PC responsiveness for the illusion of protection, I'm not sure.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I do agree with you RE: KIS etc - I recently at last got my brother to move from Panda Free on desktop & lappy (he got free KIS licenses from me) which it also later became apparent (Panda) was causing him stability issues apart from my viewpoint Panda can be great but also not good at all depending on unknown factors.

His laptop isn't high spec but OK & I did suggest him making a few changes to KIS, this scared him to death & made no changes - IMO this is the issue, 99% of people have no idea how to tweak an AV solution & never will or even know it can be done. I no longer use Kaspesky due to the fact they all slow my internet speed down & double the ping only with a VPN, on this PC I need the speed regardless how good KIS/KAV is.

If I tweak Kaspersky to sort this issue it could be argued I end up with ESET/Emsisoft/Norton none of which cause this issue. I'm not willing to sacrifice speed & ping for arguably greater protection. So I'm using ESET. As I have multiple backups of everything & never had a serous infection in well over 20 years I'm not that worried. Should I have to sacrifice speed/ PC responsiveness for the illusion of protection, I'm not sure.
Eset is still an amazing product and tweaked it's even better. I don't think we should have to sacrifice internet and system speed for protection Like you said it's been well over 20 years since you've had an infection. A friend of mine who's not tech savvy but he's savvy enough not to click on silly links or use dodgy software has used Avast free for years and he's never had one infectition, which, I think is due to his safe computing habits more than anything else. He does use Ublock origin too but that's all and I've checked his system for him a few times, not because he's asked me to I've just been at his house and given his laptop a check over. So Avast free and an ad blocker + he's not a happy clicker and keeps his system and software up to date and he's been perfectly fine. I think, as enthusiasts on MT we enjoy testing and using different security products so we tend to go over the top at times. Pretty much anyone on MT could get by with WD+HC+ an Ad blocker and common sense and never have a problem in my opinion.
I think you made the right decision going with eset. I really like Kaspersky products, and, as I said I can't rate them high enough. However at the moment I'm using Norton and my system is running so quickly it feels like I haven't got any security installed. I'm using HC with it too. I'm shocked by how much I like Norton and by how well it runs and performs in the hub.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
However at the moment I'm using Norton and my system is running so quickly it feels like I haven't got any security installed. I'm using HC with it too. I'm shocked by how much I like Norton and by how well it runs and performs in the hub.

And that's the thing. Norton has better detection, it's lighter than most, and it's a more refined product than most. And... in my estimation, it is the best performer of 2019 in independent testing. As a stand-alone AV at default settings (used in testing) -- there is nothing better right now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.