Sep 17, 2018
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Check for updates and Notify
User Access Control
Never notify (disabled)
Real-time security
Kaspersky Security Cloud free, Syshardener, Run-by-smartscreen (by Andy Ful)
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana, HitmanPro, NPE, Emsisoft emergency kit
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chromium portable x64 (RAMdisk cache): ublock origin, Notifier for Gmail, Google Translate, h264ify, Windows Defender Browser Protection, Popup blocker (strict)
Maintenance tools
CCleaner+CCenhancer, auslogic disk defragmenter, Defraggler Wise disk cleaner, Wise registry cleaner, IObit Uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller, Syshardener, O&OShutup, WPD, SumatraPDF, EagleGet, SoftPefectRAM Disk, Winrar, Everything Search Engine, Classic Shell, Run-by-Smartscreen
File and Photo backup
Dropbox, Google Drive
System recovery
Norton Ghost
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/rains-laptop.61841/#post-528136

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1. What is the advantage of using ZAM beside CFW in terms of strengthen your system protection? since you already have a powerful Sandbox which has the ability to stop and block even the most advanced Ransomware yet.

Let's guess we allowed the malware to be actively running outside the Sandbox of CFW...
2. What the situation be like?
3. Will ZAM be able to stop and block the malware effectively by using its signatures?

Thanks for answering bro (y):)
1/ the advantage of adding ZAM is I have signatures. Using CF solely provides close to 0 signature. The other reason is CF sandboxes so many of my programs. I install new things almost everyday so I have to whitelist or temporarily disable the sandbox in order to run the files. for example, CF sandboxed my firefox quantum installer this morning and I'm sure it's clean
ZAM can be triggered as soon as I execute a file, then CF will be triggered so if I execute a malware, ZAM will be the first to block it. ZAM is one of the lightest AVs I can find and it has one of the fastest scanning speed
2/ if the malwares run outside the sandbox, I'm screwed because I have no extra layer of protection. Just comodo's virusscope, I enabled it to work outside the sandbox, but it sucks. If I suspect a file is malicious, I will upload to VT and only execute it if the file is at least a week old. I also have shadow defender when I need it
3/ ZAM is great for malwares and PUPs only if they are not zero-day. We know ZAM is really good signatures because it has multiple engines. Besides that, it only has Pandora, which shows mix-bad results with a noticeable amount of FPs

I have extra layers from google chrome, such as norton safe web, metadefender (similar to VT with 40 engines, automatically uploads when I download a file), google safe browsing API, VT hash checker, "Run as smartscreen" from hard_configurator, and finally shadow defender as the last resort

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
It's my high honor to find someone else on MT forums who plays FIFA 18 o_O:love:
I just try to train myself so I can revenge my friends. I was like a beginner/dumb last 2 weeks but I'm much better now
My laptop has bery low FPS and the gameplay is slow too. Playing fifa 18 on my friend's PS4 is million times smoother, almost complete different experience

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Removed:
- Avast free

Added:
- Zemana Antilogger (pandora): I miss its performance

I decided to use Avast Free along with CFW and I prefer Avast Free over ZAM in terms of malware protection and FPs.
1. Do you recommend this combination for me using all of your modified settings/tweaks?
2. Will I face any protection break or conflict in using this combo between Avast Free and CFW? Thank you very much for your good explanation bro(y)

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1. Do you recommend this combination for me using all of your modified settings/tweaks?
2. Will I face any protection break or conflict in using this combo between Avast Free and CFW? Thank you very much for your good explanation bro(y)
1/ in default settings, there could be conflicts between avast and CF
you have to do these:
- avast: disable hardware-assisted virtualization (in troubleshoot or troubleshooting), add comodo folder to exclusion (in the main setting menu)
- CF: add avast folder to "Do not virtualize access to the specificed files/folders" (Containment) and Advanced protection -> miscellaneous -> Exclusions of "detect shellcode injection" -> add avast folder

disable comodo web filter and HIPS
you can remove Behavior shield of avast if you want more speed

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I can not thank you enough bro. You did a great job over here. I wish you a very good luck (y):cool:

If I ask you which of the following combos will give you the best protection and maximum security, also light on the system and finally they do not conflict with each other? then what your answer be like? Thanks bro :)

1. EAM & CFW@cruelsister
2. Avast Free & CFW@cruelsister
3. Kaspersky Free & CFW@cruelsister
4. Zemana Antimalware & CFW@cruelsister

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014

According to what @cruelsister said over here. The last time he tried Avast Free with CFW was about 1 month or so ago, and there were issues on the Avast Free side of things.He also said that current versions of Avast Free may have (as 59er notes) resolved things. I hear a lot regarding any possible conflict or issues.

Could you please describe that combo situation to me the last time you tried Avast Free with CFW? Have you seen any issues or conflict?
Have you done any modifications on both softwares to solve any issues/conflicts within the combo? Thanks bro (y)

Reactions: given

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1. EAM & CFW@cruelsister
2. Avast Free & CFW@cruelsister
3. Kaspersky Free & CFW@cruelsister
4. Zemana Antimalware & CFW@cruelsister
I think zemana + CF would be the lightest be the least secure if you allow a malware to run bypassing CF

kaspersky free would be the best choice if you do some tweaks a few pages before in this thread. However, this combo lacks behavioral blocker, but it's not a problem. With proper tweaks I mentioned, this would be lighter than avast

avast + CF would be the best but only with Behavior shield install -> this would make this the heaviest combo because of Behavior shield

my pick: zemana (for maximum speed) or kaspersky free (max protection and second best speed) + CF

Could you please describe that combo situation to me the last time you tried Avast Free with CFW? Have you seen any issues or conflict?
Have you done any modifications on both softwares to solve any issues/conflicts within the combo? Thanks bro (y)
yes I did have conflicts (BSODs) due to hardware-assisted virtualization. They both utilize hardware virtualization -> conflicts. Disable that -> problem completely solved

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Installed:
- Windows 8.1 Pro -> million times more responsive than W10CU, literally
- Slimjet x86: recommended by the developer instead of the x64 version. Faster, smoother than chrome x64 anyway
- norton safe web

Removed:
- W10CU
- Metadefender: no longer needed
- avira safe shopping/browser safety: a little problem with slimjet

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Installed:
- Windows 8.1 Pro -> million times more responsive than W10CU, literally
- Slimjet x86: recommended by the developer instead of the x64 version. Faster, smoother than chrome x64 anyway
- norton safe web
I thought you used Cent.
How do you notice differences among chromium-based browsers and among some antivirus

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I thought you used Cent.
How do you notice differences among chromium-based browsers and among some antivirus
the differences are based on the memory usage, smoothness when you do intensive tasks, startup speed and how frequent the browser freezes
easily noticed on a laptop with an HDD. slimjet seems to be the lightest

Cent browser, for some reasons, was blocked by kaspersky

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
avast + CF would be the best but only with Behavior shield install -> this would make this the heaviest combo because of Behavior shield

Thank you for answering me bro. Your knowledge is very helpful (y):X3:
You already told me that Avast Free + CFW would be the best but only with Behavior shield install. I just saw something on Avast blog regarding Behavior Shield...
"Behavior Shield is our latest weapon against the threat of ransomware and works in conjunction with our CyberCapture real-time analysis."

The last time you tried Avast Free on your system, Have you Enabled "CyberCapture" or not?
If I Enable this feature then Will I face any conflict with CFW? Thanks bro

Malware Geek on Youtube published a video on a great Avast Free performance against ransomware here and he Enabled "CyberCapture" besides Behavior Shield.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brie and AtlBo

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thank you for answering me bro. Your knowledge is very helpful (y):X3:
You already told me that Avast Free + CFW would be the best but only with Behavior shield install. I just saw something on Avast blog regarding Behavior Shield...
"Behavior Shield is our latest weapon against the threat of ransomware and works in conjunction with our CyberCapture real-time analysis."

The last time you tried Avast Free on your system, Have you Enabled "CyberCapture" or not?
If I Enable this feature then Will I face any conflict with CFW? Thanks bro

Malware Geek on Youtube published a video on a great Avast Free performance against ransomware here and he Enabled "CyberCapture" besides Behavior Shield.
with hardened mode aggressive enabled, cybercapture is nearly useless. cybercapture never works for me, I consider it a half-baked feature
there will be no conflict between avast and CF if hardware virtualization is disabled

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
with hardened mode aggressive enabled, cybercapture is nearly useless. cybercapture never works for me, I consider it a half-baked feature
there will be no conflict between avast and CF if hardware virtualization is disabled
What practical differences does the behavioral blocker add to make it better than the others but not when it is disabled. I assume you mean hardened mode.

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
my pick: zemana (for maximum speed) or kaspersky free (max protection and second best speed) + CF

1. Why didn't you include EAM & CFW@cruelsister in your recommendation? Have you tried this combo yet?

2. If I gave you only 2 combos to choose between:
EAM & CFW@cruelsister and Avast Free & CFW@cruelsister
then Which one will be your choice? and Why?

Thank you very much for your great assistance bro (y);)

Reactions: AtlBo and given

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What practical differences does the behavioral blocker add to make it better than the others but not when it is disabled. I assume you mean hardened mode.
BB will work only when hardened mode fails so it is definitely an additional layer, the last layer
hardened mode aggressive is like a whitelisting module, only safe program can run, only supports .exe files so it can be bypassed by other extensions (.jar, scripts, powershell, cmd,...)
HM Moderate: usually without hardened mode, a suspicious file will be analyzed in DeepScreen (sandbox) for 15 seconds, if it's safe, it can run. With HM moderate, DeepScreen won't be triggered and the file will be blocked
HM aggressive is better

1. Why didn't you include EAM & CFW@cruelsister in your recommendation? Have you tried this combo yet?

2. If I gave you only 2 combos to choose between:
EAM & CFW@cruelsister and Avast Free & CFW@cruelsister
then Which one will be your choice? and Why?

Thank you very much for your great assistance bro (y);)
1/ because EAM is minimum $19-20 while all my options are free. No point to use comodo firewall with a paid AV, money-wasting. We will get almost the same protection level because almost nothing can bypass CF if we allow them to bypass. EAM is also recommended but I don't want to pay
2/ you know my answer :) avast (only file shield, remove Behavior shield and web shield) + CF for sure because it's free

The idea is we should pair CF with a FREE, LIGHT AV with the best possible SIGNATURES. kaspersky is the best free AV for signatures. It suits this perfectly.
Do you recommend to Disable cybercapture in my Avast Free settings?
you can enable it without problem
honestly, I don't want to use cybercapture for some reasons
- you must enable "Participate in the Avast! Community"
- you must install Web shield
- you must download the file from your browser, not from download accelerator
- it will frequently upload files silently and increase your bandwidth usage ~50-100Mb a month or a week if I'm not mistaken, not significant but without CC, the number is much smaller
(- I don't like avast's web shield because it's not optimized well enough -> I removed it -> cybercapture wouldn't work without web shield)

too many requirements for cybercapture and during my time of testing in my main laptop and VM with malwares (>1 year), I never ever got any CC message => I assume it's useless

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.