the new game mode seems not working. I have played some games but in the menu,
it says that he didnt detect any game session :unsure:

1633642438776.png

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Why replace the Bitdefender Engine with avira engine? As far as I know Bitdefender has very good detection, is the Avira engine better?
(1) There was a long period where BitDefender really slacked on zero days and took many days if not weeks to update signatures.
(2) Their engine as a SDK didn't have a good cloud story like the Avira APC
(3) Their signatures and memory footprint were both relatively large compared to Avira

For those reasons, F-Secure preferred Avira as their signature-based scanning engine. It's not to say BitDefender as a product isn't good -- they have their own suite of protection features. But the way F-Secure uses a traditional AV engine is strictly as a signature scanner as one of the 5 or so different engines in the F-Secure product, and Avira was a better match.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Now i have same problem too. I try to play with Battlefield 2042 and game mode is not working in F-Secure SAFE 18.1:

View attachment 261092
Same issue here. Also I wonder if the ransomware protection is working correctly. I have a program that creates at startup a folder in the protected folders. With Windows Defender Controlled folder option it get blocked.

Reactions: Szellem and amico81

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Same issue here. Also I wonder if the ransomware protection is working correctly. I have a program that creates at startup a folder in the protected folders. With Windows Defender Controlled folder option it get blocked.
Game mode seems to detect a Steam game :).

1635105814500.png

No reaction when playing a Blizzard game. There are so many games. I don't know what mechanism F-secure is using to detect a game.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Found bugs in F-Secure.

1) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege doesn't launch with F-Secure enabled. Users are greeted with this error with no indication from F-Secure that it's blocking something.
1.png
You may search on Google or your preferred search engine "rainbow six siege file corruption detected the program will now terminate" and you'll see many reports regarding this.
The solution is to either add the game folder into exclusion or disable F-Secure's real-time protection. This is a rather old issue that should've been fixed by now.

2) Game mode is broken. It activates game mode when Steam is launched and that's it. Don't know what other gaming services does it support.
If you play any DRM free games like the ones on gog(.)com or pirated games, then game mode doesn't turn on.
F-Secure should just do what most AV products does. It should automatically activate game mode when an application is launched in full screen. That's the easiest and the best way to do this.

A paid F-Secure customer should report these two issues to them. Maybe they'll do something about it.

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Found bugs in F-Secure.

1) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege doesn't launch with F-Secure enabled. Users are greeted with this error with no indication from F-Secure that it's blocking something.
View attachment 261525
You may search on Google or your preferred search engine "rainbow six siege file corruption detected the program will now terminate" and you'll see many reports regarding this.
The solution is to either add the game folder into exclusion or disable F-Secure's real-time protection. This is a rather old issue that should've been fixed by now.

2) Game mode is broken. It activates game mode when Steam is launched and that's it. Don't know what other gaming services does it support.
If you play any DRM free games like the ones on gog(.)com or pirated games, then game mode doesn't turn on.
F-Secure should just do what most AV products does. It should automatically activate game mode when an application is launched in full screen. That's the easiest and the best way to do this.

A paid F-Secure customer should report these two issues to them. Maybe they'll do something about it.
Yes, same problem here. F-Secure Automatic Gaming mode not working good. Sometimes dose not detect the game, and automatic game session is not run automaticly. Someone can be reported this problem to F-Secure.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yes, same problem here. F-Secure Automatic Gaming mode not working good. Sometimes dose not detect the game, and automatic game session is not run automaticly. Someone can be reported this problem to F-Secure.
If you're a paid user and currently using it then you may report. Because of the bugs I'm not willing to use it at the moment on my PC and I'm also not a paid customer either. I do have a beta testing account and they even solved an issue that I asked them to fix exactly the way I suggested them to fix. They usually want logs while reporting. I'm not using the beta or stable version at the moment, so I'm not reporting it at the moment.
If any user here is willing to report, then please do so. You may even copy what I wrote above and quickly send them and see what happens. Based on my previous experience, the devs are great and listens carefully to bug reports (At least beta testers reports).

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
If you're a paid user and currently using it then you may report. Because of the bugs I'm not willing to use it at the moment on my PC and I'm also not a paid customer either. I do have a beta testing account and they even solved an issue that I asked them to fix exactly the way I suggested them to fix. They usually want logs while reporting. I'm not using the beta or stable version at the moment, so I'm not reporting it at the moment.
If any user here is willing to report, then please do so. You may even copy what I wrote above and quickly send them and see what happens. Based on my previous experience, the devs are great and listens carefully to bug reports (At least beta testers reports).
And which antivirus use now?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Found bugs in F-Secure.

View attachment 261525

Well, I contacted F-Secure through the beta program and got a reply within a few hours.

1) The Rainbow Six Siege issue is known to them. F-Secure injects code into it, and apparently the game doesn't like it and refuses to start. I think most third-party AV products injects code into most processes, and usually the AV company and the game developers works together to come up with a solution to not cause any incompatibility. F-Secure hasn't done that it seems. They have asked me to submit the exe file explaining the issue in details. I'll do that and see what happens. Maybe they'll skip injecting code into it based on certificate whitelisting? I don't know...anyway,

2) Turns out F-Secure's game mode relies on Windows's own game mode. Game mode is enabled by default on Windows and when it detects a game it automatically enables it for the game. When Windows does that, F-Secure also enables their game mode. According to them, they tried to do the full-screen detection method for activating game mode, but that caused problems for them and didn't receive positive feedbacks. So they've chosen to go this route. This is a pretty good idea IMO.
There's gonna be some games where Windows's Game mode won't activate, but it's very easy to enable that for that particular game.
Here are examples:

i) Run a game then press "Windows Icon + G" to access Game Bar, press the settings icon there to see whether game mode has been activated for the game.
If it Windows recognizes the game, then it'll look like this.
01.png
Here I'm playing the game "Death Stranding" and Windows has detected that and activated game mode automatically. Which means F-Secure's game is also activated. In this case you won't have to do anything.

ii) Here I'm playing Telltale Games, Game of Thrones - Season 1 the game. Windows hasn't detected it as a game, so game mode hasn't been activated.
02.png
All you need to do is to access game bar again by pressing "Windows Icon + G", click the settings icon and tick the option "Remember this is a game". From now on Windows will always activate game mode when this game is run meaning F-Secure will do the same too.
You can do it for literally any programs whether it's a game or not.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.