Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
While I am not endorsing that disabling the "tamper protection" setting is the solution and that it should be done, I personally think that this kind of protection is overrated, not only that, it has been less than 6 months that F-Secure actually implemented that and F-Secure has been a fine solution for years, the lack of "tamper protection" never harmed it by any means.

If malware got admin/system access and wants to wipe your security solution it will be done; I dont think that tamper protection is a big deal, you need to stop malware from doing harm in first place, avoiding malware persistence is fine, but it should never impact user experience.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The most annoying thing is that there is no reliable way to reproduce the problem.
Agree as no lack of trying, but I haven't managed. Then again, I don't have full access to users complete machine and system configurations. Without that, it's for sure a wild western of speculation.

Tired Wild West GIF by GritTV
Celebrate Hell Yeah GIF by Sarsaparilla Jenkins

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
There was a suggestion on tampering prevention in the official forum. Once you've narrowed down the cause, I think it's almost time for the problem to go away.
Ironically, I haven't had any recent shutdown delays in my environment.

L

Local Host

There was a suggestion on tampering prevention in the official forum. Once you've narrowed down the cause, I think it's almost time for the problem to go away.
Ironically, I haven't had any recent shutdown delays in my environment.
F-Secure did confirm the issue is Tamper Protection, same way they confirmed is perfectly safe to turn it OFF.

So much for making a storm in a cup of water, you all had the solution in front of you.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Confused Harry Potter GIF

Impossible mission to say the least, and not much one can do with that type of Security " advices " when one of their employees even makes it an official statement. I just sincerely genuine hope that both HR and legal department feels and thinks the exact same, and not dead easy spot the risk of very costly unnecessary legal ramifications. Not my headache and hopefully I'm wrong.

Create and implement a default security protection feature and even turn it ON by default in the first place, if it's Safe without. Sounds brilliant!

Planet Of The Apes Reaction GIF

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
F-Secure did confirm the issue is Tamper Protection, same way they confirmed is perfectly safe to turn it OFF.

So much for making a storm in a cup of water, you all had the solution in front of you.
I thought the shutdown delay was not a problem, but a specification of this software. That's my impression.
I welcome the improvement, but there is no problem, so I use it as it is.:):coffee:
Impossible mission to say the least, and not much one can do with that type of Security " advices " when one of their employees even makes it an official statement. I just sincerely genuine hope that both HR and legal department feels and thinks the exact same, and not dead easy spot the risk of very costly unnecessary legal ramifications. Not my headache and hopefully I'm wrong.

Create and implement a default security protection feature and even turn it ON by default in the first place, if it's Safe without. Sounds brilliant!
Comments on the official forum. I think there was a comment that "If tamper-proof is turned off, Windows security alerts appear, so you don't have to worry about emergencies.".
In that case, it seems to contradict the tamper-resistant implementation.:unsure::coffee:

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
I'm running FS on a AMD powered cpu and never had any problems with closing/restarting the laptop.
Feedback after upgrading:
I just upgraded to win 11 pro and I started to see incredible sluggish startup and shutdown times of the laptop. On win 10 pro never had any problems.
I switched to a clean snapshot of win 11 without f-secure installed and all works like a charm.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Feedback after upgrading:
I just upgraded to win 11 pro and I started to see incredible sluggish startup and shutdown times of the laptop. On win 10 pro never had any problems.
I switched to a clean snapshot of win 11 without f-secure installed and all works like a charm.
And what if you turn tamper protection off?

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Just checked their official forum again. Talk about inconsistent issue/solutions and I cross my fingers the developers are able to solve it soon. I don't doubt that they actually will, but because this problem is for some very confirmed and for others non existing ( myself included ), it might take a little while. Might be interesting to watch their beta version 18.3 as it have been released and now getting updates, and hopefully when that is released as stable, it's fixed unless they manage to send a separate update sooner.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Just checked their official forum again. Talk about inconsistent issue/solutions and I cross my fingers the developers are able to solve it soon. I don't doubt that they actually will, but because this problem is for some very confirmed and for others non existing ( myself included ), it might take a little while. Might be interesting to watch their beta version 18.3 as it have been released and now getting updates, and hopefully when that is released as stable, it's fixed unless they manage to send a separate update sooner.
I'm currently trying 18.3 beta. There is no difference from 18.2 in terms of shutdown delay. In rare cases, it may be late.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I spoke to f-secure today on the phone, and there was hope that this would be fixed about Wednesday next week. Let's hope so;)

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Today started a nightmare with win 10. I surfed with Firefox, and had several tabs open, then suddenly I could not open any of them everything was frozen. I turned off Firefox and restarted, but after a few minutes the same thing happened again. This has never happen to me before.

Restarted the machine but it did not help. I also discovered when I kept the cursor on the desktop and scrolled with the mouse wheel, all the writing under the icons became larger, or smaller, which way I scrolled. The first thought that struck me was, f-secure 18.2? I opened it and turned off the tamper protection, and quite rightly, the problem disappeared. I had no issues with restart or turning off with win 10 home, but got this error and wonder, has anyone else experienced this?:confused:

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
Not really. Only the boot and shutdown time were affected in my case. I switched to norton for the time being. I hope f-secure solves their problems soon.
Today started a nightmare with win 10. I surfed with Firefox, and had several tabs open, then suddenly I could not open any of them everything was frozen. I turned off Firefox and restarted, but after a few minutes the same thing happened again. This has never happen to me before.

Restarted the machine but it did not help. I also discovered when I kept the cursor on the desktop and scrolled with the mouse wheel, all the writing under the icons became larger, or smaller, which way I scrolled. The first thought that struck me was, f-secure 18.2? I opened it and turned off the tamper protection, and quite rightly, the problem disappeared. I had no issues with restart or turning off with win 10 home, but got this error and wonder, has anyone else experienced this?:confused:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Had the long shutdown (2 mins or more) on this Windows 11 system, although it was a 10 upgraded to 11 preview last June so had many fixes etc - Anyway decided to do a clean install of 11 a couple of weeks or less ago & tried SAFE with exactly the same result very slow shutdown & for me unusable, unchecked Tamper & starts & shutdowns fine - A reasonably new build Ryzen 5 - 5600X - 32 GIG Vengeance RAM - No other problems :rolleyes::rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.