Advice Request F-Secure Internet Security 2017 Review by PCMag 3,5/5 stars

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What do you think about this review?

• I agree

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • I disagree

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I do not read reviews like this one

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Too bad that most testing institutes let their reviews depend on the bundle of dough that has been coughed up by the vendors. I did use fsecure for Some time and I rather like the gui , Nice and clean. Deepguard seemed to do good. The lack of a firewall is a negative for me , a win firewall booster is not something I personally want on my computer. What got me scared where the rescent tests carried out by CS. This totally changed my point of view on fsecure : something might look good on paper , but actual live sample testing is a real eye opener.

Reactions: frogboy and tim one

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I'd like to add my 2 cents.

To properly understand the product, you need to run it for some time (not days). I've done it so here we go.

Installer is quite fast now. While initial install is fast, it still takes some minutes (or around 10, depending on system) for it to download and install all components and virus databases (F-Secure's and Bitdefender's). Bitdefender's one (Aquarius) is the biggest one and takes quite some time to download/install. Still, I can live with it.

Protection wise? Quite good. Lacks here and there, but overall as seen from the HUB, it really shines against ransomware and other really malicious attacks. DeepGuard does its job. I think I was able to infect it with ransomware only twice during all the time I have been testing it. Sometimes there are leftovers of infections, but overall, it does quite good job. Add web protection and you should be good to go.

UI: I kinda like it. Not many options, clean and simple. Really depends on personal preferences.

Performance? Top notch. Really solid contender here. Been hopping between Avast/F-Secure/Bitdefender Free and to tell the truth, latter two seem to beat avast somehow... Not sure how, but I feel lighter with those installed.

Add the privacy part and you got a really good antivirus. Rather expensive for my taste, but good overall :)

Minuses?
I don't like that they do not release Hydra/DeepGuard/Gemini updates at weekend... or is it just me?

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I also used F-Secure SAFE for some weeks and it wasn't bad. The updates are sometimes slow to perform. I'm not talking about the download then, but installing the signatures takes quite some time, surely when installing the product.
But other than that, it's a really fast program and it didn't slow down my system at all.
They use Bitdefender and their own engine + deepguard so the protection is quite solid, but I also agree with @Trickster that the firewall is really something that would make the product complete. Also adding some more advanced settings would be good. But overall not a bad product.

W

Wave

Installer is quite fast now. While initial install is fast, it still takes some minutes (or around 10, depending on system) for it to download and install all components and virus databases (F-Secure's and Bitdefender's). Bitdefender's one (Aquarius) is the biggest one and takes quite some time to download/install. Still, I can live with it.
Not for everyone. Most security products install without a problem relatively quickly for me, whereas the F-Secure installer got stuck on a percentage (28% I think) and didn't progress for an additional 20 minutes when I did a host test with it. Whereas when I installed Bitdefender, it was more speedy than F-Secure. This could have happened for several dozen reasons.

It depends on many factors, also including hardware (such as processor/speed).

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Honestly I can give a positive feedback because I've used FSecure 2016 for a long time and Deep Guard is very responsive and effective in behavioral detection.
I don't speak of signatures because this topic is irrelevant and outdated enough in my opinion.
Regarding PC Mag, I never get as serious reference these and other similar reviews, in my choices.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Not an overrated product, F-secure does fine in a standard level; yes it has more room to improve but the potential capabilities already proved a lot.

Their DeepGuard needs to be more active; which they can rely more on accurate response through cloud.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
F-Secure uses Bitdefender's engine... I still have a bit of sour taste in my mouth from them, to be honest, from a few years back. Oh well, I guess I should try to turn over a fresh leaf...

Yes I know, F-Secure has basically nothing to do with Bitdefender after that, but, hey, experiences remain :p

I do agree that PCMag is not a place for anybody to get trustworthy reviews from, but it's not illegal for them to do so.

Reactions: Fritz and Wave
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.