New Update Finally... The next generation of Avira is available.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Well, downloded/installed the New version and am trying it out for a few days. So far I like it. But theres a small....oversight? ive noticed.

There is no right click scan option. It's a small thing but considering pretty much every AV nowdays has that option it's just something that's stuck out so far.

Also a "log" area or a link in the main GUI to logs wouldn't be a bad idea. But it is most def. lighter and less buggy than previous versions (y)
I can't say for effectiveness against Script malware as I am not a tester.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Today is a sad day.

Today we say goodbye to our deepest, long-lasting friend, Luke FileWalker.

Anybody who knew Luke, also knew how hard-working he was. How interested in always giving every inch of himself for those who trusted him.
Destiny has cut his wings, but he will fly higher than he did before. And oh how he will fly. Fly high as the moon, dear Luke, touch the stars and tell them stories... stories about how you fought evil here in Earth... stories about your journeys and self-growth you've had. For your time here has finished but a new life waits...

Let not anybody say Luke FIleWalker has died, for he is still alive, since legends never die... they're written down in eternity. And the best way to say goodbye... is not to say it at all. So let's greet our great friend Luke, just like that... without saying goodbye 🌟

sad-upset.gif

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Today is a sad day.

Today we say goodbye to our deepest, long-lasting friend, Luke FileWalker.

Anybody who knew Luke, also knew how hard-working he was. How interested in always giving every inch of himself for those who trusted him.
Destiny has cut his wings, but he will fly higher than he did before. And oh how he will fly. Fly high as the moon, dear Luke, touch the stars and tell them stories... stories about how you fought evil here in Earth... stories about your journeys and self-growth you've had. For your time here has finished but a new life waits...

Let not anybody say Luke FIleWalker has died, for he is still alive, since legends never die... they're written down in eternity. And the best way to say goodbye... is not to say it at all. So let's greet our great friend Luke, just like that... without saying goodbye 🌟

sad-upset.gif

luke-skywalker-no.gif

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
All kidding aside, I tested it quickly.
Already, it installs much faster!
I didn't like the interface before, I still don't like it :D It looks too much like a PUP interface :D

On the other hand, I really like the alerts, they remind me of Avast!
But, there are 2 problems:

1) When its base does not know and must query its Cloud server, one must execute the file... WTF ? I know it did it before, but F-Secure detects it directly!

2) I didn't get an alert from Sentry. I threw a Magniber totally FUD, and the files were encrypted... Avira couldn't do anything...

And yes, no Luke.... RIP bro

XY6YTxrq.png

eqoonfii.png

lvseqiji

Level 2
Mar 30, 2022
I didn't like the interface before, I still don't like it :D It looks too much like a PUP interface :D

1) When its base does not know and must query its Cloud server, one must execute the file... WTF ? I know it did it before, but F-Secure detects it directly!

2) I didn't get an alert from Sentry. I threw a Magniber totally FUD, and the files were encrypted... Avira couldn't do anything...

XY6YTxrq.png

eqoonfii.png
Sentry can not block Magniber. In fact, most of BB have no ability to block Magniber.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021

XY6YTxrq.png

eqoonfii.png
As far as I know, many behavior blockers, including Bitdefender's, Kaspersky's, Symantec's, and F-Secure's, cannot fully block Magniber ransomware. This kind of ransomware is very hard to block using behavioral detection. 🤔

WV's BB used to be able to block Magniber ransomware, but it fails to do so when dealing with a new variant of it.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
As far as I know, many behavior blockers, including Bitdefender's, Kaspersky's, Symantec's, and F-Secure's, cannot fully block Magniber ransomware. This kind of ransomware is very hard to block using behavioral detection. 🤔

WV's BB used to be able to block Magniber ransomware, but it fails to do so when dealing with a new variant of it.
I had already seen the BB of Kaspersky blocked Magniber :)
Symantec/Norton not tested, but Bitdefender I confirm, we saw it in the Hub with @silversurfer

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Symantec/Norton not tested, but Bitdefender I confirm, we saw it in the Hub with @silversurfer
Kaspersky missed this kind of Magniber ransomware (#Magniber msi 1X (2022-05-27-01) 第2页_病毒样本 分享&分析区_安全区 卡饭论坛 - 互助分享 - 大气谦和!) The tester used KART to test, basically, it is the BB compound of Kaspersky.

WV missed (#Magniber msi 1X (2022-05-27-01) 第2页_病毒样本 分享&分析区_安全区 卡饭论坛 - 互助分享 - 大气谦和!)

BD missed (#Magniber msi 1X (2022-05-27-01) 第6页_病毒样本 分享&分析区_安全区 卡饭论坛 - 互助分享 - 大气谦和!) (https://bbs.kafan.cn/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=2235592&pid=51029114&fromuid=1237259) Actually, BD missed many variants of this ransomware... :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, the above tests were conducted by Chinese testers so the results are in Chinese. :)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

BD Free was too late to block fully, probably it was behavioral monitoring... Sample #Magniber has fast encryption (9 files in this case), my bait files are on common location "Documents" but even affected a few files on Desktop and in my tools folder:

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.