New Update Finally... The next generation of Avira is available.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Do you see Avira's certificate in the browser? Are they MITMing HTTPS connection or not?
屏幕截图 2022-06-01 162345.png

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Yes, its light only takes around 40mb of memory. But no idea what i expected with the web protection and https scanning on free version , it still requires browser extension

About luke filewalker its gone, but i cant scan folders or items , cant even drag them to avira to scan

View attachment 267146
There is a workaround: Create a folder, Drag and drop the files you want to scan (upload to APC for analysis) into the folder and Create a new custom scan in Avira to scan that folder.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
The new version of Avira promises to be good. I look forward to testing it.
I wonder if they finally introduced the Polish language. From the beginning they have a problem to implement it in the program. I don't know why.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Based on my test so far, Sentry is good at blocking and rolling back changes made by Trojan dropper.

This "add users" script is hard for BB to block, to be honest.
Problem was that Avira missed too much, there were 5 different startup items added, mostly JS and Windows Script Host items, and probably a lot more as it was only what Task Manager was showing, not to mention these were nasty pieces of malware, it may have detected some of these startup items if it werent for the new user, but it should have blocked them before they had the chance to add startup items, as if they had the chance to add startup items they probably already did their malicious actions, I manually ran these startup items, Avira didnt even react.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Problem was that Avira missed too much, there were 5 different startup items added, mostly JS and Windows Script Host items, and probably a lot more as it was only what Task Manager was showing, not to mention these were nasty pieces of malware, it may have detected some of these startup items if it werent for the new user, but it should have blocked them before they had the chance to add startup items, as if they had the chance to add startup items they probably already did their malicious actions, I manually ran these startup items, Avira didnt even react.
Maybe Sentry is still not good at script malware? 🤔

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Maybe Sentry is still not good at script malware? 🤔
Possibly, but as Avira (supposedly) have AMSI intergration I would have expected it too catch almost all malware samples, but it missed 5 out of 10 scripts, what was more concerning was the fact all of these samples were already detected by most major AV companies, almost all of which included Defender.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If possible for you and your free time allows... Please can you sharing a few screenshots of protection settings?
Sorry i reverted backup already. @Anthony Qian already posted those settings that are changeable, only the https scanning enabled/disabled + some archive scan settings, there is nothing to see really

It is the same version from january, when avira crypto was announced... for me its light antivirus with no much to change...but very buggy/ sloppy it already corrupted my war thunder files (n)
:rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.