New Update Finally... The next generation of Avira is available.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Now if I install Avira via this link, how can I activate it if I purchased the 1 euro offer?
This link installs the old Avira. So you may not be able to use the new one.
For this old installer, at the time of installing it gives you an option to enter your Pro license key. I never tried Pro, so don't know if you'll get the new version after that.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
This link installs the old Avira. So you may not be able to use the new one.
For this old installer, at the time of installing it gives you an option to enter your Pro license key. I never tried Pro, so don't know if you'll get the new version after that.
The issue is Avira never sent me a product key. Instead the license is linked to my account, so apparently there is no way to activate it on the old bloat-free installer.

I'm not installing the bloated version. I don't need the junk that is included with it. Too unfortunate.

Reactions: Jack and roger_m

LiquidExploit

Level 1
Nov 3, 2017
I could be wrong here but this is also the first time, in all my tests, that I've seen Avira detect a sample in-memory, after execution.

Mem Final.png

It seems Avira has made some massive improvements to detecting malware post-execution, which traditionally Avira has not been great at.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
I could be wrong here but this is also the first time, in all my tests, that I've seen Avira detect a sample in-memory, after execution.

View attachment 269435

It seems Avira has made some massive improvements to detecting malware post-execution, which traditionally Avira has not been great at.
The detection in there, is a Bullguard BB sentry (Mem alloc) , atleast I'm happy to see them, finally incorporate their competetor tech into their products after a long long sloppy years.

Wish them all the luck!

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I am curious to see what Norton is going to do with Avira, in some aspects the latter is much better than the former, especially with signature detection and updates.

BANANA antivirus is a real deal now with the NortonLifelock + Avast merger thing, so there are a lot of technology, telemetry and patents available.

Ps: Bullguard + Avira + Norman + AVG + Norton + Avast = BANANA :sneaky:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
It is/used to be an antivirus company based out of Norway. It got at some point acquired by AVG Technologies, whom in their turn got acquired by Avast Software s.r.o.
Norman - a blast from the past. I'd forgotten all about them. If my memory isn't a waste of space completely I think they used to provide an online scan too too.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Just an FYI: if you dont want the VPN or "speedup" to run at startup, simply disable their startup items via Autoruns.

Btw, has anyone else experienced Avira sometimes qurantine malware when saved to disk and sometimes only when they are executed? Found it to be weird behavior

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Just an FYI: if you dont want the VPN or "speedup" to run at startup, simply disable their startup items via Autoruns.

Btw, has anyone else experienced Avira sometimes qurantine malware when saved to disk and sometimes only when they are executed? Found it to be weird behavior

Yes, I did. I tried the new version for a few weeks and I noticed that behavior as well, part of the reason why I decided to switch off of it. That and their cloud only seemed to work on execution as well which I didn't find favorable either.

Reactions: roger_m and amico81

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Yes, I did. I tried the new version for a few weeks and I noticed that behavior as well, part of the reason why I decided to switch off of it. That and their cloud only seemed to work on execution as well which I didn't find favorable either.
Might be the reason, signatures for files that are saved to disk, while files detected on-execution are for files detected via the cloud, as using signatures and the cloud at the same time would, in practice, cause increased resource usage.

Edit: forgot to mention Wisevector StopX has an similar "problem" in that sometimes it doesnt detect files as soon as they are save to the disk, sometimes they are detected up to 15 seconds later, but I often have to execute them or manually scan them via the context menu for it to actually detect them, I have my suspicion that its due to compatibility issues with some application, or something that filters web traffic, like an third party DNS, as I have noticed running YogaDNS with Wisevector, aswell as Kaspersky, installed causes it to say "Third party DNS filter detected", and running the regular NextDNS client sometimes doesnt allow you to turn it on or off, its stuck on "Enable", despite seeing in the NextDNS dashboard that it says its "all good", though it can be explain if Kaspersky or Wisevector has an DNS leak issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m and amico81

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.