New Update Finally... The next generation of Avira is available.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
So... gone are the days when Avira proudly posted this:

Do no evil with Avira (or nasty HTTPS handshakes)
This part made me laugh.
Grading TLS interception is like someone sneezing into their hand, wiping it off with a tissue, then reaching over to shake your hand. Sure, you are glad that they tried to clean the microbes off their hand before pressing the flesh. But, you’d really rather they would not have been sneezing into their hand in the first place.
Avira is also sneezing in their hands now.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
It was pretty average, especially in its final days, but it was an important and somewhat a pioneer player in the antivirus market, its sandbox was a novelty in its age.
Norman was a very bad program for many years ago. Some banks in Norway had their computers infected, and they used Norman. Norman tried for a long time to get rid of the infection, but in the end the banks had to contact Symantec for help, and they cleaned the machines and the banks got rid of Norman.

Norman had a big bug with their firewall, but wouldn't admit it until I showed them where the bug was, and how they could test for themselves that it wasn't secure. I got a thank you-card from them, but in the end I threw out the program. and have never looked back.

Last edited:

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
Hello, guys!

I was using Avira ages ago, somewhere between 2007-2011, because Free Edition supported offline database updates (I had no internet at home that period of time). Also, it sometimes was coming with the DVD from the Chip magazine if you remember one.
Later, I was using Kaspersky, and after the so-called "russian federation" invaded my Ukraine in 2014 I switched to Bitdefender from 2014 to 2022 with a 1 year pause in 2017 and 2018 because I was given a 180 day keys for F-Secure and Emsisoft 2 times. I had 0 concerns about the quality of Bitdefender security, and 0 accidents, it was working at my home, at dad's GFs, mum's copy shop - it was brilliant.
But, a few months ago Bitdefender started to sponsor "Scuderia Ferrari" in F1 which I find inappropriate in background of the war in my home country made by russians where I lost everything and had to start from 0 in Austria. I also got rid of Mahle filters in my car and other stuff that sponsors them. FIY: Scuderia Ferrari bypassed FIA sanction rules and "washed" russian driver robert schwarzman through his secondary Israeli citizenship. He refused to sign FIA condemnation of the war that "russian federation" made. Moreover, the karting team of Charles Leclerc also supports other russian driver. All these things are very important to me, some of you may think that I making a problem from nothing, but you will never understand then. I don't want to fund Ferrari through Bitdefender. I am very sorry because Bitdefender technicians are great guys and I have 0 concerns about their work. I only reported 1 false positive and 1 miss once during all these years. But, their sales team should really think with who do they work.

I could also not use Emsisoft and GData due to the Bitdefender engine in them. I would buy Emsisoft if it had Avira or Ikarus inside. I was choosing between Symantec Endpoint, F-Secure, Trend Micro and Avira.
But, somehow I got the 1 euro offer from Avira, and decided to give it a try.
Things I don't like -
as already mentioned - Luke Filewalker is gone...
settings are very basic and it looks very automatic
this thing is not asking if I want to delete, heal or whitelist something.
The rest seems to be ok.
Can you tell me, how good is it in comparison with Bitdefender? I still don't really get what is lacking, because it doesn't mention web security, HIPS, exploit prevention, or some other stuff Bitdefender had.

Should I stay on it after the 1 year? The most important point for me is ransomware protection because I have a huge archive of personal photo and video that I managed to take with myself being under bombs.
I also remember Avira was looking stagnated for the last years and it's UI was awful.

Thank you!!!

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
Guys, I want to check up with you because I noticed very strange behavior from Avira. I was thinking about something like this in software, but I haven't thought that somebody might be that crazy to implement it in reality!
A few months of Avira are passed and I really want to get rid of it!
First of all, UI/UX is horrible, it pretends to be simple, but reminds me matryoshka toy. Lots of things are hidden somewhere in sub-menus, no settings, no stats, nothing. It even doesn't always appear in the tray.
Well, not about this today. I am getting different VPN services on my PC, some of them as a demo, and some of them from promotions. The thing is, Avira is fighting with 3-rd party VPN services. I have already noticed it tries to remove Steganos VPN, it tries to remove Keepsolid VPN, Seed4me, Bitdefender VPN, and only Freedome is seem to be ok for it.
My quarantine is full of Steganos VPN, and still have a trace of Keepsolid VPN...
How do you think, is this okay to fight competitors in this manner?
I think it's kinda not right and even feels like a lawsuit. It is not the right competition model when you just remove competitor products from the PC.
Moreover, I know people from Keepsolid because it's a company from my city and they are partners of my University.
I really want to go back on Bitdefender, but, they must get rid of ferrari first.

1677450701440.png

Reactions: Andrew999

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I really want to go back on Bitdefender, but, they must get rid of ferrari first.
But may we know how the business relations of any company, in this case Bitdefender, affect the product quality, protection and your day-to-day experience?
Do you have a full list of businesses that rely on Avira or other solution based on their various kits?

In regards to these detections, you can disable PUA detection in settings or you can create exceptions. The behaviour does seem a bit phishy indeed.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Guys, I want to check up with you because I noticed very strange behavior from Avira. I was thinking about something like this in software, but I haven't thought that somebody might be that crazy to implement it in reality!
First of all, UI/UX is horrible, it pretends to be simple, but reminds me matryoshka toy. Lots of things are hidden somewhere in sub-menus, no settings, no stats, nothing. It even doesn't always appear in the tray.
Well, not about this today. I am getting different VPN services on my PC, some of them as a demo, and some of them from promotions. The thing is, Avira is fighting with 3-rd party VPN services. I have already noticed it tries to remove Steganos VPN, it tries to remove Keepsolid VPN, Seed4me, Bitdefender VPN, and only Freedome is seem to be ok for it.
My quarantine is full of Steganos VPN, and still have a trace of Keepsolid VPN...
I think it's kinda not right and even feels like a lawsuit. It is not the right competition model when you just remove competitor products from the PC.
Moreover, I know people from Keepsolid because it's a company from my city and they are partners of my University.
Avira has pretty clear-cut guidelines on how it classifies PUAs:
Do any of them apply to Steganos and/or KeepSolid? If so, that'd be why. If not, submit them as false positives.

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
Avira has pretty clear-cut guidelines on how it classifies PUAs:
Do any of them apply to Steganos and/or KeepSolid? If so, that'd be why. If not, submit them as false positives.
I will write to Keepsolid and Steganos first, but they are not behaving like a PUA. I am still finding it very strange that it removes exactly VPN services. Simultaneously, Avira itself pops up and sends emails like "hey, let's go to prime, 70% discount, we also offer VPN!
The thing with Bitdefender is a personal reason. I am also upset with seeing AWS on their car (SysOps Associate BTW ). Don't mind it, I just don't want to fund the carrier of one guy ferrari invests in. (both Leclerc and Sainz are great, Gio was also cool, 0 questions to them).

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
But may we know how the business relations of any company, in this case Bitdefender, affect the product quality, protection and your day-to-day experience?
Do you have a full list of businesses that rely on Avira or other solution based on their various kits?

In regards to these detections, you can disable PUA detection in settings or you can create exceptions. The behaviour does seem a bit phishy indeed.
I have already created exclusions, but it fights with Steganos all day anyway. It removes its updater, kills randomly DLLs, whatever. It even gets broken in operation for no reason.
Moreover, exclusion creation sucks, why not have the button for this in the pop-up?
PUA disable is not an option - it's better to get rid of it. I paid 1 euro for it from the promotion, so...It looks even more suspicious because it has exact signature like PUA/KeepSolid, PUA/Steganos, Drop.Win32.Steganos
1677452353738.png

Well - NOD32 also detects it. VirusTotal

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I have already created exclusions, but it fights with Steganos all day anyway. It removes its updater, kills randomly DLLs, whatever.
Moreover, exclusion creation sucks, why not have the button for this in the pop-up?
PUA disable is not an option - it's better to get rid of it. I paid 1 euro for it from the promotion, so...
Submitting to Avira won't help, they know about this software and they have decided to classify it as a PUA. The name of the VPN is even clearly put as a name of the detection.
They will reply to you that it is PUA and will send you the same link to learn more.
You might be better off getting rid of it, if you are not happy with how it works.

kylprq

Level 4
Verified
Jul 26, 2018
Hello, guys!

I was using Avira ages ago, somewhere between 2007-2011, because Free Edition supported offline database updates (I had no internet at home that period of time). Also, it sometimes was coming with the DVD from the Chip magazine if you remember one.
Later, I was using Kaspersky, and after the so-called "russian federation" invaded my Ukraine in 2014 I switched to Bitdefender from 2014 to 2022 with a 1 year pause in 2017 and 2018 because I was given a 180 day keys for F-Secure and Emsisoft 2 times. I had 0 concerns about the quality of Bitdefender security, and 0 accidents, it was working at my home, at dad's GFs, mum's copy shop - it was brilliant.
But, a few months ago Bitdefender started to sponsor "Scuderia Ferrari" in F1 which I find inappropriate in background of the war in my home country made by russians where I lost everything and had to start from 0 in Austria. I also got rid of Mahle filters in my car and other stuff that sponsors them. FIY: Scuderia Ferrari bypassed FIA sanction rules and "washed" russian driver robert schwarzman through his secondary Israeli citizenship. He refused to sign FIA condemnation of the war that "russian federation" made. Moreover, the karting team of Charles Leclerc also supports other russian driver. All these things are very important to me, some of you may think that I making a problem from nothing, but you will never understand then. I don't want to fund Ferrari through Bitdefender. I am very sorry because Bitdefender technicians are great guys and I have 0 concerns about their work. I only reported 1 false positive and 1 miss once during all these years. But, their sales team should really think with who do they work.

I could also not use Emsisoft and GData due to the Bitdefender engine in them. I would buy Emsisoft if it had Avira or Ikarus inside. I was choosing between Symantec Endpoint, F-Secure, Trend Micro and Avira.
But, somehow I got the 1 euro offer from Avira, and decided to give it a try.
Things I don't like -
as already mentioned - Luke Filewalker is gone...
settings are very basic and it looks very automatic
this thing is not asking if I want to delete, heal or whitelist something.
The rest seems to be ok.
Can you tell me, how good is it in comparison with Bitdefender? I still don't really get what is lacking, because it doesn't mention web security, HIPS, exploit prevention, or some other stuff Bitdefender had.

Should I stay on it after the 1 year? The most important point for me is ransomware protection because I have a huge archive of personal photo and video that I managed to take with myself being under bombs.
I also remember Avira was looking stagnated for the last years and it's UI was awful.

Thank you!!!
Hope you and your Nation one day will get rid off those scumbags. I wish best for you friend! and I completely understand that.

Reactions: LiquidExploit

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

View attachment 273183

Norton does it too.
Apart from whitelisting them, there's not much you can do :/

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Norton does it too.
Apart from whitelisting them, there's not much you can do :/
Avira usually detects many PUA applications, unknown Vpns, even if they are not malicious. As @DarkJoney mentioned about Steganos products in particular, it usually adds a ton of stuff at startup which is why it is treated by some AVs as PUA, although sometimes it can be a false positive, it can leave your device at risk if you stop to think about it, many .exe files connect to the web, sometimes look for updates, who knows what it sends to the internet. Since they are closed source products, it can open a loophole for hackers to exploit them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.