Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Eset is much much better(consider they are using this firewall in Enterprise products).its has IDS(Intrusion detection system - Wikipedia), advances settings like Application modification detection (Application modification detection),botnet protection, and more:D! Glasswire is based on the windows firewall.it's a GUI to control the win firewall that's all! win firewall provide the 0% protection compare to Eset!Eset is easy to use if you read the help file or dig to the settings!win firewall is not user-friendly also it won't provide advanced protection!

Which Firewall is better and easy to use?

For system behind NAT router that never\rarely uses public Wifi or laptop\mobile system that uses public Wifi ?

How much do you know about firewalls and networking ?

Do you rely upon IT security news to keep informed about the latest security threats ?

I can already give you the answer - Windows Firewall = the best balance between usability and security. All you have to do is add a front end GUI for outbound notifications. If you want to add a bunch of secure rules and default tweak rules then you'd want to add something like ESET - but then you're adding a whole lot more in addition to just a firewall - and it gets into a whole different level of discussion.

If you are paranoid about being network hacked, then stop that.

D

Deleted member 178

The day i will spend money for a firewall, it will be the one in Symantec EP or an hardware one .

The day i will spend money for a firewall, it will be the one in Symantec EP or an hardware one .

I dunno anymore. SEP suxx. I am not convinced that hardware firewall is any better than a router with Tomato on it - unless you sink like thousands of dollars and invest weeks into configuring it and putting IDS on system. It's too much of a pain in da ass. For the amount of money spent I can buy something that will give me a lot more satisfaction.

D

Deleted member 178

The SEP firewall is quite good if people configure it properly.

unless you sink like thousands of dollars and invest weeks into configuring it and putting IDS on system. .
That would be the goal. :p

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I dunno anymore. SEP suxx. I am not convinced that hardware firewall is any better than a router with Tomato on it - unless you sink like thousands of dollars and invest weeks into configuring it and putting IDS on system. It's too much of a pain in da ass. For the amount of money spent I can buy something that will give me a lot more satisfaction.
From my testing SEP is about the best... please feel free to prove me wrong.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Seconfig XP (calm down, take it easy - works on all Windows, ...I think): Seconfig XP - freeware security configuration utility for Windows
Freeware security configuration utility for Windows.
  • A free tool to close (not just shield) most exploited Windows security holes.
  • Can close ports 135, 137-139, 445, 1025 (used by file and printer sharing, Windows domains, other Microsoft Networks access and widely exploited by worms, hackers etc.), 1900, 5000 (used by UPnP) and other...
  • Can disable most dangerous Windows services.
  • Can protect Windows side against most ARP spoofing/poisoning attacks.
  • Can configure many other hidden security related Windows TCP/IP settings.
  • Works only with registry (no files, services, drivers etc.).
  • Includes three easy to use presets for average home (standalone) computers, Microsoft Networks members and standalone computers with VPN client access to Microsoft Networks.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
D

Deleted member 178

Yeah, it is always the user's fault according to you two. Why not offer a product that does not have this issue?
Security products ABSOLUTELY need to be automagical. If they are not, they will fail.
SEP is not home user solution, and never was , it is a business solution (hence why it is "Managed" ) so it needs to be configured by the sysadmin accordingly to the network/employees;
I don't even mention the "unmanaged" version which lacks several important modules.
Not configuring SEP is worse than using a home user solution.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
If you are a home user or for personal use, Windows Firewall is practically sufficient. You don't need to waste money, time and energy to research/learn 3rd party advanced Firewalls which is like one is concerned and wanted to build a secured shelter in the very unlikely event of a nuclear world war 3 :giggle:

D

Deleted member 178

Hehehe, I never said SEP was a home product. It is one thing to have your IT guys configure the product for you, according to your companies policy, and it is a totally different thing to have your home computer be configured for you by your vendor. You know that!
I mentioned SEP because it was the only firewall that satisfied me in term of protection and granular control, i could set it as i like compared to other firewalls.
So why you insinuated that i accuse users, SEP isn't for Average Joe, so those wanting to use it have to learn how to configure it...that is just a fact. Anyway Average Joe won't even know about SEP...

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Yes

Technically not, WinFW won't alert about outbound connections which can be an important feature for some.
Hehehe, it's all good ;).

All I have been saying for several years is that if the computer is at risk... it needs to be locked.

And you cannot lock the computer full time, because if you do, it is like wearing a condom full time... and that would not be convenient.

That truly is the only thing that I have been trying to accomplish.

I am going to bed, you guys have fun ;).

D

Deleted member 178

You mentioned that the SEP firewall is amazing, and I agreed with you.
so we are good.
If you want to talk about diverting discussions, we can talk about this link...

Help Me Decide - Behavior-Protection or Anti-Executable?

I have a lotta mo
Why do you bring other threads here which aren't even related to the present discussion...
Stay on topic Dan, most of the posts you did in this thread aren't even related with the OP question, they are either in response to me or @Lockdown for whatever reason you have.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.