Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
2018 Winner - Kaspersky Free Antivirus
2017 Winner - Avast Free Antivirus
2015 Winner - Qihoo Total Security

ZzHaj2R.png
-----------------------------------------------------
From your nominations at Free Antivirus of the Year 2018 [Nominations Thread], 5 products have been selected for the final poll phase starting today.

It's interesting to see 2 newcomers in the list compared to last year's Poll. :)

The poll will be closed on 30th Nov 2018 and the winner revealed on 1st Dec 2018.

Do reply in this thread which product you chose and why?(y)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** Also please take a moment to mention the Pro's and Con's you have found in the Product, so that it will be helpful for others while making their decision. **** :geek:

-------------------------------------------------------
Nomination Results:
Product - votes
  1. Kaspersky - 29
  2. Microsoft - 6
  3. Forticlient - 5
  4. Comodo - 5
  5. Bitdefender - 4
  6. Panda - 3
  7. Zonealarm - 3
  8. Avast - 3
  9. AVG - 2
  10. Tencent - 2

Last edited:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
From your nominations at Free Antivirus of the Year 2018 [Nominations Thread], 5 products have been selected for the final poll phase starting today.

It's interesting to see 2 newcomers in the list compared to last year's Poll. :)

The poll will be closed on 30th Nov 2018 and the winner revealed on 1st Dec 2018.

Do reply in this thread which product you chose and why?(y)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** Also please take a moment to mention the Pro's and Con's you have found in the Product, so that it will be helpful for others while making their decision. **** :geek:

Nomination Results:
Product - votes
  1. Kaspersky - 29
  2. Microsoft - 6
  3. Forticlient - 5
  4. Comodo - 5
  5. Bitdefender - 4
  6. Panda - 3
  7. Zonealarm - 3
  8. Avast - 3
  9. AVG - 2
  10. Tencent - 2
May be this is the correct order as per the tests i have done in these years (From the above listed options only)**
  1. Kaspersky
  2. Bitdefender
  3. Avast
  4. AVG
  5. Tencent
  6. Zonealarm / Fortinet
  7. Panda
  8. Comodo
  9. Microsoft
  10. Pros and Cons of first 4 Contenders : Reliable signatures, Pro active is very good, Anti phishing is top notch
  11. Pros and Cons of next 4 Contenders
  12. : Great signatures (Except Panda/Comodo), Top notch anti phishing Panda/ Comodo are eliminated from my tests and reviews
  13. Microsoft: Improved lately still has a long way to go

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I must choose Kaspersky due to the KSN and quick response to emerging threats. System Watcher to the free version has really changed things up. Still have to figure out some bugs and the reason behind them, but nothing worth uninstalling :)

Also, honorific mention to Microsoft's Windows Defender, despite it's mostly garbage they have finally managed to offer a final free solution, after the MSE fiasco. Hopefully in the future they can deliver us with a decent product!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
To quote myself from the nomination thread:
1) Kaspersky Security Cloud Free (enhanced and more configurable version of KFA)
2) Kaspersky Free Antivirus (current winner in Malware HUB)
3) Windows Defender (most progress this year, least compatibility issues on Windows 10)
4) Comodo Free Antivirus (great in blocking mode @BoraMurdar settings)
Not sure what else to say here at the poll phase.

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
I must choose Kaspersky due to the KSN and quick response to emerging threats. System Watcher to the free version has really changed things up. Still have to figure out some bugs and the reason behind them, but nothing worth uninstalling :)

Also, honorific mention to Microsoft's Windows Defender, despite it's mostly garbage they have finally managed to offer a final free solution, after the MSE fiasco. Hopefully in the future they can deliver us with a decent product!
Kaspersky Free has System Watcher?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Ok, it seems that Kaspersky is decimating it's rivals with the Free version while still being a top paid solution too! :eek:

Sounds like it. More power to the Ruskies! Nostrovia! (y) I voted for it even though I don't use it! :LOL:

I still think AVG has the nicest GUI though! Too bad it's an Avast product.

Last edited:

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
i'm surprised by the kaspersky dominance. i know it's top notch in labs, but so is bitdefender. and when i tried the kasp. i found it heavy on my older i3 system and i had problems with it messing with my connection . perhaps it's the novelty of it finally having a free rendering? (though to be fair, everything is heavy on my system, lol, panda dome seems to be the only thing light enough to run on mine ... without annoying me)

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Congratulations to the winners of the bet poll @ZeroDay , @overdivine , @gmaister22 , @BigWrench , @kev216 , @silversurfer , @Paul Lee , @AtlBo , @Stas , @Tony28779 , @Huchim , @blade1 , @Gandalf_The_Grey , @RoboMan , @marconnetti, @aragornnnn , @XxX Legolas XxX , @amico81 , @Deletedmessiah , @TairikuOkami, @steel9 , @mike6688 , @Vlad The Hedgefox , @PcGamer123 , @SumTingWong , @KonradPL , @Burrito , @rsonic , @Black Wings , @yuglyS , @noob guy , @JitzyJT , @Nestor

Kaspersky beats Windows Defender by 32 votes :) Interestingly (32+1) people voted for win margin of >15 votes during nomination phase ;)
See you next year hopefully ...........
  • ZzHaj2R.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.