Advice Request Good CPU Cooler for Intel Core i5-6500?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Last edited:

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
I tried the Cooler Master Seido 120v, actually the one I'm using in my home computer and was pretty impressed for a small inexpensive water cooler. It is a bit fiddly to install but does the job very well and allows some overclocking if you-re interested in that.
I'd say give it a google :)
EDIT: I'm also Portuguese, if you need some help you can send me a pm or something

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
I tried the Cooler Master Seido 120v, actually the one I'm using in my home computer and was pretty impressed for a small inexpensive water cooler. It is a bit fiddly to install but does the job very well and allows some overclocking if you-re interested in that.
I'd say give it a google :)
EDIT: I'm also Portuguese, if you need some help you can send me a pm or something
Ty I will pm when i need something #TugaFtw

Reactions: SHvFl

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Im not very happy with stock cooler
Why? What are your temps? Did make sure you removed the little plastic tape of the TIM (thermal interface material) before mounting the cooler on the CPU?

OEM coolers are much better than those from years past. They have to be because only the OEM coolers are "warrantied" to provide adequate cooling by the CPU makers. And they are much quieter than they used to be too.

I have the i5-6600 in this system with the OEM cooler and I am slightly overclocking. Yet my temps rarely go above 40°C. In fact, when they do, that usually means I need clean my filters. I never hear my CPU fan (except during boot) - only my graphics card fan.

Note it is the cases responsibility to provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. The CPU cooler need only toss the CPU's heat into that flow.

You want a good "front-to-back" flow of air through your case. If you don't have that, adding a more efficient CPU cooler will do little good.

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
Why? What are your temps? Did make sure you removed the little plastic tape of the TIM (thermal interface material) before mounting the cooler on the CPU?

OEM coolers are much better than those from years past. They have to be because only the OEM coolers are "warrantied" to provide adequate cooling by the CPU makers. And they are much quieter than they used to be too.

I have the i5-6600 in this system with the OEM cooler and I am slightly overclocking. Yet my temps rarely go above 40°C. In fact, when they do, that usually means I need clean my filters. I never hear my CPU fan (except during boot) - only my graphics card fan.

Note it is the cases responsibility to provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. The CPU cooler need only toss the CPU's heat into that flow.

You want a good "front-to-back" flow of air through your case. If you don't have that, adding a more efficient CPU cooler will do little good.
Weird, but yee I remove that little plastic my temps under load normally are around 55-60ºC, its not the biggest thing evern but I´d like them to be lower.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Well, of course, ambient (room) temps can greatly affect CPU temps. But 55-60°C under load is still well below the maximum Tcase allowed for that CPU of 71°C. So no worries there.

Still, I don't like fan noise either so I understand your desire to suppress it. But note besides providing adequate air flowing through the case, noise suppression is also a case function. You also want to ensure it really is the CPU fan that is making the noise. PSU and graphics card fans often make a lot of noise since they typically are mounted on a case panel and not deep in the center of the case.

What do you currently have for case cooling? It might be easier and cheaper to just add a nice, quiet case fan. Fractal Design makes some excellent and very quiet case fans at very reasonable prices. And speaking of Fractal Design, they are now my favorite cases in part, because they are extremely quiet.

lobo001

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 26, 2017
I also have the i5-6500, with a CRYORIG H5 and it goes great, keeping temp between 27ºC idle and 44ºC to full
Knowing also that this processor can not be made OC ((not K), also does not need a super heatsink

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Miguel- the CM 212EVO is fine, but if you also want silence you may want to get a different 120mm fan. The Scythe SlipSteam fans have great airflow and are quiet: Scythe SY1225SL12L 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Newegg.com
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
But one thing you also need is a good thermal paste.I prefer products by Thermal Grizzly myself (like there Kryonaut product, although Conductonaut is also fine) Grizzly products currently have the highest thermal conductivity coefficient on the market currently, and will outperform Arctic Silver). It will lower CPU temps more than the stock grease from either Intel or Scythe.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Whatever you buy make sure it fits in your setup.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
You still need the grease!!!!! Miguel- you are like me, not an overclocker and a silence lover. With that heatsink and a Scythe fan (and using the paste I recommend), my core CPU temps are about 30C. Although I am using an Intel Xeon CPU (which runs natively cooler), you should see similar results. Just make sure you have Back-to-front airflow in your case.

Also, unless it is in the middle of the night (and snowing) I can't hear my system at all (although you have to decouple your traditional hard drive from the case and lay it on coolpak to stop vibrations! By coolpak I mean something like this: Instant Cold Packs / Ice Packs - Nortech Labs, Inc).

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Absolutely! And I prefer to scrape things off with a credit card (American Express Black being the best, obviously).

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I clean both mating surfaces with 91-93% Isopropyl alcohol and a cotton pad. Then I snip off the end of a Q-Tip cotton swab and bend the cut end over about a 1/2 inch in to make a little hockey stick. I then give each surface a quick blast of canned dusting gas to ensure no dust and dab a tiny, small grain of rice size blob of new TIM on the die and spread it out evenly with my new TIM applicator device - with the computer unplugged from the wall and my extra hand planted firmly on bare metal of the case interior, of course, to prevent any ESD damage.

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
noctua dh15 is extremely powerful cou cooler, it almost beats most of the liquid coolers, its priced around 80dollars. but if your looking for a budget but yet a great cpu cooler, i would definitely go with coolermaster 213 evo, which is priced 25dollars. with 212 evo you would reach a good overclock!

Reactions: lobo001

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.