Groups and Promotions Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
RE: New Groups and Promotions

I want to official apologize if i have given the forum bad rep; I have no intention to give this wonderful forums bad rep.

I am truly sorry.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Don't worry you didn't give us a bad rep. :D ....... Your help is always appreciated.
:D

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

Jack said:
Don't worry you didn't give us a bad rep. :D ....... Your help is always appreciated.
:D
Glad to hear it. :biggrin:
I think we need to be a bit more cautious of where we refer people from.
OT: Can we get new themes installed on these forums?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

What do you mean new themes? A theme changer? or just the colors ?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

The current theme is one of the best themes we've tried. It has all the features that the default theme has + the menu on-top. We liked it so much that we used it in the beginning even if it was a bit buggy and we asked theme authors to help us solve issues. I am not bored with it yet.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
The current theme is one of the best themes we've tried. It has all the features that the default theme has + the menu on-top. We liked it so much that we used it in the beginning even if it was a bit buggy and we asked theme authors to help us solve issues. I am not bored with it yet.

I am content with what we have got now and see no need for change just yet, need to wait for an army/uprising of people first . haha

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
I meant add another option. Keep this one as the default, though.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

elliotcroft said:
Trying to refer people is giving us a bad reputation.
The post on AVG forums was removed.
We can really only refer people on sites where we are active on, otherwise they think of us as spammers. I don't like trying to do this.

Yep. If you are going to try and generate interest in the site, never ask for a referral, even if it's a forum you're known on. That is spammy.

It's a bit like posting an affiliate link to an application, so if someone follows your link and ends up purchasing, you get a cut. Very sketchy...

A referral is gaining you something, even if it's just a number next to your name. Many people are going to be openly hostile about such tactics, as you have noticed.

(This is the problem with a ranking system that relies on referrals, it's asking your users to spam relentlessly, which is likely not going to do much for your image)

Just promote the forum, not yourself... A simple link with a post saying there is a new security oriented forum that has opened up is sufficient. If somebody wants to use your name as a referrer, that's their prerogative, but asking for it is only asking for trouble.

In fact, I purposefully didn't mention any names when I registered because I don't agree with the promotion practice. :dodgy:

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

@Elliotcroft: Theme: UserCP -> Edit Options -> Other Options -> Board Style. The bad thing is that none of those themes is customized and we will remove most of them shortly. NOVA is the default theme.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
@Elliotcroft: Theme: UserCP -> Edit Options -> Other Options -> Board Style. The bad thing that none of those themes is customized and we will remove most of them shortly.
Why do you want to remove most of them?

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

HeffeD said:
elliotcroft said:
Trying to refer people is giving us a bad reputation.
The post on AVG forums was removed.
We can really only refer people on sites where we are active on, otherwise they think of us as spammers. I don't like trying to do this.

Yep. If you are going to try and generate interest in the site, never ask for a referral, even if it's a forum you're known on. That is spammy.

It's a bit like posting an affiliate link to an application, so if someone follows your link and ends up purchasing, you get a cut. Very sketchy...

A referral is gaining you something, even if it's just a number next to your name. Many people are going to be openly hostile about such tactics, as you have noticed.

(This is the problem with a ranking system that relies on referrals, it's asking your users to spam relentlessly, which is likely not going to do much for your image)

Just promote the forum, not yourself... A simple link with a post saying there is a new security oriented forum that has opened up is sufficient. If somebody wants to use your name as a referrer, that's their prerogative, but asking for it is only asking for trouble.

In fact, I purposefully didn't mention any names when I registered because I don't agree with the promotion practice. :dodgy:

I agree with you completely.

I think that the referral method for increasing your stats could backfire.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

@Elliotcroft: Too many options. If everyone uses a different theme the serverload is high. We'll have about 3 themes to select from. Some of them don't even deserve being used :p

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
@Elliotcroft: Too many options. If everyone uses a different theme the serverload is high. We'll have about 3 themes to select from. Some of them don't even deserve being used :p
Which ones are you planning to keep?
Nova, what others?
:biggrin:

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

I agree with you completely.
I think that the referral method for increasing your stats could backfire.
It brought us some members though. I never thought that people will post on support forums :) Because this forum appears that it provides support for products most support forums feel offended. We don't offer official support for any of the products. We offer help, but that is a bit different. You can't report bugs here and obviously we'll redirect people to support forums for that.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

elliotcroft said:
bogdan said:
Nova, what others?

Which one do you like? I liked MyIPB and the default theme might be kept too. NOTE: Some functions do not work on those themes because we needed to manually edit templetes in the current theme to make them work. Adding all the functions to those themes will take time.

Adding a new plugin sometimes means editing templates. Every time we'll add a new plugin we'll have to check it in every theme and make necessary adjustments. Hard work that might not pay off.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
elliotcroft said:
bogdan said:
Nova, what others?

Which one do you like? I liked MyIPB and the default theme might be kept too. NOTE: Some functions do not work on those themes because we needed to manually edit templetes in the current theme to make them work. Adding all the functions to those themes will take time.

Adding a new plugin sometimes means editing templates. Every time we'll add a new plugin we'll have to check it in every theme and make necessary adjustments. Hard work that might not pay off.
I'd like to see from new themes. Maybe we could suggest different MyBB themes to use as the third theme then have a poll to see which one we use. :biggrin:

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

bogdan said:
It brought us some members though.

At the cost of how many potential members who now want nothing to do with the site only because someone was asking for a referral? :neutral:

All I'm saying is that if you want to be taken seriously, a promotion based on spam at a security oriented site isn't the way to go.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

I read the avast thread. The main complaint was about forum content (not much original posts) this I already knew but it generated constructive discussions among staff members. Another one was that we post too much news and avast has a thread dedicated to that, something to keep in mind when we have more original content. Another one was to offer support for apps that currently don't have a support forum, like PrivateFirewall, if I am not mistaken, could be a good one. Many other posts were of no use to me.

On the other hand this could backfire, so I'll probably give the MT Promoter to anyone that currently has 2 ref. (I need to see how many refs everyone has) and than increase the Days on forum and rep points needed to obtain it. This needs to be discussed among staff members, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.