From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I would like to thank all MT members who donated the @askalan H_C website.
@askalan created this website for free as a student project to support the H_C development, but there are some annual costs related to keeping it on the server. So donations will help him to keep the website alive.
The development of the H_C applications does not need donations, for now. I am retired, so I do not need to sell my applications for living and I can manage to buy the code signing certificate to sign all my applications.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi Andy Ful, i have one question, I saw that the version of FirewallHardening in H_C beta 5.1.1.1 is 1.0.1.1 and the one on GitHub is 1.1.1.1, can the old executable be replaced with the new one directly in the folder where H_C is installed? is there any reason for incompatibility?
Same question for DocumentsAntiExploit.
There are only cosmetic GUI differences between standalone versions and the H_C versions. The standalone version contains two executables (64-bit and 32-bit) wrapped by the NSISS installer, so it opens slightly longer as compared to the H_C version.
You can simply use the standalone versions (if you want), they are compatible with H_C.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I would like to thank all MT members who donated the @askalan H_C website.
Hard_Configurator — Home @askalan created this website for free as a student project to support the H_C development, but there are some annual costs related to keeping it on the server. So donations will help him to keep the website alive.
I doesn't found any information how we can donate

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
CUP is strictly related to H_C. In fact, it is H_C with simplified GUI.
I think that ConfigureDefender and FirewallHardening will not be included. One can use the standalone versions available on the H_C GitHub website.

The CUP contains all H_C code, but uses a simple GUI. The H_C is for advanced users. It is very flexible and allows adjusting many of particular options. But, for many users, it is too complex and overwhelming. Most of them want to apply a well-proven setting profile, without going into details - the CUP is just for them. Furthermore, with CUP the user cannot spoil the settings by changing some options.

It sounds like:
  • H_C could be a great choice for users who wanna use Windows default security solutions (it includes tools to customize Windows Defender and Windows Firewall)
  • CUP would be great for people that use 3rd party solutions and want an extra layer of protection
Keep up the great job (y)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The CUP contains all H_C code, but uses a simple GUI. The H_C is for advanced users. It is very flexible and allows adjusting many of particular options. But, for many users, it is too complex and overwhelming. Most of them want to apply a well-proven setting profile, without going into details - the CUP is just for them. Furthermore, with CUP the user cannot spoil the settings by changing some options.
Yup. I prefer a set of proven settings not to upset my system. As of today I have yet to settle for SysHardener or H_C

I think it would be best if the new CUP can have basic and advanced settings separately so new user can progress from basic to advanced at his pace

Configure Defender and Firewall Hardening can be added but on a separate page of CUP for those using the Windows Defender and the default Windows Firewall

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
As I see it: let's suppose a friend of mine has a 3rd party antivirus. I could install CUP on his computer and turn on Windows Hardening. He won't call me back. If I activate Software Restriction Policies, I have to whitelist some applications, At some point, he 'll want to install new apps or just upgrade a few apps...I will get a call...

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Interesting idea with the CUP @Andy Ful . What you might also think of is a "Basic View" and "Advanced View" of Hard_Configurator. That way you can still use the same coding in the same package, just a secondary UI which replaces that usual UI with the CUP one by default but you have the "Advanced Options View" toggle which maybe displays a "caution message" for advanced users and tweaking rather than having to run them as two separate programs. I don't do much tweaking with H_C, I like to set and forget things but because I used WD, I'd also want the ConfigureDefender and FirewallHardening available. So in short, I'd use the current H_C but do the "Basic UI" as in your CUP to replace the middle boxes of the normal H_C window.

Just an idea which may save you time and/or confusion of what product to use but up to you. I know whatever you put together will be amazing :D

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
As I see it: let's suppose a friend of mine has a 3rd party antivirus. I could install CUP on his computer and turn on Windows Hardening. He won't call me back. If I activate Software Restriction Policies, I have to whitelist some applications, At some point, he 'll want to install new apps or just upgrade a few apps...I will get a call...
That will depend on the setting profile. If you will apply the Windows_10_Basic_Recommended_Settings, then the EXE and MSI files will be whitelisted, so there will not be a problem with installing/updating 99% of applications. Only the rare cases will require whitelisting, when the application uses scripts.
The chance of blocking something is comparable to SysHardener, but in H_C you can additionally whitelist the blocked files (not possible in SysHardener).

Interesting idea with the CUP @Andy Ful . What you might also think of is a "Basic View" and "Advanced View" of Hard_Configurator.
I like the idea of separating H_C and CUP (two different executables). In the H_C with two menus, the non-advanced user could use the advanced menu to spoil the settings. Furthermore, the CUP will be compatible with H_C, so the advanced user can use both applications.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
You are using Admin account. If your machine is compromised, the malware will have unrestricted access = game over. Just so you know.

Of course, you are a knowledgeable user so take care.
Yup. I prefer a set of proven settings not to upset my system. As of today I have yet to settle for SysHardener or H_C

I think it would be best if the new CUP can have basic and advanced settings separately so new user can progress from basic to advanced at his pace

Configure Defender and Firewall Hardening can be added but on a separate page of CUP for those using the Windows Defender and the default Windows Firewall

I think that defeats Andys vision, if you want advanced settings and to use CD and FH then just use HC. I think his latest idea is brilliant, use each module separately or all at once in HC. Many options for many types of users. I need to buy Andy a beer next time I'm in Europe, like that is going to happen anytime soon, ( Covid(n)), my booked trip to Scotland in July is toasty oats.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I think that defeats Andys vision, if you want advanced settings and to use CD and FH then just use HC. I think his latest idea is brilliant, use each module separately or all at once in HC. Many options for many types of users. I need to buy Andy a beer next time I'm in Europe, like that is going to happen anytime soon, ( Covid(n)), my booked trip to Scotland in July is toasty oats.
It'll be next year when I travel back up to Scotland. I live in Yorkshire so it's only a few hours away but yeah, COVID19 and other things. Would love to visit Isle of Skye again when this is all over. Anyway, your response was well said :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.