shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If I activate only the Firewall and the Windows Hardening sections in H_C, do I get about the same protection that I have with SysHardener ?
By the Windows Hardening sections, I assume you mean the options on the right side, which are not related to SRP?
No, you will not get the same level of protection. SysHardener will block script files of various types, and to get that protection in H_C, you need to use SRP (the options on the left side)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If I activate only the Firewall and the Windows Hardening sections in H_C, do I get about the same protection that I have with SysHardener ?
As an addition to the post of @shmu26, the H_C FirewallHardening blocks more LOLBins.
If you want to get something similar to SysHardener (but stronger) you can use H_C and load the predefined profile: Windows_10_Basic_Recommended_Settings. This profile allows EXE and MSI files, so you probably will not see a difference in daily work.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Nice cred and mention for Andy here. I'm surprised this has not already been posted.... or did I miss it...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Nice cred and mention for Andy here. I'm surprised this has not already been posted.... or did I miss it...

Yes, great to see more recognition of his amazing work (y)
It was already posted in the Configure Defender thread:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I've been reading all of @Andy Ful 's recommended links in H_C manual and I'm wanting to ask some general questions about SRP, except I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of the manual's explanation of H_C's inner mechanics. I guess it will just have to keep percolating in this old brain of mine ... 🤔👣👣👣🍵
My brain is young still...at least by numbers, and that stuff makes my head spin. I won’t implement SRP default deny until I understand what I’m doing. So it could be a while. :ROFLMAO: Maybe I need the new casual user mode.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
My brain is young still...at least by numbers, and that stuff makes my head spin. I won’t implement SRP default deny until I understand what I’m doing. So it could be a while. :ROFLMAO: Maybe I need the new casual user mode.
Well, I have W10 Pro so I'm learning how to deploy with GPO plus @Andy Ful 's expertise, but without his app. 🤯 😉 Just for the fun of it!

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I've been reading all of @Andy Ful 's recommended links in H_C manual and I'm wanting to ask some general questions about SRP,... 🤔👣👣👣🍵
You are on the right thread to ask.. and you have the right tool (H_C) to check the answers.:)
This probably will improve both your knowledge about SRP and the H_C manual.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Andy, when do you expect the latest H_C beta to be good to go?
It is already good to go. Simply, there can be some unimportant bugs. There were also some, unimportant bugs in the version 5.0.0.0, that were corrected in the beta. Please read about the new <Update Mode>, <Harden Archives>, and <Harden Email Clients> features, because they make the Recommended Settings in the beta different from those in the ver. 5.0.0.0.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Hi Andy atm I'm trying the new 5.1. beta and so far no problems at all. Nice work.
When I looked in the manual I saw that you also mentioned "Font rescaling issues". A few month ago some kind soul told me that I could also try to fix it another way while still having my custom 125% for all other stuff. Maybe you could add that for other people desperate to stay at 125% while using H_C. I just used a picture since my explanation would only be more confusing :D (You have to try if application, system or system enhanced gives the best result). Not sure if it's only an windows 10 Pro option?
Untitled - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi Andy atm I'm trying the new 5.1. beta and so far no problems at all. Nice work.
When I looked in the manual I saw that you also mentioned "Font rescaling issues". A few month ago some kind soul told me that I could also try to fix it another way while still having my custom 125% for all other stuff. Maybe you could add that for other people desperate to stay at 125% while using H_C. I just used a picture since my explanation would only be more confusing :D (You have to try if application, system or system enhanced gives the best result). Not sure if it's only an windows 10 Pro option?
View attachment 240935
On my computer, this spoils the display. So, it may work only on some machines.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.