From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Any idea why i am facing this error when i try to open Configur Defender?Thank you.
Because you're blocking PS in H_C. You may change the setting, but first have you read all the help files?

I haven't used it in a while so not sure how to adjust your settings. IIRC the PS setting is related to your choice of available built-in configurations.
ConfigureDefender works also when PS is blocked by the H_C. Anyway, from the attachment it follows that H_C does not block PS - only script files (*.ps1, etc.) are blocked. Something else blocks ConfigureDefender from running PS cmdlets.

Last edited:

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
If you like Comodo Firewall + Defender, then you can tweak Comodo, skip H_C, and use standalone ConfigureDefender. There is no need to make your setup overcomplicated. (y)
Thank you,I think you are right as I love Comodo FW.(y)(y)
@JoeBlack40 you may use @cruelsister 's configuration. Search YouTube for her video to see her setup.
I am already using Cruel"s CFW settings it"s awesome.(y)(y)Thanks.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Someone needs help::)
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...windows-10-needs.383448/page-143#post-3050467

1637084626045.png

While setting MAX profile one can see a warning:

1637084886739.png

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@oldschool
People simply don't read manuals, no matter how well they are written.

@Andy Ful
You broke two rules which makes the procedure non intuive. I will try to explain.

First you start with a question (if you are applying the protection for child of inexperienced user) and ask the user to come into action when that is NOT the case.

In good UX users should NOT have to chance anything when it is NOT applicable I am not installing it for a child, so I asume h the application keeps things as they are (but you are changing it from visible to invisible).

Secondly you refer to the user's experience level. As this case shows 90% of the inexperienced users think they are experienced.

Ironically this inexperienced user who thinks he is an experienced user makes the wrong decision because of the UX-mistake you made. Or when you did set this UX-trap on purpose it is brilliant, because it makes inexperienced users who don't RTFM make the right choice for their experience level 😀

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful
... Or when you did set this UX-trap on purpose it is brilliant, because it makes inexperienced users who don't RTFM make the right choice for their experience level 😀

The alert is as clear as it should be and ends with:
"Press the <HIDE> button to hide the Security Center or the <KEEP UNHIDDEN> button otherwise."
In ConfigureDefender the MAX settings were from the beginning intended to protect children and casual users, so the default action is to hide the Security Center.
I understand that the MAX settings can be also understood to keep Security Center unhidden. Both solutions are possible, but I prefer the current one. It is also consistent with the meaning that as many restrictions as possible will be applied (including hidden Security Center).(y)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Andy,

It has nothing to do with the max settings (where do you tell your audience about that intention) or what the display says, I can't make it any simpler than it is just not good practice in user interaction design to ask something and require a user action to change the default when that is NOT applicable.

Users should NOT have to change anything when it is NOT applicable. It is the initial question what triggers the wrong response when people are just scanning the text (not carefully reading it). The reaction triggered will be "I am not installing it for a child, so I can just click okay, assuming the application keeps things as they are (but you are changing the default from visible to hide).

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Andy,
Users should NOT have to change anything when it is NOT applicable. It is the initial question what triggers the wrong response when people are just scanning the text (not carefully reading it). The reaction triggered will be "I am not installing it for a child, so I can just click okay, assuming the application keeps things as they are (but you are changing the default from visible to hide).
There is no question in the alert.:unsure:
But OK, I am not a native English speaker. We can change the info. The intention is:
  1. Inform the user that MAX settings are intended to protect children and casual users.
  2. The default and recommended choice will be <HIDE>.
My proposition nr 1:
MAX Protection Level is adjusted to protect children or casual users, so it is recommended to hide Windows Security Center. This will prevent the user from disabling the Defender real-time protection or other security settings.
Press the <HIDE> button to hide Windows Security Center (recommended) or the <KEEP UNHIDDEN> button otherwise.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
My proposition nr 2:
MAX Protection Level is adjusted to protect children or casual users, so it is recommended to hide Windows Security Center.
If you apply the MAX settings on the computer of an experienced user then the recommended action is to keep Windows Security Center unhidden.
Press the <HIDE> button to hide Windows Security Center or the <KEEP UNHIDDEN> button otherwise.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Andy, only change the default action from Hide to Keep unhidden

1637158537415.png

1637158928513.png

So when a user just enters, the KEEP UNDHIDDEN is selected. When a user wants to hide they have to click on the HIDE button

(that is why I thought you maybe did this on purpose, because a casual user would just click without reading and select the option which is best for his/her experience level :) (y)(y)(y) )

PS: Apologize for confusing you, it was not a question, but a popup asking for a user response (picture tells more than a 1000 words)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.