Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator

Kerneli

Apr 28, 2024
Is there Windows 11 23H2 support coming? Or what else would be good free alternative besides Hard configurator as cannot use it with my Win11 23H2...

Azazel

Level 5
Jun 15, 2023
Hello @Andy Ful ,
I have a question.
Is "Block executable files from running unless they meet a prevalence, age, or trusted list criteria" a robust protective rule or are there non-sophisticated ways it can be easily bypassed?

Reactions: Andy Ful

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Hello @Andy Ful ,
I have a question.
Is "Block executable files from running unless they meet a prevalence, age, or trusted list criteria" a robust protective rule or are there non-sophisticated ways it can be easily bypassed?

I've found that particular option being more trouble then it's worth; in essence creating a lockdown mode where EVERYTHING new-ish needs to be whitelisted in order to run.

Reactions: Azazel

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Really? Well, curiouser and curiouser. I've had nothing but problems. But I always automate things via scripting and always update my software.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Really? Well, curiouser and curiouser. I've had nothing but problems. But I always automate things via scripting and always update my software.

Yes, It can block new installations/updates with low prevalence. The block disappears after about 2 days. One can use that ASR rule set to Warn to avoid most problems.
Of course, it will be inconvenient when one has many applications that auto-update frequently. That is why it is not included in ConfigureDefender HIGH settings.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Yes, It can block new installations/updates with low prevalence. The block disappears after about 2 days. One can use that ASR rule set to Warn to avoid most problems.
Of course, it will be inconvenient when one has many applications that auto-update frequently. That is why it is not included in ConfigureDefender HIGH settings.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not in any way, shape or form saying that you or Hard Configurator is bad. I just mean that particular ASR option doesn't fit my needs, for reasons you mentioned. My opinion, this or @danb's Configure Defender should be on every system without exception.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.