Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
The instruction is as follows:
"Simply, run Explorer and Task Manager in extended view (from Power Menu). Sort the view in Task Manager window by clicking the 'Name' column. In the Applications section, right-click on 'Windows Explorer' entry and choose 'Restart'."
Thanks for the reply. My english skills and the wording with the "from power menu" got me confused and I thought I had to do crazy stuff.
Since it worked now I must have done it right. Open Eplorer (Windows Key + e) and (which I missed) open the taskmanager (crlt alt del) and restart the "Windows Explorer Task" via right click.
For me loging in and out for 30 seconds each exe was the annoying part. Now i know how to avoid the log in/out thingy and can decide if the exes or pathes suites me more.
Tldr: Thanks for the help again. Another thing learnd about H_C :)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I worked on the new H_C icon. Here are the shortcuts for the standalone executables (3 old and on new for comparison):

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I worked on the new H_C icon. Here are the shortcuts for the standalone executables (3 old and on new for comparison):
View attachment 213499

shouldn't you use the same shape of icon (round, square) for all?

I am contemplating your new icons and tend to agree with @Gandalf_The_Grey that you might use one icon base, as in green square CD icon, and change the inner icon for each of the others. The advantage of the square icon is that it is consistent with WD icon in context menu. I also like the red inner graphic/text color red of the new version of Switch D-D icon. So e.g. the shield inner icon on CD could be white with red border and green check mark. Make them all square green base icon with consistent inner graphic/text color. I think this would look good.

BTW: I strongly dislike your proposed new H_C icon. Frankly, that's the one I really dislike!

But as I say, I am still contemplating this :unsure: and would appreciate others' comments. (y)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Concur with both Gandolf & Oldschool.

Would probably be better to have a uniform stylistic shape for all product symbology.

And... it's not my usual inclination to comment on such things... but the proposed H_C icon is not catchy nor symbolically attractive.

I worked on a ranch for a few years during the summers... the H_C symbol above reminds me very much of a cattle brand. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Edit -- But, it's all great, and you, of course, should choose the symbol that you like best. It will grow on the rest of us..

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Andy, while I really like having icons and the new one is much better than before shouldn't you use the same shape of icon (round, square) for all?

I think that there should be not one icon..

I think Gandalf and I agree with you that you should have more than one icon. We just wonder if the iconology should indicate in some way that the products are related... from Andy's product family. Please correct me if I've misunderstood you Gandolf.

You can easily tell that all these different Norton/AVG products are related..

But again, this is the product of your hard work, and you should have whatever icons you want.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You can easily tell that all these different Norton/AVG products are related..

Yes, precisely. I think the square could be used for all of them as I explained above. The square could be used to show all the different apps and @Andy Ful could still let users choose from a selection of a few colors they wish for that basic square icon. So that color would be changeable but not the specifics of the rest (the inner) of the icon. I'm partial to the green.

Oh, what fun we are having with such important matters! :D

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hi guys, i really became a fan of this tool hard configurator, i follow your indications and i can run in a gamer machine whith defender and feel very good, but i ilke to use alongside emsisoft antimalware. Did anyone use whith emsisoft?

I haven't but you should not have any problem if that's what you want to do. Emsi is a great soft and very stable.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi guys, i really became a fan of this tool hard configurator, i follow your indications and i can run in a gamer machine whith defender and feel very good, but i ilke to use alongside emsisoft antimalware. Did anyone use whith emsisoft?
I never heard of an AV that doesn't play well with H_C.
It doesn't matter what color of shirt you choose -- your socks will still be just as comfortable.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I uploaded some new icons for H_C executables to GitHub:
One can use them for shortcuts (executables will still have the embedded old icons).

Yeah, those look good.

I think your new and improved icons are substantially better than the previous version. (y)

In case you ever become a cattle rancher, you can still use your old H_C icon. :giggle:

Attachments

• 1558067091913.png
    1558067091913.png
    211.7 KB · Views: 386

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I did. Worked great with no problems.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
View attachment 213499
Don't hate me for this but the Hard_Configurator Logo in the lower right always reminds me of a sausage on a stick getting grilled :D
The H is sooo wide and the C to much like a line for my eyes.
Im more a fan of the "shield thingy" style like post 1451.
It's your work and time and if you want pink unicorns it's all your choice, I just wanted to add my 2 cents :)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Don't hate me for this but the Hard_Configurator Logo in the lower right always reminds me of a sausage on a stick getting grilled :D
The H is sooo wide and the C to much like a line for my eyes.
Im more a fan of the "shield thingy" style like post 1451.
It's your work and time and if you want pink unicorns it's all your choice, I just wanted to add my 2 cents :)
Did you miss my post with uploaded icons, did not you?:giggle:(y)
https://malwaretips.com/threads/hard_configurator-windows-hardening-configurator.66416/post-814760
These are the icons which are published.
The cattle/grill icon is only one of my experiments with icons (it is not the worse one).:emoji_pray:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.