From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Its the legit unmodified swtor launcher that starts any patching they do for updates (via bitraider or so). After the game is patched you can play it.
The launcher.exe opens the screen for your logindata. After entering them any needed patching would start. After that i guess launcher.exe? starts the swtor.exe which is the mainexe for the game.
Why the hell it needs admin rights? No clue. But the game is as legit as it gets. No crack, private server whatever. Only bioware can answer why they need admin :D Just wanted to ask since you mentioned games don't need admin and i wanted to know what i did wrong?
Is this STAR WARS: The Old Republic?

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@Andy Ful Thanks for your kind help. I always thought that it was "normal" for a game to need adminrights. But after switching from admin to SUA swtor got annoying.
And when you mentioned games normaly don't do that i had to ask :D
I never thought it was because of the "great" coding they did and and always thought it was me not doing right with H_C.
Great thanks for the kind help.
So if a game is not "realy interesting coded", i whitelist the exes that are shown in the blocked events and the game should run without admin right and without any problems, right? Windows on c:, games on d:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
So if a game is not "realy interesting coded", i whitelist the exes that are shown in the blocked events and the game should run without admin right and without any problems, right? Windows on c:, games on d:
Yes, usually.
In the case of STWOR the game probably should run without whitelisting (you can delete the whitelisted entries).

Installing Logitech Options software for my mouse is a challenge for my white-listing skills :unsure:
Blocked are:
C:\ProgramData\Logishrd\LogiOptions\Software\7.12.43\LogiOptionsMgr.exe
C:\ProgramData\Logishrd\LogiOptions\Software\Current\LogiOverlay.exe
C:\ProgramData\Logishrd\LogiOptions\Software\Current\Updater.exe
C:\ProgramData\Logishrd\LogiOptions\Software\Current\LogiOptionsUI.exe
C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\LogiOptions\Updater\DJCU_0.0.exe
If you use this software rarily, then you can skip whitelisting, and simply run the application via "Run As SmartScreen".(y)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Thanks, but no it's installed.
And why this could be an issue? When using H_C default-deny, you can "Run As SmartScreen" the software which is hardware related or administrative tools. Most of them require running elevated, anyway. From the security viewpoint, such software like document viewers, media players, web browsers, etc. ( = software which opens vulnerable content) should not be run with admin rights.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I had some issues with my mouse and they're solved by installing this software. So I probably don't need it, but it works now for me. Thanks again for your support. Will have a look at the updater when I'm back home.
Every two to six months, when there is an update, you can just download the new file and install it, if the updater is a problem.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Your welcome:

Version 4.0.1.0
1. Added a new version of RunBySmartScreen (minor changes)
2. Added a new version of ConfigureDefender.
Version 2.0.0.1
a) Added icon.
b) Added the button <Defender Security Log>, which allows seeing last 200 Windows
Defender events.
c) Added the splash alert when applying time-consuming features.
d) Renamed option "Reporting Level (MAPS membership level)" to "Cloud-delivered
Protection".
e) Extended the abilities of <REFRESH> button.
f) Updated the changes made by Microsoft to allow file & folder exclusions for some
additional ASR rules.
g) Corrected the issue with closing the application.
h) Extended the help.
3. Added more blocked Sponsors (total number 173).
4. Added more blocked Sponsors to Enhanced profiles.
5. Added new icons for H_C executables.

View attachment 212815
What is the recommended way to install a new version of H_C, if an older version is already installed?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
What is the recommended way to install a new version of H_C, if an older version is already installed?
This will be a beta version, so you will have to download it and install over the version 4.0.0.2. The new version preserves all current user settings. If you are using recommended_enhanced profile, then simply load it and apply (it includes more sponsors). That is all.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Your welcome:

Version 4.0.1.0
1. Added a new version of RunBySmartScreen (minor changes)
2. Added a new version of ConfigureDefender.
Version 2.0.0.1
a) Added icon.
b) Added the button <Defender Security Log>, which allows seeing last 200 Windows
Defender events.
c) Added the splash alert when applying time-consuming features.
d) Renamed option "Reporting Level (MAPS membership level)" to "Cloud-delivered
Protection".
e) Extended the abilities of <REFRESH> button.
f) Updated the changes made by Microsoft to allow file & folder exclusions for some
additional ASR rules.
g) Corrected the issue with closing the application.
h) Extended the help.
3. Added more blocked Sponsors (total number 173).
4. Added more blocked Sponsors to Enhanced profiles.
5. Added new icons for H_C executables.

View attachment 212815
Is it available for download yet? I don't see it on Hard_Configurator
or on AndyFul/Hard_Configurator

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
C:\Users\Joni\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\76.0.145.0\Installer\setup.exe

Were needed to pass newest canary update
Do not use Canary compilation but rather Dev compilation. The second is more stable and can be installed/updated without whitelisting. Canary should be used only for testing because it uses Temp folder to update and UserSpace to install = two reasons for not using it as a daily browser.
https://malwaretips.com/threads/hard_configurator-windows-hardening-configurator.66416/post-810227

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Do not use Canary compilation but rather Dev compilation. The second is more stable and can be installed/updated without whitelisting. Canary should be used only for testing because it uses Temp folder to update and UserSpace to install = two reasons for not using it as a daily browser.
https://malwaretips.com/threads/hard_configurator-windows-hardening-configurator.66416/post-810227

Completely agree with you on this. Two very good reasons not to use it as a daily driver.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
When i looked at the "Designated File Types" i got confused. The order ist Z>A. No clue if there is a reason for that but as a novice user i was expecting A>Z and was confused when i was searching for stuff in that list. Like a telephone book suddenly starting with Z and now my alphabet is totaly messed up :D
How about that the button called "Gui Skin" changes to "Gui Skin 2", "Gui Skin3" and so on when pressed? Since some look a bit alike it's easier to remember 5 and 8 look good than counting my keypresses for both.
:D
Done.

Click the button with the number (on the right of <GUI Skin>):

:giggle:(y)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Did a clean install of Windows 10 with Windows Defender (Configure Defender high settings) and Hard Configurator (Windows 10 Recommended Enhanced profile) as protection. When I wanted to use a reg script from [Tip] Restoring "Windows Photo Viewer" as Default in Windows 10 - AskVG to get Windows Photo Viewer back it was blocked (of course).
I disabled Default Deny with "switch default deny" and after the reg file was finished I re-enabled Default Deny.
Was that the correct way of working with a reg file?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Did a clean install of Windows 10 with Windows Defender (Configure Defender high settings) and Hard Configurator (Windows 10 Recommended Enhanced profile) as protection. When I wanted to use a reg script from [Tip] Restoring "Windows Photo Viewer" as Default in Windows 10 - AskVG to get Windows Photo Viewer back it was blocked (of course).
I disabled Default Deny with "switch default deny" and after the reg file was finished I re-enabled Default Deny.
Was that the correct way of working with a reg file?
Yes. This is one possibility. After switching OFF the protection you can see the content of the reg file and next apply it by pressing the Enter key on the reg file.

You can do it also without switching OFF the protection. Simply, change the .reg file extension to .txt and see the content of the file in the notepad. Next run regedit.exe and use <File><Import option> to apply the reg keys from this .txt file,

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Yes. This is one possibility. After switching OFF the protection you can see the content of the reg file and next apply it by pressing the Enter key on the reg file.

You can do it also without switching OFF the protection. Simply, change the .reg file extension to .txt and see the content of the file in the notepad. Next run regedit.exe and use <File><Import option> to apply the reg keys in this .txt file,
Thanks and bookmarked. Learned something new today (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.