Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator

floalma

Level 4
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Check my comments and questions in red bold (below)

All H_C changes are wiped out when using the restore point (you have done it already).

As you know, the Windows restore point failed to wiped out HC

All H_C changes are related to "HKLM\Software" and "HKLM\System" registry hives.
Yes, correct but what not enough for me.

The Best is to restore all the registry hives: Sam, Default, Security, Software and System

So the changes in the registry made by H_C should be already wiped out, before you restored the registry hives.
Yes, it should be indeed but why I got this ? Check again this post
Discuss - Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator
(y)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
floalma,
You posted that reverting the system changes by using restore point was successful. I know for sure that the restore point wipes out the H_C changes in the registry. So, the logical conclusion is that the policies introduced via H_C were not the direct source of your rebooting problem.
After restoring the registry hives manually, you were able to reboot and that is also consistent with that the reboot issue had a different direct source.

So what happened? I do not know for sure, but it is still possible that some of your security software could be incompatible with one or more policies introduced by H_C in the period of time when you tested the H_C settings (before closing H_C). As you know some policies are activated immediately after pressing the option buttons. So it is possible that your other security programs currently do not work properly or something was corrupted, and this can be the direct source of your rebooting problem.

What security applications do you use? If I correctly recall you have OSA and SysHardener. Anything else (AV, file & system backup, registry backup, disk utilities, etc.)?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
This post is directed at no one in particular.

Andy is giving his time, helpfulness and expertise to members of this forum for nothing.

Andy developed a really useful tool that many of us use --- for nothing.

Andy put forth a great deal of effort and time to develop that product.

You did not pay anything for the product.... Andy does not owe you his time and effort.

If you are asking for Andy’s time or assistance – you should thank Andy for his time and help. You should be polite. You should be grateful

Otherwise, you are an ugly ingrate.

1566684459322.png

Andy is too patient and professional to say this.

I'm not.

Your Buddy,

-Burrito

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
My main softwares since a few little years are VS, HMPro Alert. Then come OSA, more than one year ago. They are good friends.:)
Then comes SH, last week. At the end HC, a few days ago. ;)
If the problem with rebooting is still present, then you should try restoring the system not from the restore point made by H_C, but from earlier one. Next try to reboot, this time without the Internet connection.
In this way, you can eliminate the possibility that the cause of the issue is broken software update. If I correctly remember Windows Updates are already disabled (why?).

Last edited:

floalma

Level 4
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
I already tried as I told you with System Restore prior to HC and through Software and System registry hives restored. Both ways prior to HC installation. For now, I only have the restoration point prior to HC. All the registry hives were modified since that time.
Yes, WU is completely disabled on my computer.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I already tried as I told you with System Restore prior to HC and through Software and System registry hives restored. Both ways prior to HC installation. For now, I only have the restoration point prior to HC. All the registry hives were modified since that time.
Yes, WU is completely disabled on my computer.
When installing H_C, it makes a system restore point. This was probably the last restore point made before you rebooted. The reboot was unsuccessful, so Windows restored the system from the restore point made by H_C. This reverted the policies configured by H_C (if any were configured), but did not revert the software updates and system changes made before installing H_C, for example HitmanPro Alert updates, system management tasks etc.

You have to use the restore point made before the day you installed H_C, or at least, before the Windows session when you installed H_C. If I correctly read your posts, you did not do it yet. The same is true for restoring the registry hives - you did not mention what was the date of registry copies. They have to be sufficiently old.(y)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
floalma,
Our posts here become off-topic. They are about how to repair the system with overkill security setup, and we already agreed that the Windows policies introduced by H_C can conflict with such a setup. The idea of H_C, is using as little 3rd party real-time security as possible, because of potential compatibility problems.
If you have questions about repairing your system, then PM me or open a separate thread, please.:giggle: (y)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
What can be a lesson from the problems posted by floalma?
  1. The general lesson is that too much security is not healthy for the Windows OS, especially for Windows 10.
  2. In the setup which uses a few strongly overlapping security solutions, it is often hard to find out the cause of the issue. It can be rooted in the hidden incompatibilities long before the issue comes into sight.
  3. In theory, all security applications should be compatible with Windows policies, but no one knows if this is true.
So, can the user install H_C alongside OSA, VoodooShield or SysHardener?
I have two answers:
  1. No - for most users.
  2. Yes - for cautious and advanced users. They can face potential problems and tweak the setup to avoid them (for example, by making the software much less overlapping).
Be, safe.:)(y)

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Here, Hard Configurator with option Win 10 Recommended - Enhanced, Config Defender on High and Firewall hardened.

I've been through the computer security paranoia phase. Now, I see no reason for loading a computer with tons of other security software, hoping to achieve 100% security, which is impossible. I do play with stuff in VirtualBox, where I have an almost mirror setup of my working laptop, but that's just for fun.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have windows enterprise made custom

Security center is not even there ,sorry I thought it was greyed out.Thks

You must have performed tweaks to your OS by running scripts and/or made changes via enterprise (with which I am completely unfamiliar) which disabled WSC. H_C Max profile includes Hide WSC unless you change it to Visible manually.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Here, Hard Configurator with option Windows 10 Recommended - Enhanced, Config Defender on High and Firewall hardened.

I've been through the computer security paranoia phase. Now, I see no reason for loading a computer with tons of other security software, hoping to achieve 100% security, which is impossible. I do play with stuff in VirtualBox, where I have an almost mirror setup of my working laptop, but that's just for fun.
This setup is probably stronger than software you used before. But, it is not especially convenient when you install/update many applications. (y)

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
True, it is less convenient, but the trade-off is worth the extra step or two I have to take to download or update an application.

Reactions: Andy Ful

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.