Advice Request How do I format boot sectors (mbr-gpt etc.)?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
You can convert.

We have some history threads in this forum

ciao

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 22, 2022
You can convert.

We have some history threads in this forum
but when we convert it, the data inside it is not deleted? @CyberTech

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
but when we convert it, the data inside it is not deleted? @CyberTech

According to show-Zi she says no data loss. if you follow her step by step what she did:

Also this for you to learn it and be careful. please read it if your data is important.

Good luck

ciao

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 22, 2022
According to show-Zi she says no data loss. if you follow her step by step what she did:

Also this for you to learn it and be careful. please read it if your data is important.

Good luck
I already want to delete the data in the emulation segments. @CyberTech

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Reactions: franz and Sorrento

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I recently bought a M.2 external caddy, I've not used it yet but could be useful without the constraints of a drive running in a PC.

Reactions: franz

ciao

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 22, 2022

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
But when you throw it there is only scanning. As far as I know virus cannot be found in scans if encrypted @HarborFront

Look. If scanning catches a virus it'll show up otherwise there's nothing for the AV to show.

Definition of a boot sector virus

A boot sector is a reserved section of a disk that contains the code and data needed to start the operating system (OS) of a computer. A boot sector virus is a type of malware that infects a system’s boot partition or the Master Boot Record (MBR) of a hard disk. During startup and before security software can be executed, the virus executes malicious code. Once a computer is infected, a boot sector virus will try to infect every disk that is accessed on the infected system.

If the virus is encrypted then the virus cannot perform its malicious actions without itself decrypt first. That is to say, the virus is useless if it stays in its encrypted state. AV software like Avast can detect during boot time when the encrypted boot sector virus decrypts itself to cause malicious actions. If malware prevents Avast Antivirus from running in normal mode, you can schedule Boot-Time Scan to run in Safe Mode.

Read here

EDIT - I see you already posted at the Malware Removal Section

Last edited:
Reactions: Stopspying

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Look, I'm asking you this:
If there is a virus in the boot partition, what can I do to delete this virus?
@CyberTech
Start from scratch. A clean PC is better than a disinfected one.
  • Backup all your important data to an external drive, or the cloud.
  • Format the whole partition / disk drive.
  • Reinstall OS with GPT/UEFI (not MBR/BIOS)
  • Don’t download anything from untrusted sites or warez.
Microsoft offer this tool for Windows 10, it may be useful:

Else follow this guide for GPT

Look. If scanning catches a virus it'll show up otherwise there's nothing for the AV to show.

As for encrypted boot sector virus are you infected with one now? If yes, then post at the Malware Removal Section. There's one expert there to help you
We have suggest this before, they appear to have abandoned ship due to minor concerns over uploading .txt files.

Side note: Microsoft also offer their own community services for help and support.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
There are a few different ways to format the boot sector, depending on what you're trying to do. Here are some general steps to follow:

1. Open the Disk Management utility in Windows 10. You can do this by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting "Disk Management" from the context menu.

2. Locate the disk that you want to format the boot sector for. You should see a graphical representation of all your disks and partitions in the bottom half of the Disk Management window.

3. Right-click on the partition that you want to format the boot sector for and select "Properties" from the context menu.

4. Click on the "Tools" tab and then click on the "Check" button under the "Error Checking" section.

5. Follow the prompts to check the disk for errors. Depending on what the utility finds, it may suggest formatting the disk in order to fix the errors.

6. If you need to format the disk, right-click on the partition again and select "Format" from the context menu. Choose your preferred filesystem and follow the prompts to format the disk.

Note that formatting the boot sector can be a risky undertaking, especially if you're trying to recover data or repair a damaged partition. Make sure you have a good backup of any important files before you proceed.

ciao

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 22, 2022
Start from scratch. A clean PC is better than a disinfected one.
  • Backup all your important data to an external drive, or the cloud.
  • Format the whole partition / disk drive.
  • Reinstall OS with GPT/UEFI (not MBR/BIOS)
  • Don’t download anything from untrusted sites or warez.
Microsoft offer this tool for Windows 10, it may be useful:

Else follow this guide for GPT

We have suggest this before, they appear to have abandoned ship due to minor concerns over uploading .txt files.

Side note: Microsoft also offer their own community services for help and support.
Hello, I got a little late reply, but I want to ask, can this virus pass to other devices via wifi and come back to my computer after I format the disk? @Ink

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.