Advice Request How many times a day you shut down your PC?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Reactions: Dave Russo

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Due to may power outages per day I do turn off my PC TOO MANY times just to protect it from electricity damage (I have my PC connect to UPS though). I also turn off my laptop when I do need to use it for like 5 hours otherwise I just close the lid. I do restart both devices multiple times a day.
Me too!!

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Does anyone else disable Sleep? I disable Sleep due to Intel XTU service which maintains a cpu undervolt and this offset reverts to 0 if machine sleeps. So, when I'm away during the day, I turn off the monitor and 10 min. later the machine goes into Standby mode.

Overnight, like many here, it's shut down via Windows and then is powered off via the surge protector.

:whistle::coffee:

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
@plat1098 I disable sleep when plugged in to a power source on my laptop. The only time my computer sleeps is when if it's running off the battery and since I'm at home for the most part, that is very rare. My laptop has problems waking up from sleep (cursor will stop working because I custom installed a different touch pad), so I prefer not to use sleep.

As far as shutting down my laptop, I only shutdown before I head to bed.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Do you tend to avoid shutting down to avoid the hassle of startup time?
If so, the situation will change depending on whether you are using ssd or hdd. I'm using ssd, so startup times don't bother me much. Hibernation is disabled to avoid writing.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Having only owned laptops, I always follow the manufacturer's advice, which is to shut down fully at the end of the day. With my previous Acer-Gateway when the power button broke, I used software to sleep and resume at specified times each day. (I used that arrangement for two years!)

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
If so, the situation will change depending on whether you are using ssd or hdd. I'm using ssd, so startup times don't bother me much. Hibernation is disabled to avoid writing.
No, I shut it down. I have SSD.

Having only owned laptops, I always follow the manufacturer's advice, which is to shut down fully at the end of the day. With my previous Acer-Gateway when the power button broke, I used software to sleep and resume at specified times each day. (I used that arrangement for two years!)
Couldn't you get the support to replace the power button?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I have an SSD, so have short startup times, but still never power my computer off. Not only do I find it very convenient to be able to continue right where I left off, it is rare that I actually need to restart Windows to fix any issues. I use my computer for 12+ hours a day and can go for weeks before I have any issues which would require me to restart. I never even close the Chrome based browser I use, as it also runs fine after being open for weeks.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Windows OS can resume the update process upon boot up, Software and Hardware are more resilient than most think.
If you disconnect the cable when Windows is writing to your hard drive or SSD there is a chance of it causing errors on the drive. The only time I ever don't let my laptop shutdown normally, is if it has frozen. If for example it's taking a long time to install an update and has seemingly frozen, I will only force it shut down is if the hard drive activity LED is never lighting up, so I know there is no disk activity taking place.

L

Local Host

If you disconnect the cable when Windows is writing to your hard drive or SSD there is a chance of it causing errors on the drive. The only time I ever don't let my laptop shutdown normally, is if it has frozen. If for example it's taking a long time to install an update and has seemingly frozen, I will only force it shut down is if the hard drive activity LED is never lighting up, so I know there is no disk activity taking place.
Honestly pulling the plug while Windows is Updating is asking to corrupt the system, won't even need to go far and explain how it can damage the hardware itself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.