Advice Request Is it Safe to use Avast Free Antivirus or Kaspersky Security Cloud Free?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
didn't read avast but it is clearly the mention about and in sharing your data theater in Kaspersky free although not sure about the special EU version
btw you can tweak Kaspersky free by using the free trial of kiv changing settings and activating kfa again
I also read about some reg key you can delete that will get rid of the register nag

Last edited:

cybercrucible

From Cyber Crucible
Verified
Developer
Apr 1, 2020
I would be glad to speak from the perspective of CEO of an early stage security product corporation finding new malware, but want to be careful not to be seen as selling. I guess, if someone with some type of authority on the site gives the green light, I'll step on the soapbox and give you all some context from my perspective (and, remember, I was a threat hunter for many years before realizing I needed to make products if we want to automate).

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
My choice is Kaspersky because it's the most consistent in almost every test with strong behavioral blocker
- You can add any extension for better webfilter alongside Kaspersky. You CAN'T do the opposite. Adding BD Trafficlight and WDBP for ultimate protection
- Use the EU version. It gives you more options to opt-out data collection
- BitDefender has changed their focus on web protection instead of signatures recently, as I can tell from my test. Their web component has improved significantly while their signatures have been pretty useless. I haven't seen any big improvement in their BB, the same for most other AVs

Kaspersky Free AV + BD trafficlight + WDBP = winning combo

Last edited:

Wraith2020

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
My choice is Kaspersky because it's the most consistent in almost every test with strong behavioral blocker
- You can add any extension for better webfilter alongside Kaspersky. You CAN'T do the opposite. Adding BD Trafficlight and WDBP for ultimate protection
- Use the EU version. It gives you more options to opt-out data collection
- BitDefender has changed their focus on web protection instead of signatures recently, as I can tell from my test. Their web component has improved significantly while their signatures have been pretty useless. I haven't seen any big improvement in their BB, the same for most other AVs

Kaspersky Free AV + BD trafficlight + WDBP = winning combo
In terms of protection it's no doubt that Kaspersky is the best. But if we speak about Avast, don't you think it has a slight advantage with the Hardened Mode (Avast also has a BB like Kaspersky). No matter which AV I use, I always use SysHardener on every PC to disable all scripts and for browser protection I use MBBG and uBO.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I'm a bit of a privacy freak but believe Kaspersky is safe, they have gone to a lot of effort & expense to show they are safe - Of course we don't know who is selling / using our data & who isn't, but Kaspersky IMHO is way in front of some cheap / free VPN's that people use? Amazon, Facebook & Google know more than my other half does? :eek::eek::eek:

Wraith2020

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
I do not see the deterioration. On the contrary, I see the antivirus more and more robust. And not everything is signatures is an antivirus.
Don't get me wrong. I don't have any grudge towards BD. In fact I use it on my family PC and it's great for my elderly parents who wants an automated AV. Their web protection alongwith ATP does a great job of preventing threats. But lately it's signatures have fallen a bit behind Kaspersky and ESET. But then again no AV is bulletproof. Even Kaspersky (default settings) was defeated by a Chinese Ransomware a few days ago at the MT hub.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Don't get me wrong. I don't have any grudge towards BD. In fact I use it on my family PC and it's great for my elderly parents who wants an automated AV. Their web protection alongwith ATP does a great job of preventing threats. But lately it's signatures have fallen a bit behind Kaspersky and ESET. But then again no AV is bulletproof. Even Kaspersky (default settings) was defeated by a Chinese Ransomware a few days ago at the MT hub.
I prefer Kaspersky free. For 2020 is the best free protection. And Avast is very secure but need it many tweaks and syshardener combo.

Wraith2020

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
I will give a try to KSC Free down the road. For the time being I settled with Avast Premier. I changed some settings regarding telemetry and I hope that it'll be for the good. Any suggestions on how to tweak Avast? And to make matters a bit more interesting the illegal license that I had still seems to be working.:devilish:
1.JPG
2.JPG

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I will give a try to KSC Free down the road. For the time being I settled with Avast Premier. I changed some settings regarding telemetry and I hope that it'll be for the good. Any suggestions on how to tweak Avast? And to make matters a bit more interesting the illegal license that I had still seems to be working.:devilish:

Wraith2020

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
it is famous crack from years ago. i surprised that it is still working until now. (as for kaspersky there is trial resetter which is working fine until now )
No it's not a crack. It's an Avast license file from years ago. Yeah I'm also surprised that it's working. Hush it's better to keep it under the wraps. You never know if Avast is spying on this thread and decides to block the license.:p:geek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.