Advice Request Is Torch Web Browser safe to use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Very suspicious.
They include Torrent, advertise Unthreat anti-virus software and their website isn't good at all:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Last edited:

xtremehosting

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 12, 2014
I will setup environment using vagrant or docker to test the browser, i cannot risk data as i have clients data.is there any way i can run some test inside docker or vagrant to check if its safe?

Reactions: Nevi and Jack

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
It's wikipedia article states it hasn't received an update since September 30, 2020. If that's true then it's missing at least 215 security fixes that have been applied to Chromium since then.
So no, it isn't safe.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
They include Torrent, advertise Unthreat anti-virus
Good ol' UnThreat with the Vipre signatures. It wasn't that bad actually back in the day.

Privacy policy of Torch:

Privacy.PNG

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I used it some time ago because of its media grabber for downloading videos, and it worked fine for that. But I would advise against using it now as it has not been updated since June of last year. If you need a browser with media and torrent downloading, Cốc Cốc is worth looking at. It is updated fairly regularly and according to Umbra is very popular in Vietnam. I use it for downloading videos and little else.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Well, apparently on Torche's FAQ page it says it is 100% free of Adware and Spyware :confused:
1616139968023.png

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

xtremehosting

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 12, 2014
I used it some time ago because of its media grabber for downloading videos, and it worked fine for that. But I would advise against using it now as it has not been updated since June of last year. If you need a browser with media and torrent downloading, Cốc Cốc is worth looking at. It is updated fairly regularly and according to Umbra is very popular in Vietnam. I use it for downloading videos and little else.
i will try coc browser, in isolated environment

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.