Is Windows 11 a worthy successor to Windows 10?

Do you feel that Windows 11 was worth the upgrade over Windows 10?

• Total voters

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 11 is now 14 months old since general availability (Oct 2021), and before we head into 2023 - do you think it is a worthy successor to Windows 10?

For those currently using Windows 11, a few questions:
  • How was your experience during the upgrade process? Were there any major hiccups?
  • Did you lose data or miss any features from Windows 10?
  • Did you discover new features in Windows 11 that were better?
  • How does it compare to before on daily usage?
  • Is there anything you’d like to see brought to the table in 2023?

For those currently sticking with, or reverted back to Windows 10:
  • If you were not impressed, how long did you last using Windows 11?
  • Do you have plans to retry Windows 11 again?
  • Will your next PC or Laptop be compatible with all the software/hardware requirements?
  • What would make you switch to 11?

For those that do not use, or no longer use Windows:
  • What OS is your daily driver?
  • Do you see Android integration a selling point into try Windows 11?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I run both so I retain a pretty good idea of how both look and feel. I have an anti-Microsoft bias when it comes to the hardware restrictions viz: Windows 11 so that turns me off even more. Even one perfectly fine machine ending up in a landfill just because of Windows 11...:mad:

Strongly prefer Windows 10 as I can make customizations to the desktop, which isn't possible in 11. Further, despite all the hoop-la with the "clean" look in 11, to me it's a mess with the persistent 3 different iterations of the UI. Ridiculous. Give me 10 any day; at least it doesn't make these silly promises--it's like your favorite pair of jeans. But in all fairness, Windows 11 is a capable and stable operating system (for me).. I first installed it via bootleg ISO end of June, 2021--with fully compliant hardware and firmware. Nothing will make me switch to it full-time.

Windows 12 is still too nebulous.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've been running Windows 11 daily on unsupported hardware for months and on the whole, I've liked it a lot. It's noticably faster than Windows 10 and I've had few issues. I've also installed it on a number of others PCs with unsupported hardware and it's worked well on those PCs too.

After I upgraded, the touchpad and keyboard on my laptop weren't working. But I was able to fix this from Device Manager, using a USB mouse and keyboard. I didn't lose any data when upgrading and I don't really miss anything that Windows 10 had. While Windows 11 has gained a reputation of being a terrible OS, I've had few issues. There have been a few times when I've been unable to search from the Start Menu. But restating searchui.exe fixed the issue and it's been some time since it last happened. A while back I started getting constant BSODs. As I usually do, I did my best to find the cause. However, I had no success and restored from a working backup. After weirdly getting the same BSOD, the first time I boosted after restoring from the backup, my system has been running fine since. Anyway I think it was a Windows issue that could have happened with Windows 10 too, rather than just being a Windows 11 issue.

I've yet to upgrade to 22H2. Since I'm running on unsupported hardware, I won't be offered the upgrade via Windows Update, so need to manually upgrade.

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
  • How was your experience during the upgrade process? Were there any major hiccups?
seemless compared to windows 8\8.1 upgrade
some minor issues after one or two individual updates that were fixed within thirty minutes of online search of solution
  • Did you lose data or miss any features from Windows 10?
no, windows 8/8.1 lost an entire drive
  • Did you discover new features in Windows 11 that were better?
not really, if they are there they are not used by me
  • How does it compare to before on daily usage?
no noticeable difference
  • Is there anything you’d like to see brought to the table in 2023?
make security more polished, but that will never happen because of so much feature abandonment (oh so many things in windows and the microsoft world)

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
I haven't found a single thing in my experience that I believe 11 doesn't do equal to or better than 10. I agree with the hardware restrictions though. My 8 year old backup system (laptop) now utilizes a Linux os as a stopgap measure to keep me going in the event of a catastrophic failure. I would immediately shop for an 11 desktop replacement though.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Downgraded (in fact upgraded) from Windows 11 to 10 due to inconsistent performance throughout OS, like it or deal with it GUI changes, Very aggressive Microsoft phoning home (based on NextDNS log comparison). It is good in a way that auto download of Windows 11 can be stopped by just disabling TPM in the BIOS.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Windows 11 still suffers from childish bugs, GUI inconsistencies and even more serious bugs (never-ending TPM issues, SSD defragmenting, memory leaking, etc).
Considering that there are 3 insider channels, it is incomprehensible that those problems made into the stable channel. I am afraid, what Windows 12 will be like. :eek:

P.S.: I myself have not run into any issues (except TPM, I got a standalone), but I have customized 11, because I know MS and when something is disabled, it can not cause problems.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I'm still using Win 10 because it is the best windows ever made (at lest for me) and I'm not sure about Win 11.
Windows 11 is fine, despite all the negative opinions about it. It often is faster than Windows 10 and I've found to be very stable on the whole. But, other than the better performance there are no killer new features and some people don't like changes to the UI, such as it now requiring two clicks to view the full context menu.

Last edited:

devjit2020

Level 2
Apr 7, 2022
For me Windows 11 is much better than Windows 10 although I haven't tried 10 for a long time TBH. When I first upgraded from 7 to 10, I immediately reverted back to 7 but eventually had to upgrade due to lack of support. But I was never happy with it. On the contrary when I first tried out 11, it felt a lot better visually and much more smoother than 10. Currently using 11 and so far absolutely flawless.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
other than the better performance there are no killer new features and some people don't like changes to the UI, such as it now requiring two clicks to view the full context menu.
This is true, but MS has simplified the overall UI design where some of the most used features are easily accessible, at least for me. So the simplified UI works well most of the time. This obviously isn't the case for some users though.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

What I miss on Windows11 is the ability to move taskbar to left or right. On my desktop I am using a wide monitor, so it makes more sense to put the taskbar on the sides (left or right) to enjoy most of the wide screen. Web sites are not that wide (at least my monitor is much wider), documents are neither (mostly portrait).

My wife uses laptops for work (windows10) and personal (windows11) use. She does not notices any difference, because she always had the taskbar at the bottom.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Taskbar, GUI and other minor annoyances don't really make a difference. Those things are minor and can be dealt with. Windows 11 is serviceable and does the job, I'm just sad that SRP is gone but everything has a shelf life. The problem is it always takes 1 to 2 years to get software compatibility up to date and iron out all the bugs but then it is smooth sailing. I'm very curious about Andy Ful's new tool's and hopefully a version of AppLocker home or other relevant security software to Hard Configurator is available for Windows 11.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
How does one feel about artificial intelligence in the form of ChatGPT possibly making an appearance in upcoming operating systems? Does that offer any redemption to those who aren't thrilled w/Windows 11 to begin with?

Hint: Me? Yuck. Hope it's optional and Edge isn't baked into the system to where you can't remove it. :sick:

Reactions: show-Zi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.