Status
Not open for further replies.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Though it won't have a behavior blocker as compared to some other free AVs out there. The power - definitions, heuristics and cloud detections.
I read through the blog post and completely missed that somehow. o_O
Shame about the lack of a behaviour blocker. I put very little faith in heuristics and cloud detection against unknown malware although I'll reserve judgement until it's been put through the wringer.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
First of all well done Kaspersky to provide us a free version of your AV.
Now from what i can see no BB, so this means that is another Avira on the market?.
I mean it will have just signatures to block malware?
Or at least it will use Cloud Network to provide better protection?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
upload_2017-7-25_23-43-17.png

Can't open the webpage for download.:(
Edit: Downloading now @1mbps on a 50mbps connection. Kaspersky servers are definitely working harder.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I thought it goes without saying that AVs need anti-exe or default deny supporting it like Voodoo Shield or App guard or something else. Simply put I never rely only on AVs.
true true. However, I still think that we can find a better free AV with all features and lighter than KFA to pair with an anti-exe
I'm afraid running KFA would be a bit heavier than the others. The most noticeably resource impacts of kasperaky products in general are the web shield (injects codes into browsers which makes browsers slower and consumes more resource) and slow scanning speed that made my copy&paste speed and opening new apps very slow

besides these, Kaspersky is no.1 quality on my list

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
It seems like a smart move by Kaspersky. The free AV doesn't have the key selling points of Kaspersky, but it certainly will atract lots of users because of the name Kaspersky on it. And this large userbase means more intelligence, and also hitting harder at the likes of Avast, Avira and others. But I still would prefer Avast, until we learn more how KFA performs.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
It seems like a smart move by Kaspersky. The free AV doesn't have the key selling points of Kaspersky, but it certainly will atract lots of users because of the name Kaspersky on it. And this large userbase means more intelligence, and also hitting harder at the likes of Avast, Avira and others. But I still would prefer Avast, until we learn more how KFA performs.
it's basically Kaspersky sigs and KSN, it's definitely strong but Kaspersky's strength always been in the dynamic modules.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
alright, been testing it since Ive had it installed. Its def. strong (no samples tested except for eicar)

the only thing I don't like about it is when a threat is detected on system it notifies you and doesn't auto-remove/quarantine it. and none of the settings i can
find can change it to do so. Is this a kaspersky thing?

It's not product breaking for me. just a minor annoyance.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
the only thing I don't like about it is when a threat is detected on system it notifies you and doesn't auto-remove/quarantine it. and none of the settings i can
find can change it to do so.
So you just found the drawback of the free version. It sounds like a deliberate shortcoming that is designed to get people to buy the paid version.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
So you just found the drawback of the free version. It sounds like a deliberate shortcoming that is designed to get people to buy the paid version.

Yes, unless this is a designed functionality and then I can understand why it is this way.

It doesn't hurt its protection IMO. Once a threat has been detected it notifies the user to choose a option in the interface but it also seems to suspend
the objects execution until a action is chosen.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
First of all well done Kaspersky to provide us a free version of your AV.
Now from what i can see no BB, so this means that is another Avira on the market?.
Or at least it will use Cloud Network to provide better protection?
It did make me think of Avira! Since Eugene Kaspersky has said that this app will help generate better intelligence with more data submissions/exchange, the free users must be a part of the cloud AKA the KSN. Maybe someone can confirm over here.
You can pare KFA with KART to get system watcher.
Perfect recipe. However, KSN has:
Protection technologies: File AV (KSN based) + System watcher
Wouldn't the File AV (though KSN based) of KART interfere with the provisions of Kaspersky FREE? @Evjl's Rain you might be knowing the provisions of KART well. What do you think about this?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
It did make me think of Avira! Since Eugene Kaspersky has said that this app will help generate better intelligence with more data submissions/exchange, the free users must be a part of the cloud AKA the KSN. Maybe someone can confirm over here.

Perfect recipe. However, KSN has:

Wouldn't the File AV (though KSN based) of KART interfere with the provisions of Kaspersky FREE? @Evjl's Rain you must be knowing the provisions of KART. What do you think about this?
someone said that if we install KART first then, install KFA, they can run together. If we do the opposite order, KART won't allow us to install on top of any kaspersky program
it is worth mentioned from all of my tests that system watcher module of KART is trimmed down version of KIS's system watcher. It focuses on the generic detection of trojan. ransomwares are trojans according kaspersky
When I tested KART and KIS (disabled KSN and all other shields) against the same pack of 20-30 ransomwares, KIS missed 1 sample while KART with KSN and system watcher enabled missed many

I also tested KART using malware hub samples with non-ransomware samples, KART was easily got infected and failed to block many samples

my conclusion: KIS > KFA + KART

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
someone said that if we install KART first then, install KFA, they can run together. If we do the opposite order, KART won't allow us to install on top of any kaspersky program
it is worth mentioned from all of my tests that system watcher module of KART is trimmed down version of KIS's system watcher. It focuses on the generic detection of trojan. ransomwares are trojans according kaspersky
When I tested KART and KIS (disabled KSN and all other shields) against the same pack of 20-30 ransomwares, KIS missed 1 sample while KART with KSN and system watcher enabled missed many

I also tested KART using malware hub samples with non-ransomware samples, KART was easily got infected and failed to block many samples

well that's obvious conclusion, it's more about having a free suites combination rather than paying for one.
although sometimes i wonder why people don't buy stuff when i can find 1 year licenses for dirt cheap.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes, unless this is a designed functionality and then I can understand why it is this way.

It doesn't hurt its protection IMO. Once a threat has been detected it notifies the user to choose a option in the interface but it also seems to suspend
the objects execution until a action is chosen.
They are very smart. They built it in such a way that th

Thanks for all your hard work. That is important to know.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Evjl's Rain thank you very much for your explanation.
In this case i think if i want a free security program i will look somewhere else like BD or Avast which both have BB.
But at the moment EAV offers me very good protection since i tweaked it and runs very light on my old system with W7;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.