Kaspersky Free 2018 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
@Evjl's Rain thank you very much for your explanation.
In this case i think if i want a free security program i will look somewhere else like BD or Avast which both have BB.
But at the moment EAV offers me very good protection since i tweaked it and runs very light on my old system with W7;)
you sacrifice BD's weak and late sigs for a BB, i'm not sure. Also the BB is not known to be powerful against ransomware either.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
That's the lowest marketing speech ever:
upload_2017-7-25_21-26-36.png

Source: KL AV for Free. Secure the Whole World Will Be. | Nota Bene: Eugene Kaspersky's Official Blog

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Appreciable effort in providing the free version ;)
Of course, the lack of BB can affect the final quality of the product when Avast, for example, offers all this and more, however for free.
But BB makes the difference between the free and the paid version, of course.
As always, it is user's choice on which AV to install but now we have another good option for sure so thanks Kaspersky :)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
you sacrifice BD's weak and late sigs for a BB, i'm not sure. Also the BB is not known to be powerful against ransomware either.
I would. If there's no signature for a malware sample and that sample is deemed safe by heuristics and cloud analysis then who knows how long it's going to be sat on a system before it's caught. As hit-or-miss as behavioural blocking is its role is too important to omit once static detection methods fail. (Assuming the product is being run on its own. Pairing it with an anti-exe or SRP somewhat invalidates my argument.)

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I would. If there's no signature for a malware sample and that sample is deemed safe by heuristics and cloud analysis then who knows how long it's going to be sat on a system before it's caught. As hit-or-miss as behavioural blocking is its role is too important to omit once static detection methods fail.
yea well you're correct but BD's sigs would have a 50-60% detection rate compared to Kaspersky+KSN, are you confident the 40% difference in samples gets caught by BB?

again, we're thinking with the fact that people don't want to pay for premium products.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
yea well you're correct but BD's sigs would have a 50-60% detection rate compared to Kaspersky+KSN, are you confident the 40% difference in samples gets caught by BB?

again, we're thinking with the fact that people don't want to pay for premium products.

BD signatures are not what they used to be anymore, but saying that it has 50% detection rate is surreal.

Appreciable effort in providing the free version ;)
Of course, the lack of BB can affect the final quality of the product when Avast, for example, offers all this and more, however for free.
But BB makes the difference between the free and the paid version, of course.
As always, it is user's choice on which AV to install but now we have another good option for sure so thanks Kaspersky :)
Definitely a nice option. I would like to see this product against BD Free and/or WD in a brief zero-day samples test.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
BD signatures are not what they used to be anymore, but saying that it has 50% detection rate is surreal.

Definitely a nice option. I would like to see this product against BD Free and/or WD in a brief zero-day samples test.
read again, i meant, 60% of what Kaspersky+KSN would detect.
now that i think about it that means even less, i guess i should put it around 70-80%

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017

I'd have to see a 40% difference to believe it, but let me answer your question with a question of my own:
Would you be confident that Kaspersky's heuristics and cloud analysis can protect your system against a single malware sample - that neither vendor has a signature for - better than Bitdefender's behavioural blocking after it's executed on your system?

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I am seriously impressed, compared to other free AVs, KAF is not missing anything.
Settings allow to customize everything, that an advanced user might want to.

Not to mention, it is light, like really light, it has got 1% CPU usage at all times, even when playing a game, watching HD video and browsing internet simultaneously, unlike WD, which spikes up to 50% even when coughing. :rolleyes:

Though, you might want to "Disable Encrypted connection scanning" (Network settings), for obvious reasons.

The best part for me, it is the only AV, which was able to install and run with my strict settings. Respect. :cool:

There was a zero-detection daily webpage, the best AV has got 50%, the rest was crawling around 20%.
Every good AV can detect malware 24-48 hours old, so only zero malware's detection really matters.

Attachments

• capture_07262017_005222.jpg
    capture_07262017_005222.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 569
  • capture_07262017_005305.jpg
    capture_07262017_005305.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 549

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I am seriously impressed, compared to other free AVs, KAF is not missing anything.
Settings allow to customize everything, that an advanced user might want to.

Not to mention, it is light, like really light, it has got 1% CPU usage at all times, even when playing a game, watching HD video and browsing internet simultaneously, unlike WD, which spikes up to 50% even when coughing. :rolleyes:

Though, you might want to "Disable Encrypted connection scanning" (Network settings), for obvious reasons.

The best part for me, it is the only AV, which was able to install and run with my strict settings. Respect. :cool:

There was a zero-detection daily webpage, the best AV has got 50%, the rest was crawling around 20%.
Every good AV can detect malware 24-48 hours old, so only zero malware's detection really matters.

Malware sites are not really my concern, as I mainly rely on Google's list+hpHosts.
But I guess we can agree on one thing, if we test every great AV against zero day malware websites, probably none would get more than 30/40%.

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
It seems to be good, his problem will be against PUP, most of the free has protection and Kaspersky lets go through being program legitimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.