Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I bit. Couldn't wait. Tested it, it works and doesn't mess with my games unlike Avast, F-Secure and whatnot. I wish it was more set it and forget it because it would ask me what to do with certain suspicious files. Very happy. Make sure to configure appropriately. :)

Reactions: MWNu72

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Ohhh Yeah Kaspersky strikes back.
Free AV world took a massive hit :D

I don't think that's quite the case. It is a valuable player, but avast! and AVG do provide full behavior blocker in free version and that's very hard to beat. Plus, the uncertainty with the license of free version (it says 365 days with no mention of extensions) and required creation of Kaspersky account makes it a good option, but not quite something that will massively disrupt the market. Imo.

Reactions: MWNu72 and DeepWeb

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
Yesterday I installed KAF (I have Comodo firewall and Sandboxie). No alerts about incompatibility. Works like charm. CPU and RAM usage good. When scanning - it was terrible. And how Things go stable. I like it. I don't care about System Watcher and Apps control. The most important thing that KAF works with Comodo and Sandboxie.

Reactions: BugCode

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I don't think that's quite the case. It is a valuable player, but avast! and AVG do provide full behavior blocker in free version and that's very hard to beat. Plus, the uncertainty with the license of free version (it says 365 days with no mention of extensions) and required creation of Kaspersky account makes it a good option, but not quite something that will massively disrupt the market. Imo.
True. Even though the cloud will make static detections reach farther than other free AVs, the lack of System Watcher makes it just incomplete and weak for use alone.

Two things will happen. One, the ignorant folks or amateurs will believe in the name of Kaspersky, let go off extra features like Privacy protection (Web data collection, webcam protection) ... as they've mentioned on the downloads page in comparison table. The lack of BB, AppControl is not mentioned at all in the comparison, an incomplete illustration of differences for those wanting to go for it, except if they care to research. However, same is the way KAV is compared against KIS by them. Only difference being KAV has SW that Kaspersky Free doesn't.
Two, some pros will Complete their layered setup with Kaspersky Free, if they only lacked a nice definitions engine.

Since they've not mentioned about any limitations of the license, this can be a case similar to some other free AVs that offer completely free versions with an annual renewal (again free). There's nothing to unlock in Kaspersky Free after a year except that they ask to upgrade to KAV.

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015

Indeed. I'm not sure Kaspersky free can beat Avast, Avg (and Bitdefender free too) without systemwatcher. Eager to see how it will perform on malware hub. However many people will be attracted by the name and will switch to Kasperrsky free for sure.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
Kaspersky Free product is good but it can't replace Avast in terms of performance and innovation.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I was quickly skimming through the EULA offered at the installation and I saw these two things:
1.PNG

2.PNG

Does this mean this free product is also made to get money selling your personal data?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Thinking about making a swap from Avast to this, but I'm afraid of system instabilities and decreased responsiveness. If it ain't broke don't fix it! But definitely interested to see how it fares in terms of detection and system impact!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I was quickly skimming through the EULA offered at the installation and I saw these two things:
View attachment 160925
View attachment 160926
Does this mean this free product is also made to get money selling your personal data?
Part of this I guess is related to KSN, and We all know almost ALL antivrius call home and send much data of our system... starting by Windows as OS and WD...

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
View attachment 160925
View attachment 160926

Can't really comment on first part, but the second part clearly talks about KSN. It's a component of Kaspersky and as such they have to disclose that it collects data. It's a cloud system, it does the same as everyone else quite frankly.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
so far I don't believe that KFA can beat avast in terms of performance and security
with a few tweaks, avast can perform better and lighter than most AVs out there

I'm using avast with CF. Most of the time, avast shows 0% of CPU and disk usage while with most other AVs, they always use something

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Part of this I guess is related to KSN, and We all know almost ALL antivrius call home and send much data of our system... starting by Windows as OS and WD...

Can't really comment on first part, but the second part clearly talks about KSN. It's a component of Kaspersky and as such they have to disclose that it collects data. It's a cloud system, it does the same as everyone else quite frankly.
I don't mind at all they use the data to improve the product for all customers. Every av company that uses the cloud does this and there is nothing wrong with that. However what I don't like is that they mention this data might be shared (or sold if you want) with third party companies, which in my opinion is not really nice.
In the end you need to thrust the company of course and you can never know what happens to your information, but there are other av companies, who specifically tell in their eula that the data will not leave the company, which is something that is not the case at all with kfa.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

In the first phase, the US and Canada now receive the security tool. The English language version is available on this page. In the second phase (5-7 September), the Middle East, Africa and Turkey will follow. Between October 3 and 8, Kaspersky Free will be launched in many other European countries, including Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

https://www.kaspersky.com/free-anti...B_https://www.kaspersky.com&affmt=2&affmn=132

Kaspersky Free startet: Neuer Gratis-Antivirus-Schutz

With best Regards
Mops21

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The fear from the existing free AV vendors is palpable after this launched.

To be honest, I've never liked any of the free vendors for many years for a variety of reasons. But this is probably the one I will be using. It's got the name. It has the signatures. The performance is amazing and the KAV signature database perfectly compliments my layered security. I could care less about the bloat and features I don't need - I use VoodooShield and Heimdal (and a plethora of gateway appliance security), I don't need my AV to be a bloated suite of doohickeys and doodads..

I bet Kaspersky will double it's market share within a year or so - likely at the expense of Avast, AVG, Avira, etc. My gut says HELL YEAH! about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.