Kaspersky Free 2018 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I see here every computer i see whith avast are infected, its a litle funny. For now is extrange the incompatibliity whith comodo. I really like to use kaspersky. One cuestion to you i want to use KAF, CFW and Heimdal as a antirasom tool (Is Heimdal good for this or not? Should i have to use Kasprsky antirasom?

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Avast is not the joke. The joke are the users that keep infecting the systems with lack of knowledge.

A good number of folks praising the provisions and protection of Avast, understand Avast and know how to use it effectively and carefully in different occasions. It ain't foolproof in anyway just like other AVs. Still it can be adjusted for much higher protection than default, especially with the Hardened mode (though it covers limited filetypes).
Don't tell me Panda IS/Panda AV kept them free from infection against the likes of Avast. If you're talking about the Panda security with Adaptive Defense 360 (since you're talking about Consultancies), that's a totally different thing to bring in in the free AV topic.

I agree with both of you. I've been using Avast IS for about year now and in my experience, Avast with enabled PUP's detection and with Hardened mode (I use Aggressive as well) is quite effective for regular careful users. I have some other things that bother me with Avast (for example: buggy Sandbox, aggressive advertising of their other products...), but this definitively isn't one of them.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
I am wondering what to do .Should I uninstall CCAV (antivirus is disabled) and keep Voodooshield with Kaspersky free ,or keep Webroot with Voodooshield,or keep CCAV(antivirus disabled ) and install Kaspersky with that? :confused:

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
For those who are interested in this and wondering how are the consumptions, scanning process and updating, here you go!

Installed today morning, so far so good. Memory usage is good, it is as below (on a Windows 7 machine, Core i5 x64, 4gigs RAM) :

4 processes named as :
  • avp.exe (Kaspersky Antivirus) which is around 35mb while idle, 80mb (max) while doing some stuff.
  • avpui.exe (Kaspersky Antivirus) which is around 9mb.
  • ksde.exe (Kaspersky Secure Connection) which is around 4mb.
  • ksdeui.exe (Kaspersky Secure Connection) which is around 1mb.
(which makes total memory usage around 49~95mb)

CPU usage is 0 while idle, and surfing/playing games etc. While doing quick scan, CPU went to 10 for avp.exe, 3 (max) for avpui.exe. While doing quick scan, the memory usages are :
  • avp.exe (Kaspersky Antivirus) which is around 150mb (max)
  • avpui.exe (Kaspersky Antivirus) which is around 25mb (max)
  • ksde.exe (Kaspersky Secure Connection) which is around 4mb. (same)
  • ksdeui.exe (Kaspersky Secure Connection) which is around 1mb. (same) [~180mb of memory while scanning]
Quick scan took 3 minutes and 36 seconds on my old but okay system. It says it scanned 3.657 files on a quick scan.

Updates are dealt by software itself, user can select "run mode for database updates" which translates as "set update settings" to [automatically/manually/daily/weekly/after application startup]. It last auto-updated 1 hour before, and I clicked for "Run update", and it did download new signatures (27kb). So basically, we cannot exactly know update intervals but I assume its every hour or 2. And yes, it mostly has new signatures every hour or so. (YAY!)

Software comes with built-in Kaspersky Secure Connection app, which is some kind of VPN. You cannot select specific country (as you might guess) and has 200 megabytes limit by default. Don't know yet if it resets that 200mb every month or so. It did help me to unblock websites, but the strange part is, it showed the virtual connection location to Turkey, which is actually where I live now. That was strange, I was expecting some Netherlands or Germany etc.

For a free and fresh product, it has good amount of protection settings. Actually, I can clearly state that it almost has the same settings screens/options as KIS or KAV.

It did not push or require me to register to their KSN system, my license for 365 days activated when the setup is finished and I was ready to go. I did not create any kind of profiles on it and it did not need me to. (Another YAY!) I can say that it is quite unbloated and yes, so far so good.

You can really consider to have a look at it. Free but solid piece of software.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I see here every computer i see whith avast are infected, its a litle funny. For now is extrange the incompatibliity whith comodo. I really like to use kaspersky. One cuestion to you i want to use KAF, CFW and Heimdal as a antirasom tool (Is Heimdal good for this or not? Should i have to use Kasprsky antirasom?
You don't need Heimdal when you've CFW installed alongside an AV and you've configured auto-sandboxing + proactive security. In case you want added security, use a system-wide DNS like Norton/Comodo/OpenDNS/GoogleDNS.
Kaspersky AR tool will detect known and some unknown ransomware through their KSN cloud. Also, the System Watcher in Kaspersky AR tool will block and roll back any ransomware activity to as much as possible (to get back the affected files). Heimdal is different. It scans traffic patterns and provides a Secure DNS. It will block a RW connecting to its server only if the communication appears to be bad according to known patterns or if the server is in their blacklist (AFAIK). Besides the Traffic Scanning module, even the malware engine built in Heimdal sort of monitors only network communication for any malicious patterns. It doesn't monitor for ransomware activities like Kaspersky does, neither does it rollback encrypted files.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
For those who are interested in this and wondering how are the consumptions, scanning process and updating, here you go!

Installed today morning, so far so good. Memory usage is good, it is as below (on a Windows 7 machine, Core i5 x64, 4gigs RAM) :

4 processes named as :
  • avp.exe (Kaspersky Antivirus) which is around 35mb while idle, 80mb (max) while doing some stuff.
  • avpui.exe (Kaspersky Antivirus) which is around 9mb.
  • ksde.exe (Kaspersky Secure Connection) which is around 4mb.
  • ksdeui.exe (Kaspersky Secure Connection) which is around 1mb.
(which makes total memory usage around 49~95mb)

CPU usage is 0 while idle, and surfing/playing games etc. While doing quick scan, CPU went to 10 for avp.exe, 3 (max) for avpui.exe. While doing quick scan, the memory usages are :
  • avp.exe (Kaspersky Antivirus) which is around 150mb (max)
  • avpui.exe (Kaspersky Antivirus) which is around 25mb (max)
  • ksde.exe (Kaspersky Secure Connection) which is around 4mb. (same)
  • ksdeui.exe (Kaspersky Secure Connection) which is around 1mb. (same)
Quick scan took 3 minutes and 36 seconds on my old but okay system. It says it scanned 3.657 files on a quick scan.

Updates are dealt by software itself, user can select "run mode for database updates" which translates as "set update settings" to [automatically/manually/daily/weekly/after application startup]. It last auto-updated 1 hour before, and I clicked for "Run update", and it did downloaded new signatures (27kb). So basically, we cannot exactly know update intervals but I assume its every hour or 2. And yes, it mostly has new signatures every hour or so. (YAY!)

Software comes with built-in Kaspersky Secure Connection app, which is some kind of VPN. You cannot select specific country (as you might guess) and has 200 megabytes limit by default. Don't know yet if it resets that 200mb every month or so. It did help me to unblock websites, but the strange part is, it showed the virtual connection location to Turkey, which is actually where I live now. That was strange, I was expecting some Netherlands or Germany etc.

For a free and fresh product, it has good amount of protection settings. Actually, I can clearly state that it almost has the same settings screens/options as KIS or KAV.

It did not push or require me to register to their KSN system, my license for 365 days activated when the setup is finished and I was ready to go. I did not create any kind of profiles on it and it did not need me to. (Another YAY!) I can say that it is quite unbloated and yes, so far so good.

You can really consider to have a look at it. Free but solid piece of software.

Thanks.
you can set your country in Secure connection and it's 200mb / day.

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i did not about Sir Trump maybe he likes more Norton :D:D , can't wait to watch your test
i would like to install it too and try it , i live in europe i need to wait or tray to download
i have always wanted a kaspersky free version and fast in real time ,hope they didn't add nags,ads and other cra...s

ok avast , avira ,avg,bitdefender are great antivirus but kaspersky in one of my absolute favorite

Reactions: omidomi

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am wondering what to do .Should I uninstall CCAV (antivirus is disabled) and keep Voodooshield with Kaspersky free ,or keep Webroot with Voodooshield,or keep CCAV(antivirus disabled ) and install Kaspersky with that? :confused:
Get rid of CCAV, and keep Voodooshield. Get rid of Webroot, and install Kaspersky free.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Not really. You can check here

Basic users has automatic virtual location. (kinda sad though)
damn i dont know why i remember setting a country, maybe it's cause the option was there but i didnt use it.
$5/month isnt much tho

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You can't. It asks for subscription. 200mb per day, good!
Note on Kaspersky Secure Connection

It’s important to note, however, that Kaspersky’s service has some limitations. Your KIS licence entitles you to relay a maximum of 200MB of encrypted data per day: that should be plenty for all your sensitive transactions, but it isn’t enough to let you keep the VPN switched on all the time. You’re also limited to routing your traffic through a UK-based server, so you can’t use the VPN to access region-restricted sites. An optional £20-a-year upgrade gains you unlimited data and a choice of exit nodes in 18 different countries. That’s pretty cheap by VPN standards, but it still more than doubles the cost of the overall package. For short-term use, there’s also a £4 monthly option.

The other thing to be aware of is that Secure Connection isn’t operated by Kaspersky itself; it’s a licensed gateway to the popular Hotspot Shield VPN, which is based in the USA. That might sound better than routing your private communications back and forth across the iron curtain, but be warned: there are intelligence-sharing agreements between the UK and the US that could theoretically be used to trace your VPN connection back to you. Dissidents and would-be whistle-blowers might want to seek out a service based in a less cooperative jurisdiction.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 review: The one to beat

Reactions: Kuttz and Sven
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

With this Kaspersky's signatures and cloud are going to get even stronger than they already are with the amount of people that will be using the free version, which will benefit both free and paid users alike.

I respect them for disclosing this very thing.

As a Fortinet Engineer, I can tell you with absolute certainty one of the reasons Forticlient is free is so they can utilize it to improve their threat intelligence, signatures and heuristics. While there are already millions of Fortigate appliances out there, having another 3-4 million Forticlient Free being used out there dramatically increases their threat intelligence. Kaspersky will probably double their deployment numbers from this and can you imagine how much better their threat intel will become? This will really benefit their entire product line including their business offerings.

I've gone ahead and recommended this to friends/relatives that use free AV's. Some are on Forticlient, a few Avira, others Avast and a couple on AVG. I told them all to go ahead and move over to this. :)

PS: I uninstall their VPN when I deploy this.. AirVPN is the better choice IMO for most people, but I have my own VPN at a secured COLO behind a FortigateVPN hub so I don't need either.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Do you prefer Voodooshield's anti-exe approach or Comodo's sandboxing approach? Whichever you prefer, there's your answer.

Reactions: blueblackwow65

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Interesting thing on Kaspersky's part. Love using Avast so I will pass on this one for now. I do have another computer I could use... ;)

Reactions: brambedkar59

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi

Can everyone make a Software review from this please

With best Regards
Mops21

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Lack of BB and System Watcher is a downside, but still these are amazing news form Kaspersky!
Accompanied by some anti-exe and decent firewall this could make a really strong free combo.
This might be my farewell to Avast on my second PC. :cool:

Are you sure, about system watcher not enabled? Could you check?
1. Settings icon
2. Choose protection
3. Look for System Watcher

upload_2017-7-26_20-20-6.png

Reactions: DeepWeb and ZeroDay

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Are you sure, about system watcher not enabled? Could you check?
1. Settings icon
2. Choose protection
3. Look for System Watcher

View attachment 161002
The screenshot you posted is of Kaspersky Antivirus (paid) that includes the System Watcher.
The Free version that is in talk, and that is just launched, doesn't include it:
kaspersky-free-antivirus-global-launch-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.