Kaspersky Free 2018 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth Source

Level 2
Verified
Jul 13, 2015
Hello everyone, Has anyone tested it in conjunction with Comodo Firewall with CruelSister settings? Are they compatible?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I went for Kaspersky free.
The only thing I didn't like about KIS was its potential for conflicting with HitmanPro.Alert.
But with Kaspersky free, no probs.
Kaspersky free + HitmanPro.Alert 3.7 (beta) + Voodooshield = very good protection

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Parsh keeps mentioning people using Heimdal don't need it. However I am unsure some realize Heimdals latest version added VectorN Machine Learning Anti-Malware. I have secured DNS on my Fortigate 100E, however I still use Heimdal Pro because I like the program updating and extra layer of Web Filtration without any speed compromise at all. Fortinet Web Filtration + Zvelo (Untangle) + SafeDNS + Heimdal means about every bad website, redirect or malicious domain should be blocked. Not every filtration catches them all, often I find one or another grabbing bad sites but many times others missing it. Also we don't really know what VectorN does, but for some folks it's catching things. I like Heimdal because it's zero-weight on a system as far as I can tell.

My chosen configuration on endpoints (home) right now is; Kaspersky Free + Heimdal + Voodooshield. Incredibly lightweight and what should be perfect protection.

One question - I've disabled KSN to reduce data leakage, but most people tell me KSN really should be on.. Opinions from Kaspersky fans?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I went for Kaspersky free.
The only thing I didn't like about KIS was its potential for conflicting with HitmanPro.Alert.
But with Kaspersky free, no probs.
Kaspersky free + HitmanPro.Alert 3.7 (beta) + Voodooshield = very good protection
you can disable Anti-exploit in KIS on the System watcher tab.

Parsh keeps mentioning people using Heimdal don't need it. However I am unsure some realize Heimdals latest version added VectorN Machine Learning Anti-Malware. I have secured DNS on my Fortigate 100E, however I still use Heimdal Pro because I like the program updating and extra layer of Web Filtration without any speed compromise at all. Fortinet Web Filtration + Zvelo (Untangle) + SafeDNS + Heimdal means about every bad website, redirect or malicious domain should be blocked. Not every filtration catches them all, often I find one or another grabbing bad sites but many times others missing it. Also we don't really know what VectorN does, but for some folks it's catching things. I like Heimdal because it's zero-weight on a system as far as I can tell.

My chosen configuration on endpoints (home) right now is; Kaspersky Free + Heimdal + Voodooshield. Incredibly lightweight and what should be perfect protection.

One question - I've disabled KSN to reduce data leakage, but most people tell me KSN really should be on.. Opinions from Kaspersky fans?
KSN is a crucial part of Kaspersky, it's their whole cloud infrastructure. its a must on.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016

Please understand the context under which I stated that Heimdal won't be required/not much effective.

One was in case of KF+CFW. With properly set CFW (and an AV), you don't need more complementations. And probably you'll agree that Heimdal Pro does have some visible effect on the connection speed.
Second was the case where the poster compared KART and Heimdal Pro for ransomware protection. Please do not tell me that Heimdal will be a good replacement for KART for a person looking to adopt an effective ransomware protection.

About your config, the layered approach including the additional filtering appliances should be doing great and you know that.
EDIT: we both are evaluating Heimdal's new provisions in our setups and I've no negative opinion on it.. except that its effectiveness isn't clear with inadequate tests and vaguely mentioned working in their official feature details.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I haven't seen any speed loss with Heimdal and I am absolutely anal about speed. I have a 300Mbps/300Mbps connection right now, and previously a 600/600. I constantly monitor pings, timeouts, packetless, error correction and page load timers. I'll have to take a closer look but I haven't seen any 'noticeable' difference with Heimdal so it may come down to a millisecond or two. We do need more data on VectorN rather than fuzzy marketing graphics from them. Hopefully that is forthcoming.

Right now, it seems to work really well with KAF as a secondary layer.

Reactions: enaph

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I haven't seen any speed loss with Heimdal and I am absolutely anal about speed. I have a 300Mbps/300Mbps connection right now, and previously a 600/600. I constantly monitor pings, timeouts, packetless, error correction and page load timers. I'll have to take a closer look but I haven't seen any 'noticeable' difference with Heimdal so it may come down to a millisecond or two. We do need more data on VectorN rather than fuzzy marketing graphics from them. Hopefully that is forthcoming.

Right now, it seems to work really well with KAF as a secondary layer.
when i installed Heimdal on my PC to test, i had ridiculous website loading speed/lag, it was a good 2 seconds before the browser even started to load the site.
got rid of it in that instant. same thing i had with Adguard.

Kai78

Level 1
Jul 26, 2017
Kaspersky Free is better than Avira Panda Avast 360 or Windows Defender=0 ?
I use Eset with keys for 30days Because the best network protection.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Kaspersky Free is better than Avira Panda Avast 360 or Windows Defender=0 ?
I use Eset with keys for 30days Because the best network protection.
Avira free is bottlenecked by devs on porpuse, Panda is pure garbage, 360 BD sigs (?), WD, let's not talk about that.
yes, well Avast free has more modules that help against malware that doesn't have a signature.

Reactions: Fritz
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

when i installed Heimdal on my PC to test, i had ridiculous website loading speed/lag, it was a good 2 seconds before the browser even started to load the site.
got rid of it in that instant. same thing i had with Adguard.

How long ago was this? I only started testing Heimdal 6 weeks ago, but ran it through a full 2 week test cycle at home and here at the lab. We found no issues, incompatibilities or slowdowns with it at all so I purchased licenses and deployed it in the home. In fact i recently just purchased another 4 seat from Stack Social for $20 I like it so much. I'm 100% picky about page load speeds, I'd of noticed if there was any drag. Adguard does give some page load drag. Our lab testing showed in some cases, it doubled page load time. So that went into the trash bin.

I'm wondering if it was an incompatibility with something on your system and Heimdal? I'm not entirely sure how Heimdal works other than it appears to modify system DNS to point to a loopback, then it's running HeimdalDNS process grabs the loopback and accesses their local DNS cache and then their encrypted DNS server. All of that should be instant and discernible.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
You've a super duper network bandwidth. How many home users here will be having a speed like yours or even a quarter of that o_O? I've a Wi-Fi Dongle with 8-16Mbps speed and a 4G mobile network to alternate between.
Also, sometimes it causes connection issues and disabling the strict filtering only helps.
A representative of Heimdal had stated at Wilders that besides DNS provision and malicious connection blocking via such means, it does some intelligent analysis via known patterns (they claim to know the infrastructures of the current hackers and prepare things keeping that in mind) and that was all that person was allowed to reveal (and we know this)!

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
How long ago was this? I only started testing Heimdal 6 weeks ago, but ran it through a full 2 week test cycle at home and here at the lab. We found no issues, incompatibilities or slowdowns with it at all so I purchased licenses and deployed it in the home. In fact i recently just purchased another 4 seat from Stack Social for $20 I like it so much. I'm 100% picky about page load speeds, I'd of noticed if there was any drag. Adguard does give some page load drag. Our lab testing showed in some cases, it doubled page load time. So that went into the trash bin.

I'm wondering if it was an incompatibility with something on your system and Heimdal? I'm not entirely sure how Heimdal works other than it appears to modify system DNS to point to a loopback, then it's running HeimdalDNS process grabs the loopback and accesses their local DNS cache and then their encrypted DNS server. All of that should be instant and discernible.
was when the first 6 months Heimdal free sub was, i still have the sub from that time lol
it was realllllly noticable, not like miniscule, actual slowdown where you sit and wait and wonder wtf is going on, why isnt this loading.

i got over 100mbit download so it wasnt that.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

We found no issues, incompatibilities or slowdowns with it at all so I purchased licenses and deployed it in the home. In fact i recently just purchased another 4 seat from Stack Social for $20 I like it so much.
Now i see where the Heimdal users come from. I will never understand you guys paying for such software, when there are plenty of alternatives around providing the same features for free what Heimdal Pro cash in for. I'd rather buy KIS on discount than Heimdal for 1y/1pc for 34 dollars. I have nothing against Heimdal, just personal opinion that they are over-priced and over-hyped. When you scroll down in the Heimdal PRO - 2nd Generation Anti-Malware Security Software you see the comparison of the features in the Free and Pro version. Novice users reads that they protect against Ransomware and thinks that's what the product really does, such big claims are pure marketing, and the software by itself doesn't protect against ransomware, just scanning web traffic, and if it isn't known and blacklisted by Heimdal? That's right, you're screwed. I think that Heimdal Pro doesn't complement Kaspersky Free in any way, since KAF already has far superior Web protection, I guess you could run Kaspersky Free and Heimdal toegther without any problems, I just don't see the significance of adding Heimdal. For running Kaspersky Free i would just add Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool, since it has System Watcher module, that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
It has security cloud for zero days. Honestly if Kaspersky can't detect it it's even less likely that anything else could.

Reactions: ZeroDay and mekelek
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Now i see where the Heimdal users come from. I will never understand you guys paying for such software, when there are plenty of alternatives around providing the same features for free what Heimdal Pro cash in for. I'd rather buy KIS on discount than Heimdal for 1y/1pc for 34 dollars. I have nothing against Heimdal, just personal opinion that they are over-priced and over-hyped. When you scroll down in the Heimdal PRO - 2nd Generation Anti-Malware Security Software you see the comparison of the features in the Free and Pro version. Novice users reads that they protect against Ransomware and thinks that's what the product really does, such big claims are pure marketing, and the software by itself doesn't protect against ransomware, just scanning web traffic, and if it isn't known and blacklisted by Heimdal? That's right, you're screwed. I think that Heimdal Pro doesn't complement Kaspersky Free in any way, since KAF already has far superior Web protection, I guess you could run Kaspersky Free and Heimdal toegther without any problems, I just don't see the significance of adding Heimdal. For running Kaspersky Free i would just add Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool, since it has System Watcher module, that's it.

I assure you bro, I'm not a novice. If I like a product, it works, it catches stuff and provides additional protection or services I need then I have no issue buying it. Someone has to support companies, not everything in life is free. Also, some of us have a lot coin, and enjoy supporting developers. A lot of folks on a variety of security forums (including here) actually use Heimdal. I really like the silent updating of critical programs too, for that it's worth the price. I have 10 systems and 1 (well, 2 if you count the cold-spare) server to maintain in my home, I need some automation. So maybe a little less judging of others?

Remember, not all blacklists are the same. For example I use Untangle in transparent behind my Fortigate because Untangle uses Zvelo's blacklist and it catches websites Fortinet misses on my Fortigate E series. (BTW the web filtration for ESET, AVG, FireEye, TotalDefense are all using Zvelo - among others) Fortigate catches stuff Zvelo sometimes misses. If it has zero weight and expands the blacklist, then I'm all for it - it increases my odds of successfully blocking one on a very active network and doesn't require any decisions, monitoring or work on my part or by the users. That's assuming we ignore the new VectorN, if that's something cool.. LOL

As you can see on this machine with Heimdal, I'm hitting 350+Mbps on a 300Mbps connection with a 10ms ping and near-zero flutter to the test site that's hundreds of miles away. That's pretty much perfection on an incredibly well layered network+endpoint. That level of perfection wasn't accomplished by a novice. <grin>

test.png

Heimdal pairs up very very nicely with Kaspersky Free, so I will roll with it. Besides, I like the name 'Heimdal'.. :p

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

For example I use Untangle in transparent behind my Fortigate because Untangle uses Zvelo's blacklist and it catches websites Fortinet misses on my Fortigate E series. Fortigate catches stuff Zvelo sometimes misses. If it has zero weight and expands the blacklist, then I'm all for it - it increases my odds of successfully blocking one on a very active network and doesn't require any decisions, monitoring or work on my part or by the users. That's assuming we ignore the new VectorN, if that's something cool.. LOL
Quite complex system, i assume you benefit from Heimdal very well. I wasn't saying you are Novice, i was just talking in general when people read description about Heimdal features on website and happily grab for a wallet when they see something can protect from Ransomware, I hope you get what i meant. It's just about questionable features it packs in the Pro version and are they worth the price. I read up on Introducing VectorN Detection against Second Generation Malware some while ago but couldn't see it work in the VM. I have never experienced myself any impact on website load speeds when using Heimdal, so not throwing any rocks in that garden. I guess everything depends on each individuals system, and for you it's working, so I'm happy to read that. :)

Edit: And the most annoying part about Heimdal is that you cannot make exclusions yourself, that really pisses me off. :D

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Quite complex system, i assume you benefit from Heimdal very well. I wasn't saying you are Novice, i was just talking in general when they read descriptions about Heimdal features on website and happily grab for a wallet when they see something can protect from Ransomware, I hope you get what i meant. It's just about questionable features it has in Pro version and yeah, i read up on Introducing VectorN Detection against Second Generation Malware some while ago but couldn't see it work in the VM. I have never experienced myself any impact on website load speeds when using Heimdal, so not throwing any rocks in that garden. I guess everything depends on each individuals system, and for you it's working, so I'm happy to read that. :)

I agree though, a lot of novice might read that marketing trash and vastly over-estimate Heimdal. For me it's just an adjunct, and my kids and their stupid Java and Flash games really benefit from the auto-updating of those components.

I'd like to dig under the hood of Heimdal more. However - I have had it catch several websites on some systems here that blew threw the other blacklists I use, which was really surprising.. I'm going to start keeping a list of those sites and do some research on them. I'm wondering if Heimdal farms some of the IP/Domains from the darkweb and some hacker forums or whatever. Anyway, I will pay closer attention when it blocks stuff and start submitting those sites to some labs and see what they find. Maybe Heimdal is smoke and mirrors, either way, I like the updating part of it and it was cheap. :)

Thanks for your insight.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

@ForgottenSeer 58943 I don't know why Heimdal triggers me so much :D I guess I do like it a bit in my heart, i just want more from it, just like adding simple exclusion section would do so much. I don't have time always to write them email to unblock particular website/link it blocked when i could have done it on my own.

Heimdal PRO scans your Internet traffic and blocks access to harmful websites which might infect your system with malware.

If the website that you're trying to access is detected as infected or malicious, Heimdal PRO will block your access to it to keep you safe from malware infections, data exfiltration and other cyber threats.

If you consider a particular website to be a safe online location, please contact us at support@heimdalsecurity.com to notify us and we'll get back to you with a solution.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The more I think about this brilliant Kaspersky Free the more I think Eugene is sort of a genius.

This almost feels like he parried the attack by the US Govt. I noticed awhile back - about when Stuxnet was isolated and exposed a slow and steady campaign to discredit him and his product by the mainstream media. This seemed to increase to huge levels last year.. Then this year, the govt. and their little ban on it, all of it seemingly designed to target the bottom line of Kaspersky and de-legitimize it in the USA. Creating 'fear' of the product in the minds of the masses, and corporations. Search for Equation Group and you'll find Kaspersky ratted out NSA spying. I don't know how much NSA could influence GSA purchasing, but it seems like this is a political action.

Eugene parried this with a giant middle finger with the free one. At least that's my perception which could be wrong, it just feels that way. Also potentially putting a product that surely won't whitelist US Intel malware/tools into the hands of possibly hundreds of millions more people.

It all feels brilliant to me and I feel like I want to be a part of the movement.. LOL!

Reactions: ZeroDay
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.