shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I've checked the EULA and it says that renewal is required for further use. They don't go into details of telling what that even means. Does it mean you'll just have to renew a free license after one year or you'll have to renew it by buying a paid version. They simply don't explain that. Same goes for webpage support resources. They don't explain it at all.
Also Avast free has a 1 year licence that is renewable. I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Reactions: MWNu72 and ZeroDay

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I haven't seen any speed loss with Heimdal and I am absolutely anal about speed. I have a 300Mbps/300Mbps connection right now, and previously a 600/600. I constantly monitor pings, timeouts, packetless, error correction and page load timers. I'll have to take a closer look but I haven't seen any 'noticeable' difference with Heimdal so it may come down to a millisecond or two. We do need more data on VectorN rather than fuzzy marketing graphics from them. Hopefully that is forthcoming.

Right now, it seems to work really well with KAF as a secondary layer.
Same here. I do not have any performance issues with Heimdal running in combo with VS and Adguard for windows. I am on 150/150 fiber glass connection but I am not sure if it makes any difference.

Reactions: Trooper and MWNu72

Kai78

Level 1
Jul 26, 2017
The disadvantages of Kaspersky Free Anti-Virus include:
The cloud protection provided by Kaspersky Free differs from the use of knowledge about the reputation of files used in Kaspersky Internet Security, although it is implemented through the use of the same component of Kaspersky Security Network (installed with the user's consent when installing the product):eek:

Reactions: MWNu72

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The cloud protection provided by Kaspersky Free differs from the use of knowledge about the reputation of files used in Kaspersky Internet Security, although it is implemented through the use of the same component of Kaspersky Security Network (installed with the user's consent when installing the product):eek:
Could you explain more about the actual differences? Do you mean that KSN on Kaspersky free uses a different database than KSN on Kaspersky paid versions?

Reactions: ZeroDay and MWNu72

Kai78

Level 1
Jul 26, 2017
Do you mean that KSN on Kaspersky free uses a different database than KSN on Kaspersky paid versions?
Yes.
Knowledge of the reputation of a file in KFA is not used, because there is no "Program Control" with its "Preliminary Analysis of the Program"! It's obvious.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016

Yes.
Knowledge of the reputation of a file in KFA is not used, because there is no "Program Control" with its "Preliminary Analysis of the Program"! It's obvious.
Basically, the power of KSN that was used to classify applications based on trust group in KIS/KTS aint available in KFA, since AppControl is missing.
Yet, the cloud functionality is available from KSN wherein ML based detection of new threat files and possibly the known threats detected by the cloud (through information from Kaspersky installations across the world) but not yet pushed through signature updates will be detected by the File AV in KFA.

Can you look into the Windows Explorer's context menu after Right-clicking a file and see if Application Advisor entry or Check File Reputation entry is present or not?

Kai78

Level 1
Jul 26, 2017
Reactions: MWNu72 and Parsh

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
Wow, didn't expected it so soon

i never expected nothing free from kaspersky.

if I find a way to download it offline

i bet my bottom dollar kaspersky has not done this to compete with the free anti-virus products like A / vast / vg / vira / bitdefender etc.

kaspersky does not give a rat's ass about them.

this could be a move to improve their cloud database thingy ksn namely, by incorporating more users globally.

am pretty sure kaspersky is doing this to whip windows defender in particular. way to go mr. eugene kaspersky.

off topic : has anyone tried out

it even has the windows telemetry thingy in it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just removed KAF! 2 problems that cannot be solved

1) Always fail the phishing page test at AMTSO despite with the correct phishing setting
2) The GUI is not responsive to finger touch although it works with mouse pointer. No issue with other programs and browsers

So KAF has to go!!!!

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
Always fail the phishing page test at AMTSO despite with the correct phishing setting

kfa1.jpg

kfa2.jpg

Prayag

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
Did kaspersky at any point of time said that their free antivirus would be compatible with any other av?
I think I have read that somewhere in the past.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
i never expected nothing free from kaspersky.

i bet my bottom dollar kaspersky has not done this to compete with the free anti-virus products like A / vast / vg / vira / bitdefender etc.

kaspersky does not give a rat's ass about them.

this could be a move to improve their cloud database thingy ksn namely, by incorporating more users globally.

am pretty sure kaspersky is doing this to whip windows defender in particular. way to go mr. eugene kaspersky.

off topic : has anyone tried out

it even has the windows telemetry thingy in it.
thank you very much my friend :)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Is there any video already comparative with other free antivirus? % Of detection etc.
You might want to refer to the everyday results of testing of multiple AVs done at Malware Hub here. Static detections include malware samples detected by AVs simply by signatures and cloud data already available. Dynamic detections include the detections made by the AVs after running the leftover malware samples.

While I do not see any such comparative videos available yet, the following might help you estimate its effectiveness (you can refer to Malware Hub tests for this):
Kaspersky Free (Total Detection) == KTS (samples detected by Static scan) + KTS (files detected by signatures during dynamic test**) + KTS (samples detected by Web AV Detection during a dynamic test)
**this can happen a few times like in case there's a trojan downloader that would download malicious payload or some obfuscated or hidden files in malware samples that can perhaps be detected by the File AV in Kaspersky Free during the dynamic test only after running the sample.

Ofcourse, take results with a grain of salt since no good number of tests (be it video tests or AV Labs) can portray the potential of AVs in real-world, and that also changes with time.
EDIT: Kaspersky Free is being tested now at Malware Hub here.

Last edited:

budda

Level 2
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
for those who want to use kaspersky with comodo firewall

When installing kaspersky antivirus choose install anyway after asking you ro remove comodo firewall
Go to comodo firewall settings
Application rules
Allow TCP or UDP for avpui.exe, avp.exe.
Thats it folks now it wont restrict kaspersky free antivirus.

i am using CFfree+bitdefender free+ kaspersky free No lag at all.
Bitdefender free is also cloud and it doesnt use much memory and kaspersky free too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.