DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
For the AMTSO tests, here

Feature Settings Check for Desktop Solutions » AMTSO

KAF passed ALL except the no. 5 Phishing Page test. I think KAF does not protect against phishing sites.
Interesting. It didn't detect the PUP file for me at all. Everything else it did detect....

It also gets overwhelmed when you throw a lot of malware at once at it for me which kinda worries me that you can simply overwhelm it by flooding malware onto a computer. It would simply forget to scan some of them which is really bad imo.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Interesting. It didn't detect the PUP file for me at all. Everything else it did detect....

It also gets overwhelmed when you throw a lot of malware at once at it for me which kinda worries me that you can simply overwhelm it by flooding malware onto a computer. It would simply forget to scan some of them which is really bad imo.

Sometimes it reacts a bit slow......probably checking its cloud

You mean it detected the no. 5 Phishing Page test as well? Where in KAF can you enable this phishing feature?

Thanks

Reactions: MWNu72

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
You mean it detected the no. 5 Phishing Page test as well? Where in KAF can you enable this phishing feature?

Thanks
Yes. It blocked the phishing page for me. It's under Advanced Settings for Web Antivirus

oTOanu0.png

Gv3pRsp.png

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I found out how to block PUPs. Go to Settings > Additional > Threats and Exclusions > Check "Detect other software that can be used by criminals.."

dXf6q8c.png

PUPs are now being blocked. I can sleep well now. Lesson: Make sure to go through all the settings and configure it the way you want to.:)

gqglnxN.png

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
It is true that Kaspersky will allow some digitally signed PUPs to be installed. However, there is a context menu lookup of file reputation via KSN. A low or very low incidence among Kaspersky users is a red flag. If you don't trust it, then don't install it. It's as simple as that and there is no valid counter argument to that very basic concept.

True, in that case there are stronger solutions against pups, as is the case of Avast, Panda...

I found out how to block PUPs. Go to Settings > Additional > Threats and Exclusions > Check "Detect other software that can be used by criminals.."

dXf6q8c.png

PUPs are now being blocked. I can sleep well now. Lesson: Make sure to go through all the settings and configure it the way you want to.:)

gqglnxN.png

There are pups that still pass because they are "trustworthy" what think is wrong. I have 2 good sites of downloads that are infested with pups is the tribogamer.com and the baixaki.com.br

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

dXf6q8c.png

gqglnxN.png
Thats what I did. So now KAF passed all the AMTSO tests

:D

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have the impression that the AMTSO does not update, Matousec that had good tools, download the translation of this game Alan Wake ( http://tribogamer.com/traducoes/122_traducao-do-alan-wake-para-portugues-do-brasil.html ) and will see pup, it passes by Kaspersky others do not.
Very good point. Yeah... Kaspersky did not detect it at all... ugh. :(

Kaspersky is not that bad against PUPs. The user is expected to perform a file lookup and make a decision. It is not difficult. Stop expecting fully automated solutions.
I just did a file lookup and it gave me nothing.

Very good point. Yeah... Kaspersky did not detect it at all... ugh. :(

I just did a file lookup and it gave me nothing.

Learn how to use KSN lookup. There are undocumented things about KSN lookup. You want to use the one that opens the browser KSN page for a file. Ask @harlan4096 about KSN lookups.

You have to learn how any security soft works by doing and practicing with it. It isn't going to magically do everything you users are expecting it to do.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Alright.... it deleted a scheduled task that downloads my hosts file and I cannot even add it to exceptions. Thank you very much, Kaspersky. Uninstalling.

Reactions: MWNu72 and shmu26

Wordward

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Anyone think that using Kaspersky Free with SecureAPlus, minus the AV, makes sense? It has Application Control and is supposed to offer protection against ransomeware.

Reactions: MWNu72 and shmu26

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I noticed KFA activates with 1 year of protection. What happens after 1 year? How do you get another year?

Is there anything in the EULA about it? I am not sure myself as I have not tried it yet.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i install kaspersky freeaffter comodo firewall and says its are incompatible. ¿Do you think they are really incompatible? for me its a good combo. Now i use kaspersky whith heimdal and no problems ¿What exactly does Kaspersky antirasom?

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I noticed KFA activates with 1 year of protection. What happens after 1 year? How do you get another year?

I've checked the EULA and it says that renewal is required for further use. They don't go into details of telling what that even means. Does it mean you'll just have to renew a free license after one year or you'll have to renew it by buying a paid version. They simply don't explain that. Same goes for webpage support resources. They don't explain it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.