Kaspersky Free 2018 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Lack of BB and System Watcher is a downside, but still these are amazing news form Kaspersky!
Accompanied by some anti-exe and decent firewall this could make a really strong free combo.
This might be my farewell to Avast on my second PC. :cool:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Lack of BB and System Watcher is a downside, but still these are amazing news form Kaspersky!
Accompanied by some anti-exe and decent firewall this could make a really strong free combo.
This might be my farewell to Avast on my second PC. :cool:
Kaspersky Free + VoodooShield + Windows Firewall or CFW sounds really interesting.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i think i come too late to this discusion but i am very kaspersky fan, do you think kaspersky will mantain this free product or think they remove from the market like norton does whith their free av. I have some adds For example i have binisoft windows firewall control, i have adguard, and heimdal, now i am using norton, but what do you think to combine
Kaspersky free av whith comodo firewall and heimdal
or only kaspersky free av whith heimdal
I really dont not think we need a app locker control they only prevent "exe" files but i dont execute "exefiles" indiscriminately, i think UAC, KAF and Heimdal are enough and heimdal are specialiced in rasomware control
For more paranoics KAF, UAC, Heimdal and Comodo.
What do you think?

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
joke:
Man, You guys are surrounded by kruel siztaz! o_O
serious: I have been very aware of Comodo for many years,
but I have never heard about the siztah konfiguration before.
What is it exactly?
Sorry I do not see the video .... to see if any artist can give it to you.

Last edited:

It is true that Kaspersky will allow some digitally signed PUPs to be installed. However, there is a context menu lookup of file reputation via KSN. A low or very low incidence among Kaspersky users is a red flag. If you don't trust it, then don't install it. It's as simple as that and there is no valid counter argument to that very basic concept.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Just for the record, and for a bit of a musing...

You guys do realize that today Kaspersky walked into the "party" and laid the gauntlet down?

at least for PC security-conscious users lol

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
To simplify it?

They called out all Security firms by offering a free version of their amazing product.

At the very least they called out free security firms.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I might be stupid,
but I still do not understand what this means? :confused:

Aye, I'm sorry. I'm using american lingo lol

ummm they are daring everyone to beat them to do better than them.
almost as if its a competition (which it is) that they have already won.

Reactions: MWNu72
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Well this product certainly fits well into my ideal layered solution. The reason is, with Bit Defender scanning my network on Untangle Transparent using anything with the BD engine has limited returns and doesn't offer much in the way of layered defense. Since I now scan all traffic with Fortigate, FortiClient offers limited returns.. With Kaspersky Free, my network looks a bit like this;

Network (Inbound, Outbound, Lan/Wan)
Fortigate E Series Appliance (Fortinet Antivirus, Anti-Botnet, IPS, AppControl, Web Filtration, DNS protection)
FortiSandbox Appliance (APT, Zero Day, Unknown Threat Protection - REAL-TIME on-network Sandbox Evaluation)
Untangle Appliance (Transparent Mode - Bit Defender, ClamAV, Zvelo Web Filtration, SNORT IPS)

Desktops/Laptops
VoodooShield Pro (Always On)
Heimdal Pro (Vectorn Enabled)
Kaspersky Free
Rollback RX

Many other things, such as VLANs/Segregation, Bulldog AP w/WIDS and local DDOS suppression of Rogue WiFi Clients/Devices/MACs. WiFi Digital Fencing. A program that disables network adapters when the machines are sleeping. Fortinet Policies to block WAN traversal for specific internal MAC addresses during X to X hours of the night, etc.. I might have one of the most secured networks in the world to be honest. :eek: Some of the recent additions came after carefully watching/reading folks on this forum - which helped immensely.

Anyway.. I'm experiencing what I would deem virtually zero system impact with this setup including Kaspersky Free. But the level of hoops any attacker would have to broach is pretty substantial in this case and they'd have to factor in a magnificent blended protection system, not even counting the nearly daily rollbacks.. Kaspersky adds an incredibly good layer to all of this - another set of hoops to get through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
But basically then you don't need 3rd party AV.

Basically, Voodooshield has the ability to act like a AV with the virustotal uploader, but its mechanisms are different so it doesn't quite fill that niche for me.

And we must not forget that I'm not the only one anal about this. I could go about on the net with just Voodooshield/ CFW/ AppGuard or whatever and
be reasonably if not perfectly safe.
But I prefer to have a strong signature based first line of defense (AV) to knock down the baddies before they can reach that back-level (Sandbox/anti-exe)

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Though, you might want to "Disable Encrypted connection scanning" (Network settings), for obvious reasons.

Can't seem to find this anywhere in Web Anti-Virus settings. Is it not there?

EDIT:
It's under Settings - Additional - Network.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepWeb

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
the only thing I don't like about it is when a threat is detected on system it notifies you and doesn't auto-remove/quarantine it. and none of the settings i can
find can change it to do so. Is this a kaspersky thing?
In theory, according to the default settings, you should be prompted when a threat is found. That doesn't seem to be happening for me either.

In my opinion it's a good thing, and I actually refuse to use any antivirus which doesn't have the option to prompt me for what action to take every single time something is detected.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Cool. It lacks SystemWatcher which is a shame, but I guess it still has some cloud capability since it does use KSN. I also don't think it's an immediate threat to avast! which does provide Behavior Shield even in Free version. But it's a nice addition for sure.

I'm just not sure what's up with the license for Kaspersky Free. It says I have it for 365 days. What happens when this time runs out? Is Kaspersky only free for 1 year and then it's all over or do they allow extension of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.