Battle Kaspersky Free Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus for Default-Deny Protection?

Compare list
Kaspersky Free Antivirus
Avast Free Antivirus
In-depth Comparison

Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
So guys this setup will be for one of my friends who is just an average Joe. He had his laptop infected with all sorts of malware and god knows what I had to do to restore the laptop. I flashed the BIOS, Secure Erased the HDD using Parted Magic, reset the Router to its defaults and then installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit ver 1809. I need to minimise the attack vectors. So far I've installed SysHardener(applied the tweaks)and OSArmor 1.4.2(just in case some malware manages to revert the changes made by SH). I had installed hard_configurator but it was too much of a hassle for my friend since he is unable to execute his softwares which he is downloading from the web. Maybe I'll try Comodo Firewall but that too I think will be too much for my friend since he is not so geeky. So it comes down to Avast free or Kaspersky Free. I like the System Watcher in KAF but it only jumps into action after any malicious activity is performed. I'm considering Avast just because of the Hardened Mode(Aggressive) since it will prevent any unknown file from executing. So what's your opinion guys? In this scenario which one should I choose? Avast or Kaspersky?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The battle threads are good to see the differences between AVs, but cannot give the answer about which AV will be better protection for someone.
For my child, I would choose Avast free on max settings with Hardened Mode Aggressive.
For me, Kaspersky Cloud free would be a better choice. Generally, the setup based on Kaspersky will have a better security/false_positive ratio (probably one of the best possible).

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Avast in a few days:

child-using-technology-5-year-old-boy-with-a-laptop-computer-HG49X9.jpg

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Ok, I'm just giving answer based on the name of the thread only
"Kaspersky Free Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus for Default-Deny Protection?"

Firstly, Kaspersky free doesn't have a default deny ability. So it's already out of the question.
Then, Avast free has harden mode but the default moderate mode isn't very effective. Aggressive mode will block all unknown exe only but no unknown scripts will be blocked.
So, Kaspersky free doesn't have any default-deny ability and Avast free has semi default-deny ability.
That's it.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020

Firstly, Kaspersky free doesn't have a default deny ability. So it's already out of the question.
Then, Avast free has harden mode but the default moderate mode isn't very effective. Aggressive mode will block all unknown exe only but no unknown scripts will be blocked.
So, Kaspersky free doesn't have any default-deny ability and Avast free has semi default-deny ability.
That's it.
U should answer GAMEOVER! xD

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017

That's it.
yes i think any of the both free solution should be combined with simple anti exe such as Vodooshield or NVT

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
And does it have any non-default deny ability? Also no...

Reactions: DDE_Server

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Ha, ha. The OP request was slightly more complex. :)
He wanted to combine it with SysHardener or OSArmor.
OSArmor can be tweaked as default-deny for scripts, and kind of default-deny in %UserProfile% (custom rules required). So, the thread can be also understood as seeking the AV to work with a kind of default-deny setup introduced by something else.

Unfortunately, there does not exist default-deny for an inexperienced user, without the occasional help from an experienced one. So my guess is, that SysHardener on default settings + Kaspersky Cloud free (or Avast with HM) would be closest to his needs.

Last edited:

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Ha, ha. The OP request was slightly more complex. :)
He wanted to combine it with SysHardener or OSArmor.
OSArmor can be tweaked as default-deny for scripts, and kind of default-deny in %UserProfile% (custom rules required). So, the thread can be also understood as seeking the AV to work with a kind of default-deny setup introduced by something else.

Unfortunately, there does not exist default-deny for an inexperienced user, without the occasional help from an experienced one. So my guess is, that SysHardener on default settings + Kaspersky Cloud free (or Avast with HM) would be closest to his needs.
No way... You've just cracked the case! 😱

No look at the title of the topic... "Kaspersky Free Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus..."...
Back to square one 🤣

1588299894283.jpeg

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
You've just cracked the case! 😱

No look at the title of the topic... "Kaspersky Free Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus..."...
Back to square one 🤣

View attachment 238423
That’s 90% of these comparison threads, due to the variable nature of security needs and providers, but that doesn’t necessitate rudeness.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.