Battle Kaspersky Free Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus for Default-Deny Protection?

Compare list
Kaspersky Free Antivirus
Avast Free Antivirus
In-depth Comparison

Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
So guys this setup will be for one of my friends who is just an average Joe. He had his laptop infected with all sorts of malware and god knows what I had to do to restore the laptop. I flashed the BIOS, Secure Erased the HDD using Parted Magic, reset the Router to its defaults and then installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit ver 1809. I need to minimise the attack vectors. So far I've installed SysHardener(applied the tweaks)and OSArmor 1.4.2(just in case some malware manages to revert the changes made by SH). I had installed hard_configurator but it was too much of a hassle for my friend since he is unable to execute his softwares which he is downloading from the web. Maybe I'll try Comodo Firewall but that too I think will be too much for my friend since he is not so geeky. So it comes down to Avast free or Kaspersky Free. I like the System Watcher in KAF but it only jumps into action after any malicious activity is performed. I'm considering Avast just because of the Hardened Mode(Aggressive) since it will prevent any unknown file from executing. So what's your opinion guys? In this scenario which one should I choose? Avast or Kaspersky?

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
you told me that before and i told you the answer for AV the philosophy should defer ;) ;)

Whichever locks you choose, the thief is always one step ahead. That's what we say in my homeland

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I don't have protection on the web or see it as a problem. anyone can install an extension on the browser, including Avira’s web protection is by extension,

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
When I was a kid, I saw many laptops infested of malware/adware running NOD32, Avast, AVG (when they were an independent company) and Panda Cloud Free
yes whatever solution you have if it is not combine with minimum of user knowledge it will be non useful. (for Example user may install malicious crack giving it highest privilege and disable the real protection of very powerful solution the problem is the user not the fault of protection solution)

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
result = clean, I like to believe in tests as well as in tests, and comparisons, although I think these tests are important too. no antivirus will be perfect.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
but not to give him a key with your choice and you know he may misuse
Now you really believe that if someone wants to get your personal data they can't because you use duck duck or O&O shutup ?? Or you because untick some places on several programs are you secure? I feel secure becase i have all my important data in secure place and not to my pc, i am not rich , i have not company and i am not King or minister.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
yes whatever solution you have if it is not combine with minimum of user knowledge it will be non useful. (for Example user may install malicious crack giving it highest privilege and disable the real protection of very powerful solution the problem is the user not the fault of protection solution)
People in countries with lower income per capita tend to use cracked software and watch YT videos who says: "hey! disable your AV and run the patch.exe as admin"

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
result = clean, I like to believe in tests as well as in tests, and comparisons, although I think these tests are important too. no antivirus will be perfect.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
i am same as you feel safe only with my offline backups but i also need trust the software i use.
if there are not software developed yet for Linux i would shifted to it long time ago. Windows 10 also considered non trusted until it is became opensource but i have to use as with my requirements there is no complete alternative.please consider most high tech share personal data with its government when they need it .
Now you really believe that if someone wants to get your personal data they can't because you use duck duck or O&O shutup ?? Or you because untick some places on several programs are you secure? I feel secure becase i have all my important data in secure place and not to my pc, i am not rich , i have not company and i am not King or minister.

Reactions: stefanos

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
People in countries with lower income per capita tend to use cracked software and watch YT videos who says: "hey! disable your AV and run the patch.exe as admin"
yes i was one of those until i had learned the lesson in hard way.i am depending now on free source and some type of giveaways and discounts for software i am using when i became able to afford some software i purchased them from cheap retailers

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I dont understand this privacy related things. None can be consider safe, hackers if wanna can know all about u, software u use can know all about u. Buy a product dont save u from privacy problem. Is all about ethics and convenience. Is like try to block tsunami with oar

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I dont understand this privacy related things. None can be consider safe, hackers if wanna can know all about u, software u use can know all about u. Buy a product dont save u from privacy problem. Is all about ethics and convenience. Is like try to block tsunami with oar
But you should try at least ;) ;)

Reactions: stefanos

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
If u wanna a safe (no hips, autocontainment, antiexe) combo that here in MT have a nice success in various test go with KSCF with WV. But if u play games with anticheat will be problems with WV.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.