Battle Kaspersky Free Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus for Default-Deny Protection?

Compare list
Kaspersky Free Antivirus
Avast Free Antivirus
In-depth Comparison

Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
So guys this setup will be for one of my friends who is just an average Joe. He had his laptop infected with all sorts of malware and god knows what I had to do to restore the laptop. I flashed the BIOS, Secure Erased the HDD using Parted Magic, reset the Router to its defaults and then installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit ver 1809. I need to minimise the attack vectors. So far I've installed SysHardener(applied the tweaks)and OSArmor 1.4.2(just in case some malware manages to revert the changes made by SH). I had installed hard_configurator but it was too much of a hassle for my friend since he is unable to execute his softwares which he is downloading from the web. Maybe I'll try Comodo Firewall but that too I think will be too much for my friend since he is not so geeky. So it comes down to Avast free or Kaspersky Free. I like the System Watcher in KAF but it only jumps into action after any malicious activity is performed. I'm considering Avast just because of the Hardened Mode(Aggressive) since it will prevent any unknown file from executing. So what's your opinion guys? In this scenario which one should I choose? Avast or Kaspersky?

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Trust me comodo is best vs all. Only way for bypass is be marked as safe by comodo xD
yes if it is well tuned and configured which need experienced user it has a ton of settings to adjust but by default it is appropriate for beginner user

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Avast flagged this just after extracting it on my host, looks like their heuristics are good
Avast also has excellent cloud user base due to it has a lot of users so it is response for outbreaks is good. but after selling the user data they may lose a lot if users especially they another good free such as bitdefender/KSC

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Avast also has excellent cloud user base due to it has a lot of users so it is response for outbreaks is good. but after selling the user data they may lose a lot if users especially they another good free such as bitdefender/KSC
I think of Avast like Gil from the Simpsons

1588278616904.png

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I think not lose not many users. The most they know nothing about personal data. And many like me not care about personal data

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
Not really.
I got tired of infected computers, running avast, updated, regardless of whether it's a free or paid version. is a very weak antivirus that lives up to its name, has security flaws and receives your data. there is no reason to use this garbage. There are many superior free antiviruses, like KSC. BitDefender and Avira.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I think not lose not many users. The most they know nothing about personal data. And many like me not care about personal data
This is differ from person to person or region to region. you may not care but others may . it depend on how important /confidential information you have.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I got tired of infected computers, running avast, updated, regardless of whether it's a free or paid version. is a very weak antivirus that lives up to its name, has security flaws and receives your data. there is no reason to use this garbage. There are many superior free antiviruses, like KSC. BitDefender and Avira.
It's garbage unless you do a minimal install with just the core AV modules

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Not at all... If i should chosen between free solution i am in a nightmare.
1. bitdefender have high ram consumaption.
2. kaspersky is k ( i hate much the delay when start)
3. secureaplus have good whitelist features, but some universal av databases for me are more a malus then a plus
4. sophos is heavy
5. avast have some privacy problems
6. avg same
7. avira was good in signature but now with investicorp should be tested
8. quihoo privacy problems and much popup

Honestly my dream would be an comodo cloud av with comodo lookup instead of valkirie. Easy, no bloat, effective

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
This is differ from person to person or region to region. you may not care but others may . it depend on how important /confidential information you have.
The important /confidential information it is never on a system that goes online. And i tell not care because who can trust. Microsoft? google? FB? Kaspersky? And this i tell everytime. Have smart spies and stupid spies (Avast) :)

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Every AV has its pros and cons.i read in some forums that many people have instability issues and a lot of BSOD using KS and also have performance issue using BD. No solutions is complete.
but in my personal opinion avast may be good AV but shady to some extinct and use dirty methods for income isn't trustful as a company and had a lot of privacy issues
also last time i tried them before long time ago "may be 5 or 6 years" i have face performance issues with them

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
any company must think how to increase their sales.but losing customer trust may need time to rebuild again especially if you are famous and have a lot of them as the impact of lose will be high
That's true but sales come with reputation, reputation come with antivirus capacity (for example signatures), if u wanna good signatures u should increase number of ppls, ppls will supports with reports of fps and malwares, and if u wanna ppls a free version should be welcome

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
Every AV has its pros and cons.i read in some forums that many people have instability issues and a lot of BSOD using KS and also have performance issue using BD. No solutions is complete.
but in my personal opinion avast may be good AV but shady to some extinct and use dirty methods for income isn't trustful as a company and had a lot of privacy issues
also last time i tried them before long time ago "may be 5 or 6 years" i have face performance issues with them
every opinion, for example, I never thought avast was good, I've seen many infected with PC using updated avast, Avast is very bad against puppies and local malware, this is also very important.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
3. secureaplus have good whitelist features, but some universal av databases for me are more a malus then a plus
4. sophos is heavy
6. avg same

Honestly my dream would be an comodo cloud av with comodo lookup instead of valkirie. Easy, no bloat, effective
That is good opinion as it suit your needs and that prove my previous post . choose the most suitable solution for your machine and try to balance between the 3 factor "Protection/usability/performance".
also note AV software is the same as any other software may behave differently on different machines/hardware/OS etc
also delay in startup is not considered cons in my personal opinion XD

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
4. sophos is heavy
6. avg same

I don't know if an invest invest is Chinese, but if Avira is in trouble, therefore, a company should not interfere with Avira. which remains firm as one of the best current mechanisms.

Reactions: bayasdev

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.