Battle Kaspersky Free Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus for Default-Deny Protection?

Compare list
Kaspersky Free Antivirus
Avast Free Antivirus
In-depth Comparison

Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
So guys this setup will be for one of my friends who is just an average Joe. He had his laptop infected with all sorts of malware and god knows what I had to do to restore the laptop. I flashed the BIOS, Secure Erased the HDD using Parted Magic, reset the Router to its defaults and then installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit ver 1809. I need to minimise the attack vectors. So far I've installed SysHardener(applied the tweaks)and OSArmor 1.4.2(just in case some malware manages to revert the changes made by SH). I had installed hard_configurator but it was too much of a hassle for my friend since he is unable to execute his softwares which he is downloading from the web. Maybe I'll try Comodo Firewall but that too I think will be too much for my friend since he is not so geeky. So it comes down to Avast free or Kaspersky Free. I like the System Watcher in KAF but it only jumps into action after any malicious activity is performed. I'm considering Avast just because of the Hardened Mode(Aggressive) since it will prevent any unknown file from executing. So what's your opinion guys? In this scenario which one should I choose? Avast or Kaspersky?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
yep, I'm sure, he was using moderate, aggressive is better. Great video btw...
I am sure that both moderate and aggressive mode can display notifications, because I can see them several times a week on my testing machines (I often use aggressive mode for testing). You probably use the Avast silent mode which does not display notifications and alerts.:)(y)

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I will go further, and yeah still in paid versions, but TAM not only blocks exe files and other executable files, but scripts and dlls, the same goes to the tweak I already mentioned (unknowns app to UnTrusted in AC) :)
yeah.. but that's the problem right there. 💰 💸 💸

I am sure that both moderate and aggressive mode can display notifications, because I can see them several times a week on my testing machines (I often use aggressive mode for testing). You probably use the Avast silent mode which does not display notifications and alerts.:)(y)
Nop, never used silent mode. Game mode also hides everything, when you're using the programs added to it, If for some reason you don't want the rare notification, then your problem is solved with silent mode... I think it's unlikely that you will have a file which Aggressive mode won't find on Avast's cloud database and won't know what to do, considering how huge its user base is.
Using Avast with HM for 5 days, no notifications whatsoever

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Nop, never used silent mode. Game mode also hides everything, when you're using the programs added to it, If for some reason you don't want the rare notification, then your problem is solved with silent mode... I think it's unlikely that you will have a file which Aggressive mode won't find on Avast's cloud database and won't know what to do, considering how huge its user number is.
Using Avast with HM for 5 days, no notifications whatsoever
Believe me, I know Avast very well (for years). I am a developer, so it is not a problem for me to make an application that is blocked by Avast Hardened Mode Aggressive. In fact, any Hard_Configurator executables are blocked by Avast Hardened Mode Aggressive, until I send them to Avast for whitelisting. The silent mode can be chosen while installing Avast, or later via the menu. Normally, Avast always shows a notification when blocking something via Hardened Mode Aggressive. Please do not ask me to send the screenshots, but rather look at your settings carefully.(y)

Edit.
It is also possible that you use the applications that are whitelisted in Avast.
You can check the below program, which is blocked by Avast Hardened Mode (Moderate or Aggressive):

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Believe me, I know Avast very well (for years). I am a developer, so it is not a problem for me to make an application that is blocked by Avast Hardened Mode Aggressive. In fact, any Hard_Configurator executables are blocked by Avast Hardened Mode Aggressive, until I send them to Avast for whitelisting. The silent mode can be chosen while installing Avast, or later via the menu. Normally, Avast always shows a notification when blocking something via Hardened Mode Aggressive. Please do not ask me to send the screenshots, but rather look at your settings carefully.(y)
And i know Avast always shows a notification from HM

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I think notifications for hardened mode are important and make sense, for gaming it doesn't matter because of game mode, if you don't want them ever, use silent mode. There's no reason for much discussion about this topic, it's not an issue. Avast is far from being a notification annoying av. Kaspersky also shows notifications when it blocks something.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I think notifications for hardened mode are important and make sense, for gaming it doesn't matter ebcause of game mode, if you don't want them ever, use silent mode. There's no reason for discussion about this notifications topic, it's not an issue.
It can be an issue when one thinks that his/her child is very well protected by Hardened Mode Aggressive with enabled notifications. That was the only one event when my wife was infected, by simply allowing the PUA to pass by Avast alert. (y)

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
It can be an issue when one thinks that his/her child is very well protected by Hardened Mode Aggressive with enabled notifications. That was the only one event when my wife was infected, by simply allowing the PUA to pass by Avast alert. (y)
Then activate silent mode for her, problem solved .(y) Notifications for HM will only matter if you use unknown programs that aren't in Avast's cloud database/whitelisted. if not, just disable the notifications and leave it alone doing its job.
What matters is that you have the option to use something that makes you really well protected.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Then activate silent mode for her, problem solved .(y) Notifications for HM will only matter if you use unknown programs that aren't in Avast's cloud database/whitelisted. if not, just disable the notifications and leave it alone doing its job.
What matters is that you have the option to use something that makes you really well protected.
You missed my point. I do not say that notifications are good or bad. Simply one has to know what to do and one has to know that by default, the notifications are enabled. Both Kaspersky free and Avast free can be configured for strong protection, except scripting malware.

Last edited:

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I got the point perfectly, that's why I said, if she doesn't know what do, there's the silent mode solution. Kaspersky also shows notifications by default.
Yes they can, but Kaspersky Free doesn't have Application Control, it failed the 0-day ransomware test the other user did, which only Avast with Hardened mode was able to block it and pass the test.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I would highly suggest to use kaspersky on friend pc, specially if is not geek. There is no reason to prefer HM over kaspersky. The chance to get a zero day malware are almost zero for normal/habits so there is not advantages with HM. In other hands kaspersky is realy good in terms of signatures.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I would highly suggest to use kaspersky on friend pc, specially if is not geek. There is no reason to prefer HM over kaspersky. The chance to get a zero day malware are almost zero for normal/habits so there is not advantages with HM. In other hands kaspersky is realy good in terms of signatures.
Agreed. But almost... 😋 Better safe than sorrow, something can take longer to get into the av's databases.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.