Battle Kaspersky Free Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus for Default-Deny Protection?

Compare list
Kaspersky Free Antivirus
Avast Free Antivirus
In-depth Comparison

Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
So guys this setup will be for one of my friends who is just an average Joe. He had his laptop infected with all sorts of malware and god knows what I had to do to restore the laptop. I flashed the BIOS, Secure Erased the HDD using Parted Magic, reset the Router to its defaults and then installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit ver 1809. I need to minimise the attack vectors. So far I've installed SysHardener(applied the tweaks)and OSArmor 1.4.2(just in case some malware manages to revert the changes made by SH). I had installed hard_configurator but it was too much of a hassle for my friend since he is unable to execute his softwares which he is downloading from the web. Maybe I'll try Comodo Firewall but that too I think will be too much for my friend since he is not so geeky. So it comes down to Avast free or Kaspersky Free. I like the System Watcher in KAF but it only jumps into action after any malicious activity is performed. I'm considering Avast just because of the Hardened Mode(Aggressive) since it will prevent any unknown file from executing. So what's your opinion guys? In this scenario which one should I choose? Avast or Kaspersky?

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
every opinion, for example, I never thought avast was good, I've seen many infected with PC using updated avast, Avast is very bad against puppies and local malware, this is also very important.
When I was a kid, I saw many laptops infested of malware/adware running NOD32, Avast, AVG (when they were an independent company) and Panda Cloud Free

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
Every AV has its pros and cons.i read in some forums that many people have instability issues and a lot of BSOD using KS and also have performance issue using BD. No solutions is complete.
but in my personal opinion avast may be good AV but shady to some extinct and use dirty methods for income isn't trustful as a company and had a lot of privacy issues
also last time i tried them before long time ago "may be 5 or 6 years" i have face performance issues with them
yes, every antivirus has pros and cons, only avast has more cons than pro, Sophos is very heavy even though very good signatures, KSC and Bitdefender free are never heavy.

Reactions: Chri.Mi

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
you told me that before and i told you the answer for AV the philosophy should defer ;) ;)
The important /confidential information it is never on a system that goes online. And i tell not care because who can trust. Microsoft? google? FB? Kaspersky? And this i tell everytime. Have smart spies and stupid spies (Avast) :)

Reactions: stefanos

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Not at all... If i should chosen between free solution i am in a nightmare.
1. bitdefender have high ram consumaption.
2. kaspersky is k ( i hate much the delay when start)
3. secureaplus have good whitelist features, but some universal av databases for me are more a malus then a plus
4. sophos is heavy
5. avast have some privacy problems
6. avg same
7. avira was good in signature but now with investicorp should be tested
8. quihoo privacy problems and much popup

Honestly my dream would be an comodo cloud av with comodo lookup instead of valkirie. Easy, no bloat, effective

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I will hope so, the avira is doing very well in independent tests, it is among the best constantly, avira just needs a behavior module to be practically unbeatable.
Have not web protection ( free version) and paid version is very weak. Have not BB. Have good signatures but not like eset Kaspersky. is a very light antivirus with moderate protection

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.