Battle Kaspersky Internet Security vs Emsisoft

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
What do you think about kaspersky vs emsisoft. i like emsisoft for the quick support, and because they check fp very quick, they are very profesional and the product are minimalist and very well organizated. What about kasersky internet security

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Emsisoft since their anti-malware network is quite interesting..i viewed it yesterday
Re-launch of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network
What is this exe file? Is this file safe? Check here
The Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network is an online database that stores information about all types of programs, not only good ones but also bad ones – better known as “Malware”. The database is used by our Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security to perform online lookups of suspicious programs, but may also be freely searched by anyone at www.isthisfilesafe.com.
>200,000 new threats every day
Since its launch 4 years ago, the database has grown to more than 160 million entries, while 200,000 – 300,000 new ones are being added every single day. Collecting data about individual programs has a number of advantages:
  • Speed
    The detection signatures for our Malware scanner are updated every hour. Sounds like a quite safe interval? It isn’t. Each hour our systems notice about 10,000 new threats. However, there is a practical interval limit for publishing software updates because we don’t want you to have massive online traffic just to keep your protection software up to date all day long. That’s why we have developed behavior blocking technology that is able to detect new threats by their behavior rather than by signatures/fingerprints. To improve the detection results of the behavior blocker, each alerted program is looked up online with the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network database that in most cases already has valuable information available to clearly decide whether an alert is legit or not.
    Knowing meta data such as the date of first sighting, countries of origin, reported potentially malicious behaviors and verified source information is very helpful to determine the overall safety state of programs. A complex and dynamically optimized algorithm uses these parameters to calculate a safety rating.
  • Avoiding false alerts
    Example: If a program’s origin can be verified and linked with a software vendor that has a strong reputation in the industry, is more than a year old and has never shown any bad behaviors but starts to get detected by the signature scanner, it is likely a false alert. In these situations our lab is immediately informed and can take proper measures to confirm or remove the affected detection signature.
Browse the database for free
Unless most cloud databases of antivirus vendors, the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network database can be viewed by anyone publicly. You can search specific programs by their filename, company, product, description, or by their MD5 or SHA-1 hashes. With the recent re-launch the website was visually integrated with the Emsisoft website.

Reactions: cyber dude

cyber dude

Level 2
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
I''ve been living in Poland for a couple of years

p.s. I meant to add it, I was brought to Austin (TX) as a toddler and basically spent my whole early childhood there but then life bounced me arround between many places.

Last edited:

cyber dude

Level 2
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Yeah, that's it. Thanks.

I'm in a quandary abit over what to go for, KIS, or Emsi. I don't consider Bitdefender like at all any more because yesterday I downloaded their home scanner online installer or something 9,5 mb but I didn't even run it and it stuck on my system in Program Files and somewhere else too, and every time I booted up so called Bitdeneder Agent started up saying it couldn't connect to whatever it wanted to connet to. And it wasn't showing in the task manager startup section. I had to remove this mf from the registry right away. I don't like pushy and intrusive stuff.

And by the way, It created a task to start up with Windows itself athough I remember distinctly I didn't run it. I only downloaded it and saved it to my desktop.

I had Emsisfot some time ago and I liked it very much. But I gues KIS is more aggressive in prevention, right? Someone mentioned in this thread about KIS settings configuration or something. Where can I find a complete guide of this special configuration so KIS doesn't bloat and slow down my Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit ( OS Build 17134.167) I have 12 RAM and i-7 something. I'm mostly on VPN, actually the only time my ISP is showing in ipconfig is when I start the system:)

Last edited:

cyber dude

Level 2
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
get the cheaper one
both are excellent
Kaspersky gives your a bit more cover with better exploit protection, network attack blocker and better web protection
but it is nowhere near emsisoft against PUPs/adwares
KIS is much much better than emsisoft in terms of signatures against zero-day malwares but when they are no longer zero-day, emsisoft may have better signatures in overall due to its dual-engines and faster scanning speed, too
KIS is heavier than emsisoft especially without any tweaking. After some tweaks, KIS is quite fast and reliable
if you don't have a high-end machine and you play memory-intense games, emsisoft might be a problem because it consumes too much memory and gave me a few BSODs due to out-of-memory condition. Memory optimization didn't help

Where can I find some tips for this "tweaking"?

cyber dude

Level 2
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Kaspersky - when tweaked it is extremely strong.

I need these tweaks:) I m' gonna try KIS out. Today I'm gonna download the trial and see what happens.
I got this Malwarebytes lifetime but I can deactivate it without loosing the license. I've heard MB is not considred to be a stand-alone AV only as an addittion to Windows Defender, which one has to admit has probably improved a bit sine recent Windows Creators Update?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I need these tweaks:) I m' gonna try KIS out. Today I'm gonna download the trial and see what happens.
I got this Malwarebytes lifetime but I can deactivate it without loosing the license. I've heard MB is not considred to be a stand-alone AV only as an addittion to Windows Defender, which one has to admit has probably improved a bit sine recent Windows Creators Update?
here are some tweaks from me and harlan4096
Help Me Decide - Norton Security Standard vs Kaspersky Internet Security

here is my settings reflecting what I actually use. You might need more from it. I disabled a lot of modules to get better performance

here is a tweak from somebody else

cyber dude

Level 2
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
So the verdict is KIS? For now I guess, I'm gonna give it a try. I have to uninstall Malwarebytes first and leave Windows Defender alone but only for a while:) If I don't like it and something is wrong I'll go with Emsisoft.

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

cyber dude

Level 2
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Sure, will do. And in general, I'm hungry for more RAM. I've been toying with the idea for some time to upgarde to custom built laptop with Core i7-8700K, Coffee Lake and 64 GB RAM. It;s not that expensive to popular belief. Thanks again for tips and stuff, bailing out for now

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Oh my, it's a bit too complicated for my small brain:)

Looks like this russian bear is very very agressive, haha
IMHO the most important Kaspersky tweak is a no-brainer. Just untick "Trust digitally signed applications." It's in Application Control Settings.
That's all you really need to do.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.