Hot Take Kaspersky Security Cloud Free 2019 - Tweaks

L

Local Host

Why then do I get a warning from Kaspersky Free (in my case) that not all components will work on Windows 10, after an upgrade to version 1903?
Never had such a warning on 1809.
Make sure you're on patch E, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 19 release notes
  • We have added full support of the 19H1 update. This means that you will have no issues with our anti-virus after your system updates.
As you can see was released a month ago, they more than ready (and yes, patch E is available for KFA).

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Make sure you're on patch E, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 19 release notes
  • We have added full support of the 19H1 update. This means that you will have no issues with our anti-virus after your system updates.
As you can see was released a month ago, they more than ready (and yes, patch E is available for KFA).
Strange because I had E patch.
Maybe the upgrade messed things up and I should have uninstalled KFA before the upgrade and reinstall afterwards?

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I rid myself of KSC. Never again. And never Kaspersky.

Two evenings ago I noticed a drop in responsiveness on my laptop. A quick investigation showed that KSC has maxed out my wi-fi bandwidth, uploading who knows what to who knows where.

I watched for 5 minutes while the upload activity continued at full bandwidth. Instinctively I disabled KSC, but that had no effect on the transfer, so I went to "airplane mode".

KSC never asked my permission to upload, and given the bandwidth usage, this must have been a sizeable transfer.

I'm now back to WD (VS still present) after uninstalling KSC and manually removing file and registry debris it left behind, as well as a Kaspersky file tucked away on each partition under System Volume Information.

Enough is enough. I don't care how effective Kaspersky products are at defeating malware when they act in this unfortunate manner.

For those using KSC, my tweak is... use KSC's uninstaller, augmented by Revo Uninstaller, Everything, Registrar Registry Manager, and some manual cleanup. Peace. Out.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I rid myself of KSC. Never again. And never Kaspersky.

Two evenings ago I noticed a drop in responsiveness on my laptop. A quick investigation showed that KSC has maxed out my wi-fi bandwidth, uploading who knows what to who knows where.

I watched for 5 minutes while the upload activity continued at full bandwidth. Instinctively I disabled KSC, but that had no effect on the transfer, so I went to "airplane mode".

KSC never asked my permission to upload, and given the bandwidth usage, this must have been a sizeable transfer.

I'm now back to WD (VS still present) after uninstalling KSC and manually removing file and registry debris it left behind, as well as a Kaspersky file tucked away on each partition under System Volume Information.

Enough is enough. I don't care how effective Kaspersky products are at defeating malware when they act in this unfortunate manner.

For those using KSC, my tweak is... use KSC's uninstaller, augmented by Revo Uninstaller, Everything, Registrar Registry Manager, and some manual cleanup. Peace. Out.

Kaspersky was sending your cats photos to the comrandes in the Kremlim.

On a serious note, did you had KSN enabled? If positive, it actually asked your opinion to upload some bytes there.

You know that Kaspersky uses a transparent proxy to do traffic inspection right? So how do you exactly know that Kaspersky was maliciously uploading data? Did you used WireShark or something similar to collect logs?

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
My cats are very private persons :emoji_disappointed:

On a serious note, did you had KSN enabled? If positive, it actually asked your opinion to upload some bytes there.
That's likely... but "some bytes" wasn't the issue. This was at least a gig (and I stopped it there), and likely a single file (or zip) as the bandwidth was steady. There's no cause for that.

You know that Kaspersky uses a transparent proxy to do traffic inspection right? So how do you exactly know that Kaspersky was maliciously uploading data? Did you used WireShark or something similar to collect logs?
I wasn't doing much apart from bouncing around a few forums I frequent, but slow page loads were a clue. Generally when that happens one of my backups has kicked in... but this time the primary network load was coming from KSC (per Task Manager). Was it "malicious"? Well... it's common sense they don't need a gig of stuff for any reason. So yes. This was abusive. I didn't need to find the root cause, as this behavior is unacceptable. Kaspersky has been removed from all household machines. WD/VS is probably sufficient for my use.

L

Local Host

That's likely... but "some bytes" wasn't the issue. This was at least a gig (and I stopped it there), and likely a single file (or zip) as the bandwidth was steady. There's no cause for that.

I wasn't doing much apart from bouncing around a few forums I frequent, but slow page loads were a clue. Generally when that happens one of my backups has kicked in... but this time the primary network load was coming from KSC (per Task Manager). Was it "malicious"? Well... it's common sense they don't need a gig of stuff for any reason. So yes. This was abusive. I didn't need to find the root cause, as this behavior is unacceptable. Kaspersky has been removed from all household machines. WD/VS is probably sufficient for my use.
The Windows Task Manager is hardly detailed and accurate... You're free to use whatever you want though, I'll keep recommending Kaspersky until I see any evidence for myself or from professionals (with wireshark at minimum).

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Are you using Windows 7?

Kaspersky works in the proxy-server mode, so the network traffic passes in its processes but it doesnt mean that Kaspersky is the origin of the network load.

In Windows 7 you may see the traffic origining from Kaspersky if you look at Task Manager because of the proxy, but this behavior doesnt happen in Windows 10 for example, so if you are not using Windows 7 this is strange. (1 Gb of data)

Ps: I may be wrong here, I dont use Windows 7 with Kaspersky since 2012 and they could have made some changes in how the proxy works.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017

Which OS do you use??

Reactions: oldschool

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yesterday my KSC free 2019 deactivated itself, a few days after initial installation, and sent me to MyKaspersky, where the only option was a paid subscription. Did this happen to anyone else?
A couple days before, I enabled the free 30 day trial, and then I chickened out and ran a system image restore, to get back to the free version. That worked, until last night...

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
Hi guys, responding to some users that asked me by pm about KSCloud Free 2019 tweaks, here You are my tweaks I have in my laptop.

Those settings not addressed in these tweaks are in default.

@harlan4096 can you reupload, i can't open the SS

Reactions: Nevi

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
Wow tell me they don't know your every move.
Don't be a hipocryte. Your ISP monitor your online traffic, your bank knows where you live, how much you spend on food and where you buy condoms. Companies and government know more about you than yourself, and you worry about some security software following you in return to try to better protect you online from your own stupidity/mistakes? Give me a break.. :cautious: This is 2019 and tech is merging with humanity, 40 years ago kids were playing with a bricks in garden. I don't like neither in which direction evolution (degradation) is going, but I just accept it as a fact knowing all this is out of control.. there is no more privacy.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Don't be a hipocryte. Your ISP monitor your online traffic, your bank knows where you live, how much you spend on food and where you buy condoms. Companies and government know more about you than yourself, and you worry about some security software following you in return to try to better protect you online from your own stupidity/mistakes? Give me a break.. :cautious: This is 2019 and tech is merging with humanity, 40 years ago kids were playing with a bricks in garden. I don't like neither in which direction evolution (degradation) is going, but I just accept it as a fact knowing all this is out of control.. there is no more privacy.
There is a point you are wrong on.

I don't buy condoms & I never have, that's why I have an absolute minimum of 4 children!

:):):):)

Last edited:

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
What is the link to download Kaspersky Security Cloud?And what are the differences between KIS and KSC?

Last edited by a moderator:

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

About the differences, I think this question has been discussed/responded many times in the forum :giggle:

KASPERSKY COMPARATIVE PRODUCTS.jpg
Apart from that main features, KSC has some additional features as Wi-Fi Inspector, other extra security features related to password, check the link above for more info...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.