Hot Take Kaspersky Security Cloud Free 2019 - Tweaks

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
In general, and depending on the country region, Kaspersky Free products usually don't send advertising...

There are some settings You may disable in Notifications settings:

1575705662885.png
Those settings are even in paid versions...

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
kaspersky security cloud offers a maximum security setting whats the difference in this vs the maximum security setting they offer in the GUI?

Reactions: oldschool

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I've been seeing popups for installing the password manager, adding new features by upgrading, etc., even with all boxes in notifications unchecked. I can't close the boxes unless I click on the "learn" button first.

Since several of the machines I maintain are used by novices, I've to go back to Bitdefender Free, which feels heavy but not as heavy as Windows Defender.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
I've been seeing popups for installing the password manager, adding new features by upgrading, etc., even with all boxes in notifications unchecked. I can't close the boxes unless I click on the "learn" button first.

Since several of the machines I maintain are used by novices, I've to go back to Bitdefender Free, which feels heavy but not as heavy as Windows Defender.
That’s very strange I have not experienced this although I’m in the US maybe it differs????

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
@harlan4096 , I have a question, sir.

I'm using the paid version of KSC and I'm a bit sick of the number of alerts Application Control throws up.

Anytime I install anything, I'll end up having to click through 5-20 separate warnings regarding changes being made to this or that.

Not being knowledgable enough to know what every alert is referring to, or bothered enough to Google each one as I'm installing reputable software from reputable sources, I'm left asking what's the point?

If I'm just going click through what are at times a ridiculous number of alerts, I think I'm going to switch off the module.

My question is therefore - what use is Application Control to a regular user like me? Does it do anything else except spew out warnings?

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
That is not a common behaviour... which version of KSC? did You apply tweaks? which ones? TAM enabled?

Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your reply.

KSC 20.0.14 1085(J)
TAM not enabled

As for tweaks, I think I followed Roboman's guide.

I've got Application Control set to trust digitally signed applications and select trust group automatically for unknown applications

But it's crazy - any time I install something (and often when I uninstall too), I'll get alert after alert that I have to click through and no obvious option to just allow all the processes (I wouldn't mind if it was just one click per new application).

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your reply.

KSC 20.0.14 1085(J)
TAM not enabled

As for tweaks, I think I followed Roboman's guide.

I've got Application Control set to trust digitally signed applications and select trust group automatically for unknown applications

But it's crazy - any time I install something (and often when I uninstall too), I'll get alert after alert that I have to click through and no obvious option to just allow all the processes (I wouldn't mind if it was just one click per new application).
Did you disable automatic mode?

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
For a common regular users I would go to:

* In General:

Perform Recommend actions automatically -> enabled

* In Application Control:

Trust Digitally Signed Applications -> enabled
Load rules for Applications from KSN -> enabled
Change trust group for unknown applications -> Untrusted
Change trust group for applications started before startup Kaspersky -> Untrusted

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.