Advice Request Kaspersky Security Cloud Free

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have WD + ConfigureDefender (set to the highest setting).

So which is stronger? My WD + ConfigureDefender or Kaspersky Security Cloud Free

Can Kaspersky Security Cloud Free be used in the asian countries?

Thanks

So which is stronger? My WD + ConfigureDefender or Kaspersky Security Cloud Free

Can Kaspersky Security Cloud Free be used in the asian countries?

Thanks

Probably Kaspersky, but in practice why would the 0.5 % difference between Kaspersky and Windows Defender detections even matter ?

Kaspersky is going to also have a lower rate of false positives, but in practice why is that even going to matter ?

No mainland Communist China or Hong Kong installs of the VPN:

From Kaspersky Cloud AV website...

"Owing to legal restrictions on the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN), Kaspersky Secure Connection cannot be installed in Belarus, China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar and Hong Kong. "

I couldn't find any restrictions otherwise regarding cloud AV itself.

Did you even bother to look before asking ? LOL

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Probably Kaspersky, but in practice why would the 0.5 % difference between Kaspersky and Windows Defender detections even matter ?

Kaspersky is going to also have a lower rate of false positives, but in practice why is that even going to matter ?

No mainland Communist China or Hong Kong installs of the VPN:

From Kaspersky Cloud AV website...

"Owing to legal restrictions on the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN), Kaspersky Secure Connection cannot be installed in Belarus, China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar and Hong Kong. "

I couldn't find any restrictions otherwise regarding cloud AV itself.

Did you even bother to look before asking ? LOL
Ok, so I see that it can be used in my country

Thanks

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Rumours say an upcoming Patch D to fix it... but there is no patch now in public beta testing...
We will wait and see... haven't heard back from Kaspersky Lab Technical Support yet.
My case with them is in a pending status for now.
Temporary solution to turn off TLS 1.3 in Chrome works at the moment.
And Chrome 70 will be released soon and may or may not already have resolved the issue.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi and what about the firewall bug on windows april update ¿We stay whith this bug ?Kaspersky will solve it?

Reactions: Kuttz

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Thanks
The answer is not easy. If the user can respect SmartScreen alerts, then Windows Defender can probably provide a better protection than KFA.
Discuss - Do we actually need so many security programs?
KFA on max settings has a similar detection as Kaspersky Security Cloud Free, and both do not have anti-script modules. The anti-script protection is not great, as compared to WD ASR rules.

When using WD +ASR rules, the user can download the malicious 0-day executables via Web Browser (MOTW added to file) but they will be stopped by SmartScreen. If the user is going to download malicious 0-day scripts, they can be mostly stopped by WD ASR.

When using KFA the user can download malicious 0-day scripts and many of them will not be stopped by KFA. The scripts will download executable 0-day payloads without MOTW, so the payloads will be ignored by SmartScreen.
Conclusion - when using KFA the user cannot use the full protection of SmartScreen, as compared to Windows Defender.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi Andy,

What free security software do you think has a very solid anti-script protection?
I do not know, because I tested only KFA and Sophos, so far. Comodo Firewall in @cruelsister settings can contain scripts and payloads, if script interpreters are set to unsafe. Yet, even when interpreters are set to trusted, the situation is far better as compared to other AVs, because in most cases the 0-day executable payload (EXE, DLL, ...) will be sandboxed (except some digitally signed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.