Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
No issues here, exported the config to my Desktop (W11):

1705743050037.png

F

ForgottenSeer 93475

We are in 2024 and Kaspersky still places the number 21.x.x.x....!!!
for the releases Any program will provide a single installer to update the program for everyone and not an intermittent release of the same install!
Kaspersky needs to modify this policy just as "Eugene Kaspersky" modified his image on the main site :)

firefox_uuXhlO25fS.png

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
Also, to which folder did you tried to export? Maybe not enough system rights 🤔
I've tried multiple folders. None of them working. And I have full admin rights. So the problem is elsewhere. However, the reinstallation didn't fix the issue. It fixes some other issues like blocking the MS Store from loading and blocking Java Internal Updater to check for updates (despite the fact no other applications had issue with the internet access) but exporting the settings wasn't fixed at all. I am wondering if this is only limited to the free version or on my system only. But importing the settings and restoring the settings to default is working as it should. Very weird. I may be back to 21.15 for now.

Yep, 21.15 fixed all my issues. Probably because the installer is for Kaspersky Standard and for Free is not yet available. I used the Standard installer before to update the free version, but this time it seems it's rejecting the Free license for some reason. Probably will modify the UpdateTarget value to 200 and will wait to update by itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
I think that you are right. But before, I was always able to use the Standard installer and to install it over the previous Free version.
Now it simply rejects the key found. I don't know if it is because I used the English version and not the Bulgarian one. Didn't try with the Bulgarian installer yet.

The things I observed so far:

*So in 21.16 only 1 device can be protected (3 devices in Kaspersky Free 21.15). Maybe because It rejected the Free key and I had to use a public free key from their support forum.

Or probably because they changed something there. I saw this in your changelog link:

"Now you can increase the number of devices that can be protected with your subscription. Not all users have access to this option." So this is probably relared somehow.

*The dump writing and dump and trace files protection were enabled (like in the beta) at least for me. But the installer reset my settings to default, so maybe that's why. I have no clue.
*The export doesn't work (at least for me in the free version). It is working fine in 21.15.
*I had problems with MS Store and Java Internal Updater (fixed with a clean install).
*They moved the option to ask the user for actions from PC performance optimization to Exclusions and actions on object detection.

If I don't care about exporting the settings or that only 1 device is protected, everything else is working as expecting, so I will keep it that way for now.
Btw, the built-in uninstaller and kavremover didn't delete the old network driver. I had to use Driver Store Explorer (as I mentioned this before in that topic):

But a lot of users have problems with that version in our forum (The export is not working for 3 of them). Probably they are limited to the free version only. Will keep the 21.15 installer for now, just in case. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: simmerskool

micasayyo

Level 3
Jan 31, 2022
I see that the installer of this new version installs the standard version and after restarting, depending on the license you have, it installs the plus version as in my case. Wouldn't it be better to have one installer for the standard version and another installer for the plus version?:rolleyes:

Reactions: nicos181987

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
I've noticed something strange. I am using an old tool for saving and editing Canned Speeches - The Cannery, and never had any problems with it so far.

The previous version of KF 21.15 didn't interact with it in any ways, but 21.16 made it unusable until I added it to the exclusions. No warnings, no pop-ups, no detections just blocked it from running properly or if running making it read-only etc. Very weird.

The only way to run it without adding it to the exclusions was to make changes to the file antivirus and change the scan mode from smart mode (or on access and modification, which mode I am currently using) to on execution. But this is lowering the protection. Also, adding to the exceptions wasn't enough. I had to add it to the trusted applications as well, with the first 5 checkboxes enabled to make it work properly.

The Cannery is way outdated, so this is probably expected behavior, but probably Kaspersky have made changes to the file antivirus components in 21.16.

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I've noticed something strange. I am using an old tool for saving and editing Canned Speeches - The Cannery, and never had any problems with it so far.

The previous version of KF 21.15 didn't interact with it in any ways, but 21.16 made it unusable until I added it to the exclusions. No warnings, no pop-ups, no detections just blocked it from running properly or if running making it read-only etc. Very weird.

The only way to run it without adding it to the exclusions was to make changes to the file antivirus and change the scan mode from smart mode (or on access and modification, which mode I am currently using) to on execution. But this is lowering the protection. Also, adding to the exceptions wasn't enough. I had to add it to the trusted applications as well, with the first 5 checkboxes enabled to make it work properly.

The Cannery is way outdated, so this is probably expected behavior, but probably Kaspersky have made changes to the file antivirus components in 21.16.
Unfortunately, 21.16 did not go well. I read in several places that there are problems with it. Somehow Kaspersky's quality assurance still does not want to work. In my opinion, the strongest program in protection is Kaspersky, but also the most buggy. It would be damn good if they would finally make a really lightweight product that works normally! For me, Call Of Duty games have been Low Restricted for years. Of course, the game doesn't work well in this case. Then I manually switch it to Trusted and it works fine. By the way, what annoys me the most is that they've done away with plain Antivirus. Instead they got Free Antivirus which is the same but its still not. Damn it wants to watch commercials.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm working without issues with K. Premium 21.16 + W11Pro, but I don't play games...

Then I manually switch it to Restricted and it works fine.

Maybe did You mean moved manually to Trusted, because High Restricted is even stronger blocking than Low Restricted (both in default settings, of course)...

Reactions: Berny

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I'm working without issues with K. Premium 21.16 + W11Pro, but I don't play games...

Maybe did You mean moved manually to Trusted, because High Restricted is even stronger blocking than Low Restricted (both in default settings, of course)...
You're right, I misspelled it. I corrected it.
But it's really weird to put a popular game that is used by hundreds of millions of people into the Low Restricted stock. Why? And then the game doesn't even work normally.

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
That usually happens when some of the file of the Game probably is not properly digitally signed or some certificate file is Trusted But Not Approved status, and / or unknown file in KSN with not much or enough reputation...

Reactions: Berny and Szellem

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
That usually happens when some of the file of the Game probably is not properly digitally signed or some certificate file is Trusted But Not Approved status, and / or unknown file in KSN with not much or enough reputation...
I understand this, and it is clear to me! But it is not true that a COD does not have them. It is not a rare game. This is just plain bullshit on Kaspersky's part.

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Can You post the file was moved to some Restriction group? And its data in KSN via Intrusion Prevention -> Manage Applications module, example:

1706524400973.png

Reactions: Berny

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Can You post the file was moved to some Restriction group? And its data in KSN via Intrusion Prevention -> Manage Applications module, example:

View attachment 281238
Well, I uninstalled Standard, then cleaned the system with kavremover! Reinstalled 21.16.
Here is the result. It also restricts my own files and Call of Duty. This is not normal operation:

Attachments

• Képernyőkép 2024-01-29 121358.png
    Képernyőkép 2024-01-29 121358.png
    53 KB · Views: 43
  • Képernyőkép 2024-01-29 121623.png
    Képernyőkép 2024-01-29 121623.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 43

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.