Solved Laptop blue screens then crash dumps randomly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainsone

Thread author
Apr 22, 2013
Hi, recently my laptop displays a blue screen then does a 'crash dump' then restarts the laptop? it seems to do it after about 30 mins after turning on then keeps doing the same sequence, shutdown, bootup etc can anyone help?

Thanks

Diurpaneus

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Restart your laptop an then press F8 ,it will apear a new menu ,search for last good known configuration an select that.
If problem persist then repeat the step with F8 and in that meniu search for automatic restart when windows failure( something like that) and select that,
After that your laptop will keep the page with BSOD information and will not restart in seconds and you be able to see the more detalied information about the failure id ,name of the software who create problem,etc
Sorry for my english.

Upvote 0

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Have you recently installed a program that could be causing it?

Upvote 0

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Did you change hardware? Like memory? or did you change the BIOS settings?
Because the problem you are describing leads me to believe that either:

1: You either changed hardware.
2: You either changed the BIOS settings.
3: Your volume shadow copy got corrupted. (Which can be caused by multiple things)
4: Your windows boot loader got damaged. (which also can be caused by a million things.)

Obviously this is a wild guess as you did not provide hard data so thats why i am asking.
If you got any means of providing more info then please do so.
And if the options above such as save mode fail then you might wanna consider trying to access your hard drive using a second computer so you can at least see the internal logs and you also could scan it for malware using your second system.

Anyway try to get as much info as you can and if you get any errors displayed then please post them here in the forum so we can try to figure out whats causing this and more importantly how to fix it. (If fixable)

Cheers

Reactions: hannah
Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Another thing that can cause this is over heating.
Make sure the air vents are not blocked and the cooling fan is working.

Set your laptop on a hard smooth surface to avoid blocking the vents.
Use some can air to blow out the vents, don't set your laptop directly in your lap or on a pillow because this can block air flow and cause over heating.

Enjoy!!:D

Upvote 0

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Littlebits said:

Use some can air to blow out the vents, don't set your laptop directly in your lap or on a pillow because this can block air flow and cause over heating.

Actually would his computer not sound a few bleeps if that would be the case? as my pc's and laptops will make a bleeping sound if its overheating, or if the fan is not working.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Use BlueScreenView tool to detect the cause of a trouble.

It may caused by a software or a hardware caused that's the main cause when BSOD occurred.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
n.nvt said:
Littlebits said:

Actually would his computer not sound a few bleeps if that would be the case? as my pc's and laptops will make a bleeping sound if its overheating, or if the fan is not working.

It all depends on how they are configured. Some settings in the BIOS and OEM versions at default will just cause the system to reboot without any beeps or notifications.

My Acer laptop is configure by default to reboot if it over heats, of coarse I had to change that setting in the BIOS. I rather know what caused the problem. There are no options to set a system beep, therefore I don't believe it would make a sound. I'm not sure since it has never over heated before. I'm not even sure that it has a motherboard speaker since it makes no sound when starting up in Safe Mode or entering the BIOS settings with my volume turned all the way up. Some laptops don't come with a speaker in their motherboard and if you have your volume turned down you might not hear any beeps. Most of the PC that I have worked with always make a system beep when you enter Safe Mode and have a motherboard speaker.

One of my friends just bought a new eMachines desktop and it did not have a motherboard speaker. Some of the newer systems, motherboards and laptops just no longer have motherboard speakers. I think this is really crazy since some users don't have external speakers therefore will not receive any system beeps when something goes wrong. I recently built a new system with an ASUS motherboard and guess what no motherboard speaker and no way to connect one because it had no plug connector.

Thanks.:D

Upvote 0

mainsone

Thread author
Apr 22, 2013
Hi, thanks everyone for your replies! Have been away so taking me a while to read posts :)

its only started doing this last 3-4 days never before (laptops 3 years old) the only thing I have changed in the last week or so was deleting an entry through regedit called 'upper filters' as comp would not see cd drive for some reason and after deleting this file seemed to solve the issue of that not working (looked up through google) Maybe that is causing an issue? I took a photo of the blue screen that is showed for about 10 seconds before it restarts but not sure how to upload as its 2.5mb in size?

Thanks everyone for your help

n.nvt said:

3: Your volume shadow copy got corrupted. (Which can be caused by multiple things)
4: Your windows boot loader got damaged. (which also can be caused by a million things.)

Obviously this is a wild guess as you did not provide hard data so thats why i am asking.
And if the options above such as save mode fail then you might wanna consider trying to access your hard drive using a second computer so you can at least see the internal logs and you also could scan it for malware using your second system.

Anyway try to get as much info as you can and if you get any errors displayed then please post them here in the forum so we can try to figure out whats causing this and more importantly how to fix it. (If fixable)

Cheers

Upvote 0

mainsone

Thread author
Apr 22, 2013
Hi, have run those 3 programs and have added screenshots and a couple txt logs from them. I have also added screenshot I took if that's of any help? looks like its pointing to the same program according to the program results

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/9608/img1445kx.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img594/1099/bluescreenview.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img9/187/whocrashedl.jpg

mainsone

Attachments

• wincrashreport1.txt
    404.6 KB · Views: 1,214
  • bluescreenview 1.txt
    2 KB · Views: 1,053
Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
What are you doing on your PC when it crashes?
What programs are currently running when it crashes?

According to the logs on BlueScreenView, mfehidk.sys (McAfee VirusScan) is responsible for the crash. iTunes is also having issues but I don't think it caused the system to crash, it was just the program that crashed.

Might try uninstalling McAfee and then use the Removal Tool reboot and see if you have any other crashes, if not that was the problem. Wait before installing another antivirus until you know the crash problem is solved, just don't download any files until you have an antivirus installed. After a long enough period of time with no crashes you may select a different antivirus and install it. Go directly to the vendors website to download your new antivirus.

If so then it is back to the drawing board.

Upvote 0

mainsone

Thread author
Apr 22, 2013
Normally just I.E or when sitting on side idle nothing too intense. The normal mcafee and windows live security program etc i may uninstall mcafee and reinstall as have had problems with it before crashing and not running properly and see where that gets me! Thanks again!

Littlebits said:
What are you doing on your PC when it crashes?
What programs are currently running when it crashes?

According to the logs on BlueScreenView, mfehidk.sys (McAfee VirusScan) is responsible for the crash. iTunes is also having issues but I don't think it caused the system to crash, it was just the program that crashed.

Might try uninstalling McAfee and then use the Removal Tool reboot and see if you have any other crashes, if not that was the problem. Wait before installing another antivirus until you know the crash problem is solved, just don't download any files until you have an antivirus installed. After a long enough period of time with no crashes you may select a different antivirus and install it. Go directly to the vendors website to download your new antivirus.

If so then it is back to the drawing board.

Upvote 0

Imran

Level 1
Feb 27, 2012
Normally just I.E or when sitting on side idle nothing too intense. The normal mcafee and windows live security program etc i may uninstall mcafee and reinstall as have had problems with it before crashing and not running properly and see where that gets me! Thanks again!

After uninstalling Mcafee, wait for at least a day before reinstalling Mcafee ;)

Upvote 0

hannah

Apr 18, 2015

Cheers
Does this have any affect in cpu or board?? Is it still possible to fix?? If so, how??
I have hp laptop here.. It happens before I reformat to a repair shop.. Before it is 64bit but after it was reformat it became 32 bit.. Then the blue screen happen many times as I open my laptop.. Pls help..

Attachments

• IMG_20150317_122235.jpg
    IMG_20150317_122235.jpg
    772.5 KB · Views: 4,229
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.