New Update LibreWolf Browser - A fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom

Pixelman

Level 4
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
For reasons unclear I've ended up with quite wide scroll bars - Not sure why as its a new phenomenon, scroll bars on rest of PC OK including Edge?
Same here, also some changes added to how the browser theme works.

Good thing is, I run my browsers in Sandboxie+ so I can revert the update/change.

Last edited:
Reactions: simmerskool

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
LibreWolf v 111.0-3 released.

1679116754991.png

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Tried this browser in Linux, I don't like it. Why on earth would a browser depend on remote TCP Port 80, especially when Enable HTTPS-Only Mode is selected? Firefox doesn't require that port. The problem is reproducible and the firewall logs prove it with blocked connection attempts to 80 if the Allow rule for the port is not present. What's really odd are the "Secure Connection Failed" results, but the logs match exactly the time when these happen, and it's always remote port 80 being blocked, not 443, the latter of which i of course have a rule for.

Librewolf blocked pages.png

If I create the rule for Port 80, Librewolf will connect no issues, even for secure (HTTPS) connetcions.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Tried this browser in Linux, I don't like it. Why on earth would a browser depend on remote TCP Port 80, especially when Enable HTTPS-Only Mode is selected? Firefox doesn't require that port. The problem is reproducible and the firewall logs prove it with blocked connection attempts to 80 if the Allow rule for the port is not present. What's really odd are the "Secure Connection Failed" results, but the logs match exactly the time when these happen, and it's always remote port 80 being blocked, not 443, the latter of which i of course have a rule for.

View attachment 274212

If I create the rule for Port 80, Librewolf will connect no issues, even for secure (HTTPS) connetcions.

The answer is in LW's FAQs

I'm getting "SEC_ERROR_OCSP_SERVER_ERROR". What can I do?#

We enable OCSP in hard-fail mode, meaning that if the revocation status of a certificate cannot be verified because the CA cannot be reached, then it will be treated as broken. While this improves security, it could also decreases usability as OCSP servers tend to be down often.

If you're experiencing this error:

• OCSP servers tend to get blocked by host files and blocking lists by mistake, so check your firewall and blocking lists first.
  • OCSP is not compatible with most proxy and vpn extensions, so that's also something to consider.
If instead a server is actually down, you can consider disabling hard-fail mode in the LibreWolf settings, or using overrides.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Thanks! Too bad this used port 80. The paradox here is that HTTPS-only mode should imply only TCP port 443 is used by the browser. I only did a few WHOIS checks, but one of the blocked IP addresses to 80 was actually a Google server.

From my above post #248 remote address 192.229.221.95:80 points to

BTW, did you enable Google Safe Browsing? It connects to Google

1680612615887.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 97327

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What happened to LW today, it has completely reset. I wonder, if it has something to do with me using portable LW yesterday or it just updated, still it makes no sense. :unsure:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just a note

I won't be posting here (and at Mullvad browser) for some time as my laptop having LW/Mullvad browsers has crashed. I'm setting up another laptop, without LW and Mullvad browsers, as the mentioned browsers are NOT officially supported by BitDefender Total Security

The latest update can be obtained here or use the LW WinUpdater

Those using LW please can someone continue the update? Just wait for 3 days after Firefox update and you'll get LW update. For Mullvad browser you'll need to wait longer.........after TOR update.

Thanks

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.